Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best used MS? Buying a used Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 70D has also been stellar. I’ve driven 130k and the range range after 6 years is 353km or 220miles, which is not bad considering. Two items I’ve had to perform out of warranty is the 12v battery replacement $180 with mobile service, and the drivers handle. Car still makes me smile when I jump in. I don’t mind the nose cone makes it unique I’m some way.

I have the coil springs the ride is not as harsh as you would think. I have heard air suspension is expensive to fix in comparison.

Only thing on the plate is possibly upgrade to MCU2 but that might stay on hold pendant government push for safety.

Although not new any more, it still has class in comparison to the 3 or Y.

Supercharging is throttled and I’m sure you have read all about that but, in the 6 years I’ve supercharged maybe 8 times. One just to try it and once for need.

love the car and enjoy what you get regardless of other people’s comments.

Reactions: JimEG and dano-oly
Thanks for the conversations (on and off this thread)! After much research, conversation and consternation, we ended up with a clean November 2015 85D AP1, fully loaded, black exterior with tan interior, included factory 19" wheels - San Jose car. Even took a trip over to the Fremont factory for a departing charge and selfie. 800 mile shakedown drive (for free w/supercharging). Smooth, fun and uneventful. The adaptive cruise control and high beams are outstanding and the AP1 was there if I wanted a little more assurance.

I went the 85d route for a few reasons. Budget ($35ish). AP1 is enough tech for us, for now. Wanted a dual motor for our PNW driving conditions. 85 offered a little more range than the 70. I didn't go CPO because I wanted to retain all of the PO's upgrades - lifetime connectivity, AP, free supercharging for life (there is a supercharger a mile from our house this is big perk for us). The charge throttling does not bother me, although if I had bought the car new I would probably not feel that way.

Immediate changes and upgrades -

Nokian WR G4 tires on the factory 19" wheels installed (selling those 20's)
eMMC warranty repair
MCU2 upgrade smoother and faster MCU operation (and our daughter likes to play Stardew Valley)

We did test drive a Model 3 at Tesla, but it was too small - and no hatchback. I suspect we will end up in an D Model Y at some point in the future. Knowing what is coming with body casting improvements and cells, we will wait for these manufacturing changes, and let it shake out in the real world out for a while.

We are pretty excited. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    586.4 KB · Views: 134
Congrats! I bought a cheap used 2015 P85D last December from a private party and I'm pretty happy with it overall. How is your supercharging speed? Mine seems to be "chargegated" so that is my biggest disappointment and I'm hoping it can be resolved before it's out of battery warranty period. I've found the MCU1 performance with AP1 is much better than our X with MCU1/AP2.5. I'm also going to do chrome delete and wait for a new Tsportline front bumper refresh to make it look more like the latest S refresh :)

Thanks for the replies. The 3 felt too small for my family. The S has more room for us and gear.

Any feedback on the nose cone 15’/16’ 70d? I’ve been devouring search results for the 70d here, and one person posted that it has been an extremely reliable MS and has had the fewest reported issues. True? AP1 would be fine for me. I’ve found one with 120k for $33k. All options loaded.
I bought a 2015 70D for my 17yo son. He loves it. We upgraded the MCU daughterboard from Tesla, replaced the steering union, a door microswitch, rear axel seal, and rear lower links. My son and I are the odd ones who like the nose cone more than the newer ones. I have a 2014 P85+ , intentionally wanted nose cone, rwd, P and + suspension. One thing that I don’t like in these cars is the seats, but we have gotten used to them now.

Reactions: JimEG
Mine seems to be "chargegated" so that is my biggest disappointment and I'm hoping it can be resolved before it's out of battery warranty period.

39-64 kw. I've seen the 70's - can't remember specific conditions - maybe early in the charge cycle. Here are few sample photos from my CA - WA trip.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 5.40.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 5.40.33 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 72