TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best USB key for Audio

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Lycanthrope, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Hi Folks

I remember reading through a long thread on tiny, high capacity USB keys that worked well in the Model S, I searched for this, but can't find the thread...

So with my MS due end March, it's time to get my audio sorted out (assuming version 6 won't fix the iPod connection issue) and get all my ALAC transcoded to FLAC.

Can someone point me in the right direction...?

Thanks
    Dave

2. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

3. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Thank you @simplesolar, but that's rather too low capacity for my needs, I was looking more for 256GB as all my music's lossless.

I see there's a 64GB version of the Cruzer Fit, which would be a temporary solution, but if anyone know a similar profile drive with more GB's...?

Cheers, Dave

4. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

I suggest the USB rotator from Abstract Ocean (the guys doing the Tesla key fob before Tesla made them take the logo'd items down). For just over $5 these allow any USB device to sit flat against the surface that the USB ports are. That way you can use any USB stick or cable without it poking out 90 degrees and get it or the port damaged by cargo, etc.

I bought 2 and perfectly happy with them.

USB Rotator - Abstract Ocean

[​IMG]

5. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Ah yes @SteveW25561, I remember seeing those on the main USB thread, so indeed it's an option, but I do prefer the look of the little tiny ones.

Does anyone have a link to the long thread?

6. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Did you mean This One?

- MDK

7. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Yes @MDK - that's exactly the thread I was looking for. Thanks!

8. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

This may not suit your aesthetic preference but I simply upgraded the internal drive on my laptop and repurposed the old drive for use in the car. It sits in a black case on the floor and I never notice it's there. 750GB of space so plenty for my music collection.

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Ditto. An SSD drive works really well, but a spindle drive comes really close in performance. I've tried both (using spindle now due to higher capacity) and other than a very slight lag when first plugging it in or when resuming music after pausing, it works just fine.

10. jamtek

jamtek Member

That's a cool idea. I take it the old drive was a USB type HDD and it functions just plug and play?

11. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Yes. Make sure it's a low-power drive so that it requires only a single USB port for simultaneous data and power. Some higher powered drive/enclosures use dual USB plugs with the second USB connector providing additional power. This would work, but at the cost of using both of your USB ports in the car. My second USB port typically has an iPhone charging cable plugged into it. As JohnQ pointed out, if you get a black 2.5-inch drive case, it's especially unobtrusive sitting on the floor.

12. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Hmmm, I have a 500GB drive that I'm not using, which just happens to be black. It's all going to be a bit ugly though, I think..,