Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best used Tesla Model S for commuting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I was referred to this website by a friend. I have purchased a home about 70 miles away from work. I know, I know, that’s quite the distance, but the cost of living where I work is outrageous. Either way, I’m in the market for a used model s. What year and/or battery pack should I be looking at? Is free supercharging still a thing with a used model s? I’m also interested in autopilot so i can minimize risk to crash on my long drive home. Thanks in advance.

Unless you absolutely need the liftgate or the instrument cluster, take a look at the Model 3. Much newer tech (both battery and computers) and it's built with lower maintenance parts so should be cheaper cost of ownership.

Look for a late 2016 - early 2017 Model S 85. Best bang for the buck, as they will have AP2, new front fascia, free supercharging, and plenty of range for the commute without having to run the battery down too far, to preserve the battery longevity. If that's out of your price range, you can go with an AP1 2014-2015 Model S 85 for a bit less, just not quite as good of sensors/cameras for AP.

Look for a late 2016 - early 2017 Model S 85. Best bang for the buck, as they will have AP2, new front fascia, free supercharging, and plenty of range for the commute without having to run the battery down too far, to preserve the battery longevity.

Assuming you mean “75” and not “85”, yes I’d agree.

I do a 120 mile commute in a late 2016 S75 and 110,000 miles later I’m a happy boy. These cars are a great value right now and can be fully upgraded to the latest infotainment and autopilot platform if you so desire.

Reactions: Fortune