Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Top Tether Anchor for Forward-Facing Car Seat in Roadster 1.5 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg

I replaced an existing M6x2" bolt with a 1/4"x3" eye bolt to create an anchor point for the top tether of my forward facing car seat today in my Roadster 1.5. Has anyone found a better anchor point? I had originally planned to use an M6 eye bolt to replace an existing M6x1" bolt in the roll bar, but this seemed to be a better anchor and also a more hidden install.

thoughts or suggestions to improve the install?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 703
The original owner of my roadster had a switch installed that deactivated the passenger side airbag (I have a hidden hole by the fuse panel). It was removed when the vehicle was reconditioned for the CPO.

I didn't understand. What are you fixing in that eye bolt?
Good Idea, but not appropriate to fix any heavy load. it's just screwed through 1.5 mm aluminum;)

The purpose of the anchor is to affix the top latch of the forward facing car seat to it. The top latch helps reduce lateral and forward movement during an impact. The seat belt is used as the primary method of attachment. In every day operation there is no load on the anchor. However, I am looking for something attached to the tub to screw into. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

There is no anchor point and it is not appropriate to install any car seat in the roadster. The airbag cannot be disabled and it is unsafe for any child to sit in the front seat.

The airbag can be disabled by means of a user-installed kill switch after obtaining written authorization from the NHTSA. That is a matter of time and some money and is very resolvable. Now I am trying to figure out where best to install an anchor for the top latch. Thank you for your response however it is both inaccurate and unhelpful.

There is no anchor point and it is not appropriate to install any car seat in the roadster. The airbag cannot be disabled and it is unsafe for any child to sit in the front seat.

Just to clear up a few things. I think the perceived danger of air bags, seat belts and motorcycle helmets are exagerated. I'm a trauma surgeon and have seen a plethora of motor vehicle injuries. I have seen very serious injuries and fatalities as the result of airbags and seatbelt use, but the number of saves WAY outnumber them. The airbag study involved 1.8 million deployments. It was determined that 2620 people survived as a result of the airbag and many others avoided more serious injuries. There were 38 adults and 49 children killed, most of both groups were improperly restrained or positioned. Most of the adults killed were drivers and obviously, all of the children killed were passengers. That's where the misconception stems from. But, 12 of the children were in a rear facing car seat, 4 were on the lap of an adult, 25 were completely unrestrained, and the other 8 were wearing their belt improperly or not in the proper child seat.

It is recommended that children under 12 ride in the back. Some state or local governments may say otherwise, but it's not a federal law. The key to successful air bag use is being far away enough from the airbag to allow it to deploy, prior to hitting it (>10"). A rear facing child seat should never be used in the front, because they are already too close. Children should never sit on the lap of an adult. Not only are they too close to the airbag, but they are more likely to be crushed by the adult. Everyone should wear a lap and shoulder belt. Children should be in a properly sized booster.

I regularly transport my 5 and 8 year olds. I have no intention of installing an air bag switch. I leave it up to each of you to decide for yourselves based on the data.