Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best tires for standard aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there better tires anyone would recommend than the ones that come with the standard aero wheels on the m3?

In another thread you mentioned you just crossed 10k miles. Are you already needing new tires?

It was my impression that the MXM4s are asymmetric but not directional, meaning they have an outside and inside face, but can rotate in either direction. If they were directional, you would not be able to do a rearward cross when rotating the tires, and could only swap front and rear on the same side.

In another thread you mentioned you just crossed 10k miles. Are you already needing new tires?

It was my impression that the MXM4s are asymmetric but not directional, meaning they have an outside and inside face, but can rotate in either direction. If they were directional, you would not be able to do a rearward cross when rotating the tires, and could only swap front and rear on the same side.
No I definitely dont need new ones... but if there were better ones out there I wouldn't mind getting them. Looks like ill be sticking with them until they're worn out. Im getting some slight vibration feedback 60mph, but think thats just needs rotation and re alignment

My understanding is that these tires are about as good as it gets for efficieny which is why Tesla chose them. Ignore the guy saying to get Michelin Pilot Sport PS4s...he must think he's going to win the daily commute race.

No, I think I'm going to stop ~30 feet shorter when I hit the brakes, because that's how physics works.

Why else do you think the "regular" model 3s need 130+ feet to stop but the P+ (with PS4 tires) stops comparable to an M3 (99 feet)

I'll take a couple less miles of range in exchange for 20%+ shorter stopping distances any day. The fact the car can also take turns faster is a nice bonus though.

Last edited:
I'll take a couple less miles of range in exchange for 20%+ shorter stopping distances any day. The fact the car can also take turns faster is a nice bonus though.

+1

The MXM4s are actually a 'good' all season tire though. I plan to use them on the 18 Aeros (uncovered) for the wet months in the PNW, and a separate set of wheels/tires for the summer (Titan7 TS-5 forged from the group buy, with Pilot PS4s).

+1

The MXM4s are actually a 'good' all season tire though. I plan to use them on the 18 Aeros (uncovered) for the wet months in the PNW, and a separate set of wheels/tires for the summer (Titan7 TS-5 forged from the group buy, with Pilot PS4s).

Try the Michelin X-Ice tires for the wet months after the MXM4s wear out. I had them on my model S and they were excellent for Spring-Winter-Fall in Portland. They give great traction in wet and I love the sound they make driving through water too : )

Try the Michelin X-Ice tires for the wet months after the MXM4s wear out. I had them on my model S and they were excellent for Spring-Winter-Fall in Portland. They give great traction in wet and I love the sound they make driving through water too : )

Cool, thanks for the recommendation - I will keep them in mind! I was also thinking Conti DWSs since I had good luck with them on my STi, but a real-world use case for the X-Ice is also worth it's weight.

Did you by chance run them a couple years ago when Portland got buried in ice/snow? If so, any issues?

Reactions: Remonster
Cool, thanks for the recommendation - I will keep them in mind! I was also thinking Conti DWSs since I had good luck with them on my STi, but a real-world use case for the X-Ice is also worth it's weight.

Did you by chance run them a couple years ago when Portland got buried in ice/snow? If so, any issues?

Not only that, but I take the mountain passes on some weekends. They do great and you get around the chains or traction tires requirement.

I love the MXM4's. My old car used the same tires... I had 180,000+ miles on them and each set last 60,000 miles. They were 17" though and I drove a lot slower with my old car. Will see how long these Acoustic Tech 18" version will last... probably closer to 30,000 or 40,000....

My understanding is that these tires are about as good as it gets for efficieny which is why Tesla chose them. Ignore the guy saying to get Michelin Pilot Sport PS4s...he must think he's going to win the daily commute race.

This might be the conventional wisdom, but the 4S is actually a low rolling resistance tire as well. The real question is does anybody have any data and the answer is probably not. In any case they put the 4S on the performance version, and where the slight mileage differences appear to be due to the second motor and not to the tire. So I would say that unless somebody has any definitive data on rolling resistance that the range loss in going from the all season to the pilot sport 4S is not going to cost you much range if any.

There is no such thing as the "best" tire. That completely depends on your objectives for the tire. Most items in tires that you might want to optimize come as trade-offs for other items. If you want a smoother ride, your going to sacrifice some handling. If you want high traction in snow, you're going to get terrible tread wear on hot dry pavement.

You need to define what items you want out of a tire:
  • Dry Traction
  • Wet Traction
  • Snow/Ice Traction
  • Handling
  • Tread Life
  • Efficiency
  • Ride Quality
  • Noise Level
  • Convenience (All-Season vs. separate summer/winter tires)
  • Price/Value
Is the Michelin Primacy MXM4 the "best" tire? Well, if you like efficiency and smooth ride, then it's up there in the top choices. If you want to drive the car hard around corners on the track then it's not going to deliver. You'd want the Pilot Sport 4S for that.

Either one of them are some of the best tires at allowing you to crash repeatedly into other cars if you use them on ice. If you need to do that, then find some Nokian Hakkapeliittas.

There's dozens of tires out there that fit the Model 3. You can find one that approximates most of what you want, but you have to know what that is.

There is no such thing as the "best" tire. That completely depends on your objectives for the tire. Most items in tires that you might want to optimize come as trade-offs for other items. If you want a smoother ride, your going to sacrifice some handling. If you want high traction in snow, you're going to get terrible tread wear on hot dry pavement.

You need to define what items you want out of a tire:
  • Dry Traction
  • Wet Traction
  • Snow/Ice Traction
  • Handling
  • Tread Life
  • Efficiency
  • Ride Quality
  • Noise Level
  • Convenience (All-Season vs. separate summer/winter tires)
  • Price/Value
Is the Michelin Primacy MXM4 the "best" tire? Well, if you like efficiency and smooth ride, then it's up there in the top choices. If you want to drive the car hard around corners on the track then it's not going to deliver. You'd want the Pilot Sport 4S for that.

Either one of them are some of the best tires at allowing you to crash repeatedly into other cars if you use them on ice. If you need to do that, then find some Nokian Hakkapeliittas.

There's dozens of tires out there that fit the Model 3. You can find one that approximates most of what you want, but you have to know what that is.
Very well said, sir!