Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best toll road transponder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i recently received my first EV, an X. What is the best transponder to get for an EV? I have seen ones with and without switches.

It seems that every road has their own transponder and website; it is tether confusing as all of the transponders work on all of the roads in Califormia, correct?

Congratulations on the Model X! Haven't seen anyone answer you so I'll give it a shot.

I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. Here, all of the toll transponders are run by Fastrak; they can be used for bridges, express lanes, and some parking garages. I know of internal transponders (designed to mount on the inside of the windshield) with and without switches, and external transponders designed to mount on your license plate. The switches indicate how many occupants are in the vehicle and are used for certain express lanes; here, EVs can set the switch to "3" (the highest number of occupants) and receive free or favorable pricing. I think most of what I wrote is applicable to you in Southern California as well. I'm not sure how interroperable transponders are, but it's my understanding that a transponder issued in the Bay Area can be used on a number of toll / express roads in Southern California.

I drive a Model S manufactured about a year ago. Some versions of the Model S (including mine) have a metallic coating on the windshield that prevent the internal transponders from working; some of us have taken to putting our transponders on the rear windows. I'm not sure how an internal tolltag would work on that gorgeous windshield you have on your X. Have you tried looking on the Model X forums (try the Interior/Exterior subforum)? Or asking your DS? You might need to do some experimentation (if your order your tolltag see if they can send you some extra velcro strips so you can experiment with placement).

Hope that helps!

Bruce.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Fanatic1
Congratulations on the Model X! Haven't seen anyone answer you so I'll give it a shot.

I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. Here, all of the toll transponders are run by Fastrak; they can be used for bridges, express lanes, and some parking garages. I know of internal transponders (designed to mount on the inside of the windshield) with and without switches, and external transponders designed to mount on your license plate. The switches indicate how many occupants are in the vehicle and are used for certain express lanes; here, EVs can set the switch to "3" (the highest number of occupants) and receive free or favorable pricing. I think most of what I wrote is applicable to you in Southern California as well. I'm not sure how interroperable transponders are, but it's my understanding that a transponder issued in the Bay Area can be used on a number of toll / express roads in Southern California.

I drive a Model S manufactured about a year ago. Some versions of the Model S (including mine) have a metallic coating on the windshield that prevent the internal transponders from working; some of us have taken to putting our transponders on the rear windows. I'm not sure how an internal tolltag would work on that gorgeous windshield you have on your X. Have you tried looking on the Model X forums (try the Interior/Exterior subforum)? Or asking your DS? You might need to do some experimentation (if your order your tolltag see if they can send you some extra velcro strips so you can experiment with placement).

Hope that helps!

Bruce.

Thanx Bruce, great information. I have tried to post in the California sub-forum as it is California specific. I am about to post to the X forum to get more visibility.

Hope that helps!

Bruce.
In NorCal I think they are trying to move everyone to switched which can be used on those express lanes in addition to the bridges and airport parking.

I have a 91 Toll Roads transponder in our Tesla since we get FREE 91 Toll Road access during most hours / days: http://www.91expresslanes.com/pdf/specapp.pdf

more info in this previous thread: California: Free 91/110/10 Express Lane Access

Yes the 91 Toll Road transponder works on the other toll roads too like the 73. I think the 91 Toll Road accounts also don't charge a "standby" charge each month like The Toll Roads do for "inactive" accounts.

Great info, thanx.