Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way / place to see what the Model 3 paint options look like in real life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the end of the month looming, and that new standard/premium internet thing, I'm debating finally configuring or waiting a bit more (merely because the longer I wait, the bigger a down payment I've saved up).

In either case, I think I want Midnight Silver Metallic, but I'd like to view the various options in real life before placing the order.

1) Should I go to a gallery (assuming they have paint samples for the Model 3), or will the look inside be not true to real life outdoors? Or should I go by a service center and just hope to be able to eyeball different vehicles?

2) Are the Model 3 paint options identical to corresponding S/X ones (so that if I see S/X with a given color, I know what the 3 would look like) ?

Go to a nearby Tesla showroom and visit the parking garage. The S and X vehicles used for test drives are parked during the weekends due to the dealership laws. You'll be able to see all the different colors that Tesla currently offers. Just be aware that Tesla offers two different blacks for S and X, but only one of them for Model 3. The other paint colors are the same though.

If you could specify a more specific area in DFW you are, other members in your area might be able to show off their cars.

There is also a meetup planned for next month if you can wait a bit.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Well, I'd like to see the color in daylight, not a parking garage fluorescent lighting ;)

If nobody has a better idea I suppose I'll end up swinging by the nearest Gallery (for me, that is Northpark) and then perhaps try my luck at the nearest service center to see what I can see... wasn't expecting Tesla to try to pressure those of us who haven't configured yet with this standard/premium internet thing, so was biding my time (and would have happily gone to a planned meetup later).

Or maybe just make a longer trip to West Plano if their Gallery isn't storing the cars in a garage ? I can't tell from Google satellite view, it's still just an undeveloped field on satellite view ... other than the trip there and back the Plano locations are probably easier to get in/out of, versus the mall for the Dallas gallery and Love Field for the service center ...

Well, I'd like to see the color in daylight, not a parking garage fluorescent lighting ;)

If nobody has a better idea I suppose I'll end up swinging by the nearest Gallery (for me, that is Northpark) and then perhaps try my luck at the nearest service center to see what I can see... wasn't expecting Tesla to try to pressure those of us who haven't configured yet with this standard/premium internet thing, so was biding my time (and would have happily gone to a planned meetup later).

Or maybe just make a longer trip to West Plano if their Gallery isn't storing the cars in a garage ? I can't tell from Google satellite view, it's still just an undeveloped field on satellite view ... other than the trip there and back the Plano locations are probably easier to get in/out of, versus the mall for the Dallas gallery and Love Field for the service center ...
Southlake is the only one of the four that stores their cars outside. Actually when NTTOG did the Southlake Supercharger party, all colors of M3 were present. It was a treat!

• Informative
Go to a nearby Tesla showroom and visit the parking garage. The S and X vehicles used for test drives are parked during the weekends due to the dealership laws. You'll be able to see all the different colors that Tesla currently offers. Just be aware that Tesla offers two different blacks for S and X, but only one of them for Model 3. The other paint colors are the same though.

If you could specify a more specific area in DFW you are, other members in your area might be able to show off their cars.

There is also a meetup planned for next month if you can wait a bit.
The other black color, obsidian black, is now available on the 3 as well. So all color choices are now identical between S, X, and 3.

While true (as I understand it) that the colors are the same... they can appear subjectively different on differing vehicles based on body shape, character lines, size, et cetera... here in Austin I've managed to see most (although certainly not the Obsidian Black) colors on the 3 itself by occasionally cruising the lot in front of the service center on 183.

As an update, I already configured my car yesterday (went ahead with Midnight Silver Metallic) and got an email today saying a VIN was assigned and asking for pre-approval letter to move things along.

But hopefully anyone else who has the same questions can find them answered here ... :D

My wife and I visited the service center a while back and got to see nearly all the Model 3 colors parked outside in varying stages of cleanliness. We both thought it was useful for narrowing down our color choice. Unfortunately, we had different ordered lists, but hey, that's what marriage is about! Red made the top 1 or 2 on both lists, so it has inched ahead of blue. But she really like midnight silver, which surprised me.

• Helpful
While true (as I understand it) that the colors are the same... they can appear subjectively different on differing vehicles based on body shape, character lines, size, et cetera... here in Austin I've managed to see most (although certainly not the Obsidian Black) colors on the 3 itself by occasionally cruising the lot in front of the service center on 183.

I did the same but I'm in Houston so it was parking lot behind the Service Center on I-45 North. At the time it took a few trips to chance seeing them all. It could end up fewer now as shipment volume picks up?

I even happened to see the Model S Obsidian Black Metallic next to a Solid Black Model 3. It based on that, as well as word on the Model S forums that Obsidian is less vulnerable to swirls and scuffs than Solid Black, that I ultimately decided to pull the trigger on Obsidian for my order yesterday. Kinda risky because paint can take on different characteristics on a different body but I'm likely wrapping anyway, so not as big a deal for me.

• Helpful