TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best tire for 21's

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Merrill, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I will be installing 21's on my 60, going from 19's and aside from handling and wear looking for the smoothest tire with the least noise. The tire rack says either the oem conti's or Michelin ps2. Is there anyone that has the Michelin and how is the noise. I realize that are very expensive but would install them if they are the best for minimal noise.

2. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

The PS2 are not minimal noise tires. They are louder than the continentals but handles better. You trade noise for handling.

3. gimp_dad

gimp_dad Member

Conti DWs are definitely quieter than the PS2s but most likely the DWs will still be louder than the 19" tires (not sure about Goodyear's but I hear the Primacy tires are quieter than all the 21" options).

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I notice that no one mentions Pirelli P Zero Nero 21's, is this not a good option

5. Odenator

Odenator P2607

I replaced my Conti's with the P Zero Nero and will likely go back to the Conti's when these wear out. The reason is that the Nero's are a high perf all season tire and I have noticed an increase in my Wh/m with them compared to the Conti's (I know it is a N=1 and ancedotal observation). They do well in the wet NW weather and are not too loud. I use 19" snow tires during the winter so I think I want to go back to high perf summers on the 21".

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm confused. Tire Rack does not list a 21" size for the Zero Nero all season tire.

7. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

They show the P Zero Nero 245/35ZR21 on the web site, but does not get good reviews.