Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Way to Delay Pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its ironic that after waiting almost 11 months for my MSLR I now want to delay it a little bit. My update EDD is June 18-24 and I have a VIN. But I don't yet have a firm delivery date.

Illinois has a new law taking effect 7/1/22 providing a $4000 rebate. How can I best delay delivery?

• Ask the Sales Advisor
  • Ask his supervisor
  • Ask Tesla corporate
  • Reject the car
  • Claim COVID

Be truthful and ask. I have had dealers on several occasions delay delivery until January 2, so I wouldn't need to pay that year's property tax on the car. One just had the sales order with my signature and let me test drive for a couple of weeks before finalizing. The other made up two sets of papers, one with the current sale dat, and the other with January 2 on it. If I didn't come back, had an accident, or some other unforeseen occurrence, they had my legal signature. Tesla is different in that they don't care, and they are highly automated. Ask them if they can arrange something if the car actually does come in before July 1. You probably won't be the first to ask. It may be worth to reject the car if no other options. That is a bunch of money. You will be waiting a long time if you reject, or you will be paying more than $4000 over your current deal anyway.

Well as of a month ago when I changed to a Plaid from LR, the price on my plaid was the one from February when I placed the initial order ($130k, not $136k). Perhaps things have changed again, but it's worth calling Tesla
The contract says: "If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date." (emphasis added) They usually adjust the price. You got lucky.

The contract says: "If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date." (emphasis added) They usually adjust the price. You got lucky.
I'm not the only one this happened to. Maybe it's because I upgraded. When I called, they simply (re)opened the configurator for me which looked just the way it did when I ordered: same pricing, and no need to order a wall connector.

In any case, whoever is looking to change should simply call to inquire. Don't assume they'll give you the new pricing. At worst, you waste a few minutes and keep your current config; at best, you get your wish.

Reactions: DerbyDave
So, I tried option 1 and asked the SA if they could delay my pick-up by 1 week. He rather curtly said they cannot extend the delivery window into July. All I asked for is July 1st delivery. I asked his boss to call me but still no response.

I'm actually getting quite perturbed. I've waited 11 months and simply asked that they delay delivery ONE WEEK. Keep in mind this car was built in April and has been sitting at another Tesla location since that time.

I'm seriously considering rejecting this car and getting back in the queue. I don't want to change any options, so what do I need to do? Tell them I reject this one and I'll wait for the next one? I'm not sure what the process is.

I don't know, but a search of the TMC forums has:

Tell them you want to delay delivery until after July 1.

The latest info I have is that you can do a hold before your VIN up to 30 days.

After a VIN, you can delay pick up by three days.

You can only reject a VIN twice. If you do a hold you loose one reject opportunity.
What is the difference between putting on a hold and rejecting aVIN? Holding for three days won't help but I'm OK rejecting the VIN and going back in with the other RN1154s

What is the difference between putting on a hold and rejecting aVIN? Holding for three days won't help but I'm OK rejecting the VIN and going back in with the other RN1154s
By rejecting a VIN, you have no control over when they may issue another VIN. With a hold, you have a set time.

How likely do you think it is that after you reject a VIN, the first available VIN from a Friday or Monday build gets assigned to you?

EoQ basically is now. Are you willing to take the chance on getting a car that spends weeks at the SvC?

By rejecting a VIN, you have no control over when they may issue another VIN. With a hold, you have a set time.

How likely do you think it is that after you reject a VIN, the first available VIN from a Friday or Monday build gets assigned to you?

EoQ basically is now. Are you willing to take the chance on getting a car that spends weeks at the SvC?
Currently the last day I can make an appointment to pick up the car is 6/25. I need to pick up no earlier than 7/1. So a Hold don't work.
I'm not clear on what you are saying re rejecting a VIN and Friday/Monday. Also where does it state all this?
BTW - I greatly appreciate the info. I'm really kinda pissed

Currently the last day I can make an appointment to pick up the car is 6/25. I need to pick up no earlier than 7/1. So a Hold don't work.
I'm not clear on what you are saying re rejecting a VIN and Friday/Monday. Also where does it state all this?
BTW - I greatly appreciate the info. I'm really kinda pissed
This thread is meant to provide therapy. Go ahead and vent, you are not alone.

The quality of cars and delivery typically is poor at the EoQ. Cars built at the beginning or end of the week ancedotally have lower quality.

It's not stated officially, but if you reject a VIN near the EoQ, Tesla will try to put you into any car not taken to boost EoQ numbers. With the decrease in quality at this time noted earlier, greater than zero chance you will be offered a rejected or damaged car.

Best of luck, and be sure to bring a checklist to your delivery.

This thread is meant to provide therapy. Go ahead and vent, you are not alone.

The quality of cars and delivery typically is poor at the EoQ. Cars built at the beginning or end of the week ancedotally have lower quality.

It's not stated officially, but if you reject a VIN near the EoQ, Tesla will try to put you into any car not taken to boost EoQ numbers. With the decrease in quality at this time noted earlier, greater than zero chance you will be offered a rejected or damaged car.

Best of luck, and be sure to bring a checklist to your delivery.
Sorry I'm slow.

If I can't hold more than three days beyond my last date of delivery they provided I have to reject?

Can I reject for any reason or no reason?

They won't cancel my order?

What happens then?

Do I get the next VIN for my RN number?

Hello fine people! I have had my Tesla Model S LR on HOLD for almost a month.. Hasn't been cancelled yet going to purchase click ready this weekend tho. Its amazing that the price has jumped almost 9k since February when I first ordered.

pics below... First I called them and told them I was out of the country military.

Attachments

• IMG_9873.jpg
    IMG_9873.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9876.jpg
    IMG_9876.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 120
  • Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM