Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

best tire, quiet tire, comfy tire. Continental, goodyear, bridgsetone, michelin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can afford to replace tires at any time, but I'm not a fan of replacing tires way before their safe treadlife has expired. That's why the "noise" issue at around 30k was troublesome, as the tires still had another 12-15k miles of tread left.

I can afford to replace tires at any time, but I'm not a fan of replacing tires way before their safe treadlife has expired. That's why the "noise" issue at around 30k was troublesome, as the tires still had another 12-15k miles of tread left.
In my case, the "S" in DWS has worn off by 30k miles, leaving only D and W. The W usually wears off by 35k. When the W has worn off, the tires get a little squirrely in wet/windy conditions. I run the DWS-06 on 3 different cars, and have never really noticed any noise issues. But like I said, regardless if the tires may be noisy or not, they are still better than the competing Michelin and Bridgestone tires... I've run the Pilot Sport AS and AS3. Those tires suck.. I always had uneven wear on those tires, despite getting yearly alignments. (I had to replace the Pilot Sport AS/AS3 between 20k and 30k miles) Even Discount Tire told me it was a known issue with the Pilot Sports because of the differing tread compounds used on the shoulders.. The Potenzas wore evenly, but were terrible compared to the DWS and Pilots in almost every weather condition. Less grip and cornering response in the dry, less grip and response in the wet, and nonexistent traction in even light snow.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
In my case, the only issue I have with the Vredestians, is that the tire is a "Grand Touring" tire, wheras most of the tires I buy are usually in the Ultra High Performance All Season category, because I lean towards spirited driving. Most grand touring tires I've run, tended to have rather shitty dry/wet performance.. That would be my only tradeoff with the DWS vs Vredestians, is that one has better snow traction being an all weather tire vs all season tire, but the other probably has superior dry/wet handling. At least that's my take on it...
Ah. I definitely shop tires in UHP all season, summer, or performance winter. I noticed Tirerack and Discount Tire don’t have an “all weather” category yet, much less a performance all weather.

I'm about to replace the original 245/45-19 goodyear eagle tires on my 2017 S75 RWD at 34k. I've narrowed it down the Continental DWS 06 Plus based on this thread and tire rack ratings, and the Pirelli P7's. It appears the older P7s, which are "LRR", are still available. The DWS tires will be better for performance and safety, so the only motivation for considering the P7s is the lower roll resistance. I've read some comments that the DWS 06 tires aren't bad on efficiency. Because I have an S75, I'm sensitive about range loss on long trips. Any idea how much efficiency loss I should expect for DWS 06 vs the goodyear eagles and the P7s?

On more to consider is Vredestein Quatracs. Not an EV specific tire but quite happy with them on our LRMY.
Bought the Vreds for my 2020 BMW 3 series AWD. Then traded the car for my 2020 Model Y LR. So, did not get to really evaluate them. Initially they appeared to be super. However just read a review in TR on them and the customer said they started out great but then seemed to change with some miles on them. Let us know if you continue to see nice performance, please. More urgently, did it soften the ride? Still getting used to the firm suspension.

I like the P7's. Low Rolling Resistance, good treadwear, quiet. I've heard, poor in the rain. Since it never rains in So. California, I can't address wet traction, but I think TireRack did rate them marginal in that category
I couldn't find the older version of the P7's on TireRack's website. The newer model (P7 II) is rated very high for wet driving (9.2) but I see on consumer reports that the prior version (the non-IIs) is rated average for wet drivign. We get rain in North California, at least we used to, so have to think about that. I'm guessing that Pirelli traded better wet traction for rolling resistance when they design the P7 II, but who really knows.

Bought the Vreds for my 2020 BMW 3 series AWD. Then traded the car for my 2020 Model Y LR. So, did not get to really evaluate them. Initially they appeared to be super. However just read a review in TR on them and the customer said they started out great but then seemed to change with some miles on them. Let us know if you continue to see nice performance, please. More urgently, did it soften the ride? Still getting used to the firm suspension.
We have put a bit over 11k mi on them now and I have’t noticed any change yet. They did soften the ride a bit but lowering the PSI from 45 to 42 made a bigger impact than the tire type. They certainly made the ride quieter.

I wonder if anybody has tried the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. They are carried by Discount Tire and price is MUCH better than the others mentioned. I have used Coopers on my truck and found them to be outstanding.
Following up (over a year later) for the archives.

I just put the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring on my 2020 MY LR. So far really like them.... about 100 miles in. Seems quieter than factory Continental Extreme Contact RX. Wh/Mile seems a bit better too.

Have had the DWS 06 pluses on two cars (no Teslas). I did notice the ride got firmer when they moved to the "plus" variant several years ago. Noise seemed pretty consistent (and reasonable) through the first 30K miles on our Volvo XC60 AWD.
On our Model S I went with the OEM Goodyear Comfort model with the noise absorbing foam (note: attenuates certain higher pitched frequencies...like the "ping" of a basketball hitting a wood floor...not so much the low rumble stuff).