Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best V9 Features ONLY for HW 2.0 and 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): Changed the title of this thread to reflect reality. The initial post in this thread was based on being given some not-completely-accurate information, see several posts down.

What a clusterf***.

According to electrek, the really key feature of V9 - the on-ramp to offramp driving with EAP - is only available to HW 2.5 cars. Who gives a crap about Atari games without that? And the new Model 3 UI isn’t really a great selling point on the vertical screen either.

How this is possible, given that I paid for the feature, I have no idea. I wasn’t idiotic enough to pay for FSD, but I figured the hardware would support Smart Summon and Highway driving. Very unfortunate.

The fact that Tesla out-innovates every car company and move so quickly leads to issues like this, where they have pre-sold a feature that it appears they can’t deliver with the computer I have in my glovebox. Whoops.

Tesla Version 9.0: all new features based on your Model 3, Model S, or Model X generation

Last edited by a moderator:
What a clusterf***.

According to electrek, the really key feature of V9 - the on-ramp to offramp driving with EAP - is only available to HW 2.5 cars. Who gives a crap about Atari games without that? And the new Model 3 UI isn’t really a great selling point on the vertical screen either.

How this is possible, given that I paid for the feature, I have no idea. I wasn’t idiotic enough to pay for FSD, but I figured the hardware would support Smart Summon and Highway driving. Very unfortunate.

The fact that Tesla out-innovates every car company and move so quickly leads to issues like this, where they have pre-sold a feature that it appears they can’t deliver with the computer I have in my glovebox. Whoops.

Tesla Version 9.0: all new features based on your Model 3, Model S, or Model X generation
I think Electrek messed up on the date on that one. AP2.0 and AP2.5 appear to be getting the same features for now, with the exception that only AP2.5 is getting the Dashcam feature.

You seem right and electrek seems wrong per the actual release notes. Whew! Very poorly written article.

Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) - Model S/X with AP2&2.5, US ONLY!

Introducing Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) — our newest Autopilot convenience feature, designed to get you to your destination more efficiently by guiding your car on and off the highway. Navigate on Autopilot intelligently suggests lane changes to keep you on your route in addition to making adjustments so you don’t get stuck behind slow cars or trucks.
When Navigate on Autopilot is active, a single blue line indicates the path ahead, keeping your car in the lane. Gray lines highlight lane changes for a more efficient driving route. Navigate on Autopilot will also automatically steer toward and take the correct highway interchanges and exits based on your destination.
You can enable Navigate on Autopilot by going to Controls > Autopilot and first enabling Autosteer. For each route where Navigate on Autopilot is available, you have the option of enabling the feature by pressing the button located in the Navigation Turn List.

Cool thanks. I’ll say one think there is a lot of stuff in this update...

I’m personally worried about UI changes only just got use to this one hope they are not too radical.

Got my X two years ago, been through a couple significant revisions on the UI. There are some things I wasn't really a fan of, but I got used to them. I'm waiting to see how the new paradigm works out - it sounds like it's much more map centric. Tesla can generally be counted on to make a usable interface, even if it isn't what I'd choose myself - and if it doesn't work, fixes are only a firmware update away, unlike any other car to date.

Release notes... what release notes? Are these just taken from the car message?

Also how do you know which AP you have my car is like 3 weeks old so I’m guess 2.0 but could it be 2.5???
This is a rough timeline based on production date of the car:
AP1.0 = October 2014 to September 2016
AP2.0 = October 2016 to July 2017
AP2.5 = August 2017 to current
MCU1 = Prior to February 2018
MCU2 = February 2018 to current

I read the same article, but I'm not seeing where the OP is getting that info.

Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)
For Model 3, and Model S and Model X with Autopilot HW 2.0+ (~Oct 2016 to present) – apparently U.S. only for now.

What part of that is incorrect?

This is so funny. OP is throwing a hissy fit because the latest update is only adding 8/10 of the new features that newer cars are getting. What an entitled world we live in. Has a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi driver ever complained that their car isn't getting the newest feature of a model 2 years newer? Be grateful you're at least going to get blind spot monitoring, new UI, better features all around, and probably countless other small improvements.

Not to mention that Tesla is probably one of the most moral auto manufacturers out there. If they feel like you deserve something, I'm sure there is going to be a massive retrofit.

This is so funny. OP is throwing a hissy fit because the latest update is only adding 8/10 of the new features that newer cars are getting. What an entitled world we live in. Has a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi driver ever complained that their car isn't getting the newest feature of a model 2 years newer? Be grateful you're at least going to get blind spot monitoring, new UI, better features all around, and probably countless other small improvements.

Not to mention that Tesla is probably one of the most moral auto manufacturers out there. If they feel like you deserve something, I'm sure there is going to be a massive retrofit.
I think it has to do with AP2.5 getting rolled out quietly only 10 months after AP2.0 was introduced, and being led to believe it was minor differences that wouldn't lead to any loss in functionality.

They would if they had been told they would get it at a later date, or worse still had paid extra to get it at a later date. You buy the car based on what you were promised. We were promised a car capable of FSD and it is even sold as an option. If Tesla still haven't delivered on that commitment then its not unsurprising that people complain.