Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Travel WiFi Router/Bridge to Connect to WiFi Requiring Authentication and/or Credentials?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[First off if there's an existing thread on the topic please feel to merge - I searched but did not find anything.]

Happy owner of a 2017 S, now with MCU2. WiFi signal reaching my garage at home's always been a challenge and I'm starting to rethink my WiFi strategy, which in part lead me to create this thread.

I do - or did - a fair amount of travel prior to COVID. Picked up a HooToo travel router a few years ago to share WiFi among my devices on the road and found it very practical. Basically the travel router acts a bridge between the network which may require authentication (think the WiFi at a hotel where you have to sign in with your room number / name - xfinity is another example) and whatever devices you may have - an iPhone, tablet, and laptop in my case. By having the travel router act authenticate to the public network and then connecting your actual devices to the router, you don't have to in turn re-authenticate each individual device to the public network. Very useful.

What does this have to do with a Tesla, you ask?

The browser in the car is "limited" [cough!] in its ability to load authentication / "click YES to sign on" / etc. pages when connecting to a public network. By having the car connect to a travel router via wifi, connecting the travel router to the public wifi for internet access, and then having the travel router create a bridge between the two networks allows a workaround to allow the car to connect to networks it may not be able to do so otherwise for lack of the ability to authenticate credentials with the built-in browser in the S.

Have not yet tried this beyond toying with my existing HooToo router (couldn't get the car to connect to the HooToo oddly enough, but whatever) but placed an order for RAVPower AC750 and will start playing around with it in earnest this week when it comes in. Of note is the router has a built-in battery which should provide power for a few hours to the router if the car is not providing power and then charge up when the car is providing power (I know people can tap various "always-on" power sources but that's a little too much for what I'm willing to do).

Curious to hear what others have done and/or their experience in using a travel router to connect their Teslas to WiFi networks they would not otherwise be able to do so.

Nope. But taking another crack at it.

Was thinking about this:

But gotta figure out a battery solution for it.
Ordered and setup the router; 2023 X had no issues connecting to 2.4ghz bands but could not get it to connect to the 5G bands.

Also no issues with using it to relay xfinity, but I first had to sign in via my laptop to authenticate (i.e. the router bridges the xfinity wifi to the local wifi, my computer connects to the local-now-bridged-to-xfinity-wifi, and then I authenticate through my computer).

Still looking for battery solutions as my ideal goal would be to leave the router in the back of the car - passenger side cubby with the 12v port - but with a constant source of power.

Would this be possilbe to do with a raspberry pie Plugged into the cigarette Lighter? it might be expensive and hard to setup, I dont know the exact steps to execute this, Just an idea.
Don't know enough one way or the other for that.

I did grab this battery/powerpack (needed pass-through power to supply continuous power to the router) and will test it out for a week or so.

The wifi router is working well - able to connect to xfinity and authenticate with my laptop and then have the car connect to the wifi router. Just need to figure out a way to keep it juiced, but think that battery pack mentioned above will do the job.