Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best TRUNK refrigerator/freezer in 5 seater Model X refresh vs Original Model X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had several Model X .

In the Model X p90d 5 seater I found the best refrigerator solution was to put a Donetic CFX3-35. (35 liter fridge/freezer ) in the lower trunk compartment and then not bother to use the rear trunk cover as it was about level with the seats folded flat . This worked great for groceries , and if I needed more space I would change it to freezer mode and make yeti ice for extra Yeti hopper flips I had and now I had fridge and freezers .

But now this great fridge/freezer won’t fit in the narrower and shallower trunk space of refresh model x. I have a 5 seater so I need something that still fits into the sub trunk .

The fridge freezer must fit in the sub trunk area .

Anyone have working solutions ?

Well all of the dimensions are too tall. And if the smallest was smallest width it would be way too high.

15.67"D x 27.32"W x 16.02"H.
This is the size of the Dometic CFX3-35

The width (length ) is fine . You can just squeeze on Yeti Hopper Flip 18 in there to use as a fridge - and take out the ocassional 2.5 lb T-bone steak to defrost from the dometic freezer to keep the salad in the Yeti cold all day .

The height is about 3 inches above the covers of the load floor ruining the bed . Plus with the cover having to be removed if you take the fridge inside to cook and want to sleep in the car there is no longer a cover so the mattress falls into the pit.

The width is so tight that it practically wedges in and never reaches the bottom- also it has a pitch so it tilts the Dometic CFX3-35 towards the front of the car at about a 12-16 degree angle . Hardly ideal .

The old fridge could sit below the load floor cover and still had room for a layer of 1.5liter Fiji 🇫🇯 water bottles below the Dometic .

It seems only the Donetics were tough enough to work under these conditions …in the old car but in the refresh 2 of the CFX3-35 have failed already . And one Joico also failed .

Putting refrigerator in the Frank is not a good idea because the temperatures can easily get up to 126° inside in the sun, which gets close to being out of the operating temperatures of the fridge. Plus you’re always adding heat to the inside never a good thing a sure Way to burn out a compressor.

And of course, in winter weather, it would be too cold to use it as a refrigerator. Everything would freeze

So really the refrigerator has no choice but to be inside the vehicle and because it will not fit between the first and second rows… and not I the sub trunk or Frunk … the only place to put it is on the passenger seat . Oh wouldn’t that be fun in a crash situation .

If you place it in the rear …. You have to move it everytime you suoercharge and want to take a nap and these things are heavy- even when empty- and an awkward to handle and twist back straining load when eve 1/2 loaded Up.

I must say owning Model X has worked out horribly for me. Initially I was excited for free lifetime super charging , free data , and huge storage capacity - plus a place to out my (2) Mc4000M Macintosh 1000 watt 6 channel
Amps (and no I don’t play obnoxiously loud on the road - I throw block parties with them .

And I loved having the fridge with me as I could shop and charge and not have to return home and put away food and have to go out again .

This new car never would have fit my essential items and I would have never bought a Tesla, as I only bought it to use as a mini camper with the ability to tow a larger airstream ( which BTW they really don’t do a great job at that in the cold and Mountains . ) So I would have to use the mini camper set up in winter which means I need a fridge .

In The old Model X two Yeti hopper flip 18 in the Frunk worked as freezers and the sub trunk was the fridge in the months of Dec-mid March and then I made the dometic into a freezer AFTER mid March and the yetis in the now above freezing Frunk acted as fridges with Yeti ICE in them .

The new refresh frunk is way too small for this. .