Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best USB stick for Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s as good as any I’m sure. I went with an Amazon buy of a patriot 32GB USB. It’s a 2.0 since that’s all the car can read anyway. The patriot brand was rated as one with very fast read and write speeds. I was having all sorts of problems with generic regular USBs.
Long story short I haven’t had a single issue in over a month with this one.

I am having troubble installing the Dash CAm in my Model S 100d. Even after I reformated the my 128gb 3.0 flash drive, I can't seemed
to get the Icon to come up at the top of the screen. I formated it to FAT32 and still it does not come up, and there anyone the can give a remcomendation. Please help me out.
thanks

I am having troubble installing the Dash CAm in my Model S 100d. Even after I reformated the my 128gb 3.0 flash drive, I can't seemed
to get the Icon to come up at the top of the screen. I formated it to FAT32 and still it does not come up, and there anyone the can give a remcomendation. Please help me out.
thanks

Did you set up the TeslaCam folder as specified? Case sensitive I think.

I bought a Samsung USB 3.0 64GB, but unfortunately it came formatted as exFAT. I read that isn't supported by TeslaCam. Any tips on changing that to FAT32 as required?

I tried the command line format, but received an error, "the volume is too big for FAT32."

Reviving this old thread....
Has anyone noticed a difference using a USB 3.0 (or 3.1)? I have a 32GB USB 2.0 Sandisk. It's okay but I often find that when I view the saved files, some of the saved files are good and others are not. Meaning, rough 20 to 30% of the files are 1kb, non recordings while others are just fine. I also found heavy pixelation on some of the pillar camera recordings when using Sentry mode. I don't know if that's just a limitation with the current DashCam / Sentry mode code or if other USB sticks might provide a better recording consistency.

I guess I'm asking if upgrading to a higher capacity (128 to 256 GB) USB 3.0/3.1 provides a better recording consistency, even though the car only supports USB 2.0.

I've not done enough testing to be certain, but I'm suspecting that ability to handle continuous writes without overheating may be more important than USB2 vs 3.

I switched from a faster SanDisk Ultra FIT 64GB USB 3.1 to a slower High Endurance Sansung micro SD (in a suitable adapter) and the quality seems a lot better.

I do need to do more testing though as I've also had firmware updates that may have been the biggest factor.

Reactions: djlott
Anyone have any issues with video distortion? I'm noticing left repeater videos are distorted and are green for the button half of the videos. Front and right repeater seem fine.

Not sure if it's related to USB?
Fairly common problem reported by quite a few people here, regardless of type of storage media used. More likely a software problem.