Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best USB for dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep thinking of changing my SSD setup for raspberry pi zero - unfortunately it only takes SD cards - but too lazy to put in the work.

But you might consider it - added bonus you don't have to take it out to look at videos.

I'll stick that SSD in my computer then, as extra storage.

I've gone thru many USB drives for this and finally settled on an high performance SD card and a Rapsberry Pi and its flawless. The bast bit is you can set this up to automatically backup the videos when the car comes in range of your home wifi so videos are viewable without having to physically access the SD card!

Reactions: rotor2k
How long have you been running that config? Do you get gapless or any 0/1k recordings? These things fail over time as they wear and its not always obvious. I would think it much too soon for any Model 3 owner in UK to declare any solution flawless.

How long have you been running that config? Do you get gapless or any 0/1k recordings? These things fail over time as they wear and its not always obvious. I would think it much too soon for any Model 3 owner in UK to declare any solution flawless.
I am a Model S owner :). However I haven't been using this setup for that long but i ensured i bought a very high quality SD card which is made for constant rewriting and so far i have had zero corrupt files whilst previously with even the fastest USB drives i was seeing constantly corrupted files.
But the best advantage is the files get automatically downloaded so i can view them whenever! i highly recommend this solution and the Raspberry Pi Zero W only costs about £13 so cheap as chips

Apologies for forgetting you were not Model 3 owner. However it is still not clear whether this option has gapless recording and whether it has 0/1k files - some 0/1k files are legit (such as when a camera fails - rear camera failure will show truncated files whilst it is blank) but others are not - I'm not sure if these are filtered out when served to home network. Just trying to work out what are long term reliable solutions what can be relied on when *sugar* happens, rather than a solution that may appear to work for a few months, but is useless at point of need - bad enough with the number of blind spots not being recorded and ultimate proof is needed - speaking from experience.

Sentry mode has been updated now to overwrite the oldest records hasn't it? in which case is there any need now for a very big card / SSD anymore?
That being the case would having a smaller SD card but changing it often now be a good tactic?
You can get a sandisk 64GB endurance for about £12 is that enough? If so then swapping it out say once a year would not be too big a deal?

quick (hopefully) question for those running the Marcone Teslausb image on a Pi , mine will transfer music from my PC to the drive whilst Pi in the car proving that the WIFI connection is working but will not transfer the Cam clips to the PC, is this an incoming security setup thing ?
Also when putting in the WIFI credentials password, SSID and shared folder password do you use quotes single or double , tearing my hair out,(both music and cam folders on PC are shared R/w to Tesla (new user))
Does work in the car (USB with music and recording cameras) but wont transfer them to home pc when parked or even taken out of car and powered on locally, not plugged into PC.
Any pointers would be great as Im sure its a simple thing ive just not got right.

quick (hopefully) question for those running the Marcone Teslausb image on a Pi , mine will transfer music from my PC to the drive whilst Pi in the car proving that the WIFI connection is working but will not transfer the Cam clips to the PC, is this an incoming security setup thing ?
Also when putting in the WIFI credentials password, SSID and shared folder password do you use quotes single or double , tearing my hair out,(both music and cam folders on PC are shared R/w to Tesla (new user))
Does work in the car (USB with music and recording cameras) but wont transfer them to home pc when parked or even taken out of car and powered on locally, not plugged into PC.
Any pointers would be great as Im sure its a simple thing ive just not got right.
I did have to try a few permutations of quotes but I did figure it out. I'll check when I get home.
I assume your Pi W isn't even getting onto the Wifi? (you check your DHCP server to see if it's been given an IP address).

It does take a couple of minutes after the PI has connected to the network before it starts transferring files - this made me think that mine wasn't working to start with, but it does work!

The fact the transfer of files for the music folder is working means that you do have a working wifi connection, so i suspect the issue is with the share name or login credentials. The settings from my config file relating to the share are as follows:

export ARCHIVE_SYSTEM=cifs
export archiveserver=192.168.0.200
export sharename=TeslaCam
export shareuser=TeslaUser
export sharepassword='password'

192.168.0.200 is the IP address of my server where the share is located
TeslaCam is the name of the Share on the server
TeslaUser is name of the user that has read/write access to the share
password is the password for this user (single 'quotes' are required for this)

Hope this helps... let me know if i can be of further assistance

It does take a couple of minutes after the PI has connected to the network before it starts transferring files - this made me think that mine wasn't working to start with, but it does work!

The fact the transfer of files for the music folder is working means that you do have a working wifi connection, so i suspect the issue is with the share name or login credentials. The settings from my config file relating to the share are as follows:

export archiveserver=192.168.0.200
export sharename=TeslaCam
export shareuser=TeslaUser
export sharepassword='password'

192.168.0.200 is the IP address of my server where the share is located
TeslaCam is the name of the Share on the server
TeslaUser is name of the user that has read/write access to the share
password is the password for this user (single 'quotes' are required for this)
Hope this helps... let me know if i can be of further assistance[/QUOTE]

Thank you for our reply, This is the same as I have and yes WIFI is working as is born out by the music transferring from my PC to the Music folder on the PI, I have also used single quotes on the password the archiveserver bit I have used the PC name and the permanent or preferred IP address of the PC.
I am still wondering if the transfer OUT of music is fine because the security porting out is quite lax but there might be some other security concerns or changes to allow the Pi to write to my PC.
I am using Windows 10 , Virgin Router (set as a dumb router) and an Asus RT-AC68U doing all the split wifi handling and the Pi does show under the 2.4Ghz side with proper Mac addr and Ip address which I can Putty to and SSH.

Hope this helps... let me know if i can be of further assistance

Thank you for our reply, This is the same as I have and yes WIFI is working as is born out by the music transferring from my PC to the Music folder on the PI, I have also used single quotes on the password the archiveserver bit I have used the PC name and the permanent or preferred IP address of the PC.
I am still wondering if the transfer OUT of music is fine because the security porting out is quite lax but there might be some other security concerns or changes to allow the Pi to write to my PC.
I am using Windows 10 , Virgin Router (set as a dumb router) and an Asus RT-AC68U doing all the split wifi handling and the Pi does show under the 2.4Ghz side with proper Mac addr and Ip address which I can Putty to and SSH.[/QUOTE]

I diddnt have to change anything else to get this to work..
Could it be that you have windows 10 firewall enabled and blocking the connection? try disabling it temporally and see if that helps?

I am using Windows 10 , Virgin Router (set as a dumb router) and an Asus RT-AC68U doing all the split wifi handling and the Pi does show under the 2.4Ghz side with proper Mac addr and Ip address which I can Putty to and SSH.

I diddnt have to change anything else to get this to work..
Could it be that you have windows 10 firewall enabled and blocking the connection? try disabling it temporally and see if that helps?[/QUOTE]

Thanks will try that.

Turned off Win 10 Firewall, reformatted reflashed redone conf file, Music went into Pi from PC but no clips transferred from Pi to PC, am just about to chuck this in the bin......
I have ran Putty into Pi and pinged my PC so the network is there is there a way to SSH or Putty into the Pi and force the files into PC to see that it works or it might throw up errors that I can then look at.

Cheers

Paul

Turned off Win 10 Firewall, reformatted reflashed redone conf file, Music went into Pi from PC but no clips transferred from Pi to PC, am just about to chuck this in the bin......
I have ran Putty into Pi and pinged my PC so the network is there is there a way to SSH or Putty into the Pi and force the files into PC to see that it works or it might throw up errors that I can then look at.

Cheers

Paul
Hey sorry for the late reply. The following are the only 3 sections in teslausb_setup_variables.conf that are uncommented. Everything else is commented out.

# Default variables for CIFS (Windows/Mac file sharing) setup
export archiveserver=yourfileserver.yourdomain.local
export sharename=TeslaUSB\$
export [email protected]
export sharepassword=RandomPassw0rdH3re
export cifs_version="3.0"
export camsize=100%

# Wifi setup information. Note that Raspberry Pi Zero W only supports 2.4 GHz wifi
export SSID=YourSSIDName
export WIFIPASS=YourWifiPassword

# If doing a headless (i.e. automatic) setup
export HEADLESS_SETUP=true

A few thoughts:

- Don't put any symbols in the sharepassword (the account that accesses the share) password (i.e. keep it to letters and numbers and no spaces).
- I have an Active Directory domain. If you don't, then you can leave off the @yourdomain.local bit.
- Note my share is hidden ($ at the end) which I've escaped (\$). Yours probably won't have the $ on it.
- camsize=100% means I don't need/want a music folder.
- If your Wifi password has any symbols in it, try escaping them (but not all escaping is equal, so if you have several different ones you may be in for an interesting/challenging time. $ becomes \$). Bash escaping rules: Bash Reference Manual
- The way I troubleshooted the mounting of the server drive was to ssh to the Pi, make yourself root (type sudo -i) and then run /etc/rc.local (type /etc/rc.local). Look for things like "Trying mount command-line" and "The archive share is mountable using: mount -t cifs etc...". Hopefully the errors will be semi-obvious.
- Try pinging your fileserver from the Pi.
- Type exit to get back out (i.e. back out of sudo, or to log off the Pi).

Let us know how you get on.

I also use a T5 500GB SSD and it has been working perfectly. Mine is partitioned roughly 50/50 for music files and TeslaCam. Not the lowest cost option but I put a premium on reliability and suitability for purpose, and felt the cost was justified.
I have the same, partitioned the same, works without error, has for months now. Skip the thumb drives, stick drives, micro-whatever cards and the angst that accompanies their evaluation and choices. SSD baby! Large capacity, much faster read/write speeds than necessary, small form-factor though larger than alternatives, and just no worries. $90US when I bought from Amazon.

Reactions: KennethS
I tried using a Raspberry Pi Zero W like this, but kept running into problems with the connection to a PC. I'm near 100% certain that this is just general Windows flakiness around network connectivity, though, as this afternoon I've built up an Odroid HC-1 file server, running Armbian and OpenMediaVault, with a 2 TB SSD and it seems to work flawlessly with the RPi ZeroW as a USB drive.

I'll probably switch out the Samsung T5 USB SSD that I have in the car at the moment and use the RPi Zero W solution with OMV, but it'll have to wait until after Christmas now. I'm happier keeping the little Odroid HC1 on 24/7 than having a PC on 24/7, especially as I've set it up to reboot in the middle of the night, just in case it should crash for any reason. Just a pity that the Odroid is a bit power-hungry for such a small board. Even with an SSD it seems to run a bit warm, but I guess that's the price for having a 8 core processor.