Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best USB or microsd for v9 dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my question is, presumably could I just plug this card reader into one of the front USB ports, then insert a microSD card (for the dashcam) and insert a regular SD card (for music)? This sounds like it might work if Anker claims that the reader can support simultaneous read/write. And if it works, it's a cleaner solution that eliminates the need for splitters, hubs, etc. Has anyone tried this? Or have any general thoughts on this option?

I'm interested in the answer as well.. Would love to free 1 USB port and/or remove the need for a USB hub.

My inside temps were 99 degrees today in the car with outside weather being in the low 80s. Noticed my USB card is dead. I figured it's from the heat. I'm in the midwest and it survived frigid temperatures. Anyone have any recommendations on a new USB drive?

I'm interested in the answer as well.. Would love to free 1 USB port and/or remove the need for a USB hub.
Just use a large capacity SSD USB drive, partition it into 2 drives, one for the TeslaCam, other for music, etc. The SSD is made for long term read & Write, plus the higher speed reduces or eliminates bad files from the repeater cameras and eliminates music stutter. They do cost upwards of $100, but I think we can all afford that.

Just use a large capacity SSD USB drive, partition it into 2 drives, one for the TeslaCam, other for music, etc. The SSD is made for long term read & Write, plus the higher speed reduces or eliminates bad files from the repeater cameras and eliminates music stutter. They do cost upwards of $100, but I think we can all afford that.

Most USB SSD drives are not rated for extreme temperatures, as they are designed for home or office use. High endurance SD card are specifically designed to be used in dash cams so they can operate in a wider range of temperatures.

Most USB SSD drives are not rated for extreme temperatures, as they are designed for home or office use. High endurance SD card are specifically designed to be used in dash cams so they can operate in a wider range of temperatures.
Good to know, thanks. I'm currently using a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD, 1TB (lots of music). It has an operating temperature range of 0°C to 45°C which should be fine for the interior temp in most USA climates. Probably too low for some of the hot states if parked outside without the cabin overheat protection turned on. Also probably not good for the colder states if parked outside in the winter, but fine for Seattle where I live.