Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to convert 30A 125/250V 10/30R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a outlet for my drier that is a 30A 125/250v and the configuration is 10/30. I would like to plug my Tesla into this. All I have is the cord that comes with the car, which is a standard cord. What’s the easiest way to plug my car into this outlet.

I was told by the guy at hone depot that I couldn’t just use an adaptor because it will burn the Tesla cord instantly and it needs some type of power modulator like “juice box”.
Your HD guy was pointing out that the EVSE has to not pull more current than your circuit can bear.
E.g., a 14-50r to 10-30p adapter would indeed have that issue.

The Tesla sold adapter sets the EVSE to match your circuit.
Notice the difference: it is not a generic plug to plug adapter, it is a Tesla specific EVSE plug

Last edited:
I am picking up my model three tomorrow and I have this outlet in my garage from the previous owner. Do you think it’s worth getting the NEMA adaptor for this. How well do you think it would charge. Would it just be worth upgrading to the 14-50 right away?

9B62303D-1E3B-4258-93B3-CB1A620D13A2.jpeg

I am picking up my model three tomorrow and I have this outlet in my garage from the previous owner. Do you think it’s worth getting the NEMA adaptor for this. How well do you think it would charge. Would it just be worth upgrading to the 14-50 right away?

View attachment 645924
That's a 6-30 outlet, Tesla doesn't sell a 6-30 adapter for the NEMA adapter, but you can get this: NEMA 6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

You don't have to upgrade to 14-50 as 30 amps from the 6-30 outlet should be more than enough for normal charging (about 22 miles/hour charging on 30amps).

View attachment 645924
That’s a 10-30 plug. At 240v / 25 amps, it will charge at just above 6 kw, which is plenty for routine daily charging for a commute, but might be frustrating if you need to quickly charge from empty to full. A NEMA 14-50 will charge at 40 amps, or about 60% quicker. A Tesla (or juice box or Chargepoint) wall charger will charge at twice the speed of your existing outlet. How much does speed matter to you? You can always sell the 10-30 adapter if you decide to upgrade.

That’s a 10-30 plug. At 240v / 25 amps, it will charge at just above 6 kw, which is plenty for routine daily charging for a commute, but might be frustrating if you need to quickly charge from empty to full. A NEMA 14-50 will charge at 40 amps, or about 60% quicker. A Tesla (or juice box or Chargepoint) wall charger will charge at twice the speed of your existing outlet. How much does speed matter to you? You can always sell the 10-30 adapter if you decide to upgrade.
That's a 6-30 plug, not a 10-30.

View attachment 645924
You've gotten some great information already, so I don't have much to add, other than to say that I'd do a very thorough job of inspecting the outlet before using it. Turn off the associated breaker, and then verify that there is no electricity at the outlet. Open it up, and check to make sure that the wires are securely and appropriately attached to the receptacle housing. Look for any signs of overheating at the wire attachment points. Also plug in your charging cord and make sure that it makes good, solid contact and isn't loose.

Bad connections cause increased resistance, which causes a lot of heat.

That's a 6-30 outlet, Tesla doesn't sell a 6-30 adapter for the NEMA adapter, but you can get this: NEMA 6-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

You don't have to upgrade to 14-50 as 30 amps from the 6-30 outlet should be more than enough for normal charging (about 22 miles/hour charging on 30amps).
Thanks for the help! I will start with that adapter and go from there. I will also inspect the outlet first. Great advise. I have a super charger 3 minutes away too so I am lucky in that regard!

Reactions: wws and Phlier
Would it just be worth upgrading to the 14-50 right away?
For the 14-50 you'll need a new 50 amp breaker (and an open slot in the breaker box)
new 6-3 wire and a new 14-50 outlet. You can't reuse any of that dryer circuit, the wires are too thin.

Also for standard range plus, it's limited to 32A. So if that's your car, you can't fully take advantage of the 40A charging with the 14-50.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak and Phlier