Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Trunk-Mount Bicycle Rack for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the best trunk-mount bicycle racks available for the Model Y? We have lots of mounting options for the Y now that Tesla offers a tow hitch and roof rails. Nevertheless, I am most interested in finding the most secure, easy-to-install trunk mount rack for two bicycles. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m specifically looking for a trunk-mount bike rack since I don’t have a hitch on my Model Y. Although I’m aware there are aftermarket hitch options available, it would probably cost over $1300 to install a hitch and buy a hitch rack.

Another recommendation for a 1UP bike rack if you plan to or already have a hitch. I would say getting a hitch installed is definitely the best option, and getting a 1UP tray rack to go with it for bikes is the best combination out there.

If you don't want to spend the coin to get a hitch installed in your Y, or spend a lot less coin to get a hitch and install it yourself, then check out the Seasucker options:

Bike Racks

I have a Saris Bones bike rack from my Chevy Volt with the hatch huggers, I can try and see if it fits securely on. I don’t see why it wouldn’t just have to adjust it and make sure it doesn’t scratch the car. I’ll be able to test this when I take delivery in a week.

I have a Saris Bones bike rack from my Chevy Volt with the hatch huggers, I can try and see if it fits securely on. I don’t see why it wouldn’t just have to adjust it and make sure it doesn’t scratch the car. I’ll be able to test this when I take delivery in a week.
Any luck with the Saris Bones hitch on your Model Y? I have yet to find a manufacturer that offers a trunk hitch for the MY, perhaps because of the positioning of the glass on the liftgate.

Any luck with the Saris Bones hitch on your Model Y? I have yet to find a manufacturer that offers a trunk hitch for the MY, perhaps because of the positioning of the glass on the liftgate.

After looking at it more (and without actually trying it), it wouldn't be a good idea. As you load bikes on the rack the weight is transferred down and since there isn't a bumper lip it'll just keep sliding down. If it had more a bump ( the volt has a tiny angled bump on the latch) it would work. You might be able to hold one road bike without any problems but I usually take 2-3 bikes and that kind of weight would be too much to put on a edge less bumper.

Thanks for your response. Most of the major bike rack manufacturers got back to me confirming that they do not currently offer any trunk mount racks for the Y. (Thule mentioned that they might begin testing one for the Y next year.)

Looks like I’ll have to install a tow hitch if I want to use a bike rack this year. in the meantime, I’ll continue to transport my bike in the trunk.

Like you, I'd like to find a trunk-mount bike rack for the Model Y, but after looking closely at the Y's back hatch, I don't think we'll be able to find one - here's why: If you look closely at the front lip of the hatch, you'll see that the glass portrudes beyond any metal:

Model Y glass lip.jpg

What this means is that the clips for the rack will be transferring the weight of the bike(s) into a shearing force acting on the glass (trying to pull it off the back of the car). I'd be extremely concerned that hitting a bump with a heavier bike on it (> 25 lbs or so) could either crack/shatter the glass or possibly cause it to detach over time.

I have an Allen Sports Ultra Compact single bike rack that I used hundreds of times over about 8 years on my Nissan LEAF with a 20 lb road bike with great results. I think it will work as well on our Model 3 (again, only with a light bike, due to the aluminum trunk lid):

Model 3 bike rack.jpg

But I don't think I'd trust it on the Model Y except in an emergency, and then only with a light bike. 60+ lb. electric bike? No way.

Like you, I'd like to find a trunk-mount bike rack for the Model Y, but after looking closely at the Y's back hatch, I don't think we'll be able to find one - here's why: If you look closely at the front lip of the hatch, you'll see that the glass portrudes beyond any metal:

View attachment 641037

What this means is that the clips for the rack will be transferring the weight of the bike(s) into a shearing force acting on the glass (trying to pull it off the back of the car). I'd be extremely concerned that hitting a bump with a heavier bike on it (> 25 lbs or so) could either crack/shatter the glass or possibly cause it to detach over time.

I have an Allen Sports Ultra Compact single bike rack that I used hundreds of times over about 8 years on my Nissan LEAF with a 20 lb road bike with great results. I think it will work as well on our Model 3 (again, only with a light bike, due to the aluminum trunk lid):

View attachment 641046

But I don't think I'd trust it on the Model Y except in an emergency, and then only with a light bike. 60+ lb. electric bike? No way.

I have an Allen Sports Ultra 2 and after a quick fit test I believe it will work great. I can't make out exactly where the lip is you are pointing out in your pic, you can see in my pic where I found the best place to secure the hooks. I have to road test it but it felt very secure and not near any glass.

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 788
Reactions: gt2690b
I have an Allen Sports Ultra 2 and after a quick fit test I believe it will work great. I can't make out exactly where the lip is you are pointing out in your pic, you can see in my pic where I found the best place to secure the hooks. I have to road test it but it felt very secure and not near any glass.

I was talking about the front edge of the hatch - the glass protrudes slightly forward of the metal, so if you hook straps anywhere where there's glass, you're hooking on the glass itself. But I see that you attached your straps waayy out on the side of your hatch - on either side of the glass. That should work, as long as they don't slide inward while driving. I don't think that the straps on my Ultra Compact single rack can get that far out, so it may not be an option for me.

Let us know how it works for you when you get a chance to do a drive with a bike or two on it - thanks!

I was talking about the front edge of the hatch - the glass protrudes slightly forward of the metal, so if you hook straps anywhere where there's glass, you're hooking on the glass itself. But I see that you attached your straps waayy out on the side of your hatch - on either side of the glass. That should work, as long as they don't slide inward while driving. I don't think that the straps on my Ultra Compact single rack can get that far out, so it may not be an option for me.

Let us know how it works for you when you get a chance to do a drive with a bike or two on it - thanks!
Checking in. Bike Rack works great. I definitely have to be very careful when placing the hooks. The top ones that are out more to the side stay where they are. All in all it works for me since most of my riding is 10-15 miles away. Saved me a lot of money by not needing to add a hitch and new rack.

Have you ran into issues yet or has it been holding fine and sturdy? Paint chipping ?

Have you ran into any issues yet? Is it hold study and no paint chipping or damage?

Thinking about ordering the one you have in the pic. Any tips would be helpful for installation