Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Best % to go on the X for charging

I've read all the 3's info on charging.(only cuz I I was just cruising the forum) But now I'm very interested in best advise on chrging my X Daily, not daily 80%,/ 85%...I very rarely do more than 10-25 mi a day. Currently been charging 85% usually every day unless I only go 6 mi that day. Any insight is always appreciated! On weekends it does get used more, but always only around town...10-30 mi then The car is 6wks old 2019 Raven 325 mi capacity Thanx in advance

I've read all the 3's info on charging.(only cuz I I was just cruising the forum) But now I'm very interested in best advise on chrging my X Daily, not daily 80%,/ 85%...I very rarely do more than 10-25 mi a day. Currently been charging 85% usually every day unless I only go 6 mi that day. Any insight is always appreciated! On weekends it does get used more, but always only around town...10-30 mi then The car is 6wks old 2019 Raven 325 mi capacity Thanx in advance
Charging 90% is fine per Tesla, but personally, if I was in your scenario with no concern of needing to drive further, ever, and in the habit of always being plugged in at home, I'd probably only charge to 60%.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
I think 70-80% would be fine. 60% is to low, in my opinion if you want to go somewhere further on a moments notice.

I think 90%, with that little usage, (like myself) daily isn't a great idea. Also the higher the battery the more impact from limited regen as it gets colder.

Charge to 90% every day @40F vs Charge to 70% @40F you will see a significant difference in Regen limitation.

That said, I saw a bigger difference on the Model 3 vs Model X w.r.t. SOC and limited regen.

Reactions: Hebert
My parents have an Model X 100D, and what they describe is charging weekly every Thursday. I am not really sure how many miles they drive, but is this a bad practice? My impression is they drive around town like 10 miles on the weekdays and then use it for longer distances on the weekend.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
It's all over the map but for simplicity since 2012, I have set my charge at 90% as I was told throughout the past 7 years from different Service Centers.

It's confirmed by another owner who got that same advice from Service Center today.

A popular youtuber Like Tesla also confirmed the same 90% advice last year.

The rationale is to reduce calibration drifts as owners have been concerned that their battery gauge shows fewer miles as time passes.

Kuhz

Oct 25, 2017
Mars
My parents have an Model X 100D, and what they describe is charging weekly every Thursday. I am not really sure how many miles they drive, but is this a bad practice? My impression is they drive around town like 10 miles on the weekdays and then use it for longer distances on the weekend.

Tesla recommends having the car plugged in when possible. If they have a way to do that but choose to only plug in weekly, then yes its a bad practice

• Disagree
So far with the limited driving i'm doing with the early build 2019 X I have only been charging once a week, normally Sunday night. It goes from about 40-45% up to about 85% and that is where i have it shutting down. If I know I'm going to drive any distance over 100 miles i run it up to 90% the night before. So far seems to be working well/

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC