Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to dust between washes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how you guys do it. General wisdom regarding car detailing indicates that even dragging a microfiber cloth over the paint after washing should be avoided - many people use a blotting technique, or avoid using towels altogether by blowing water off the car, to avoid scratching. And again, this is on freshly-washed paint. Dusting a car seems like a sure way to end up with scratches. I would avoid.
I use a microfiber cloth to dry my car after I wash and rinse and I never have had a scratch, also use a duster and no scratches but I do have Opti-Coat Pro installed.

I just got this yesterday:

51pAvTZFiIL._SX180_.jpg
Ultimate Car Duster 2 Piece Car Cleaning Kit - Interior Duster & Exterior Duster - Lint Free

From Amazon. I haven't tried it yet because the car is too dirty to use it. I have used CA dusters for years, but I thought I would try it. It is microfibre and unbelievably plush. The reviews were excellent. I'll report out when I have time to do a wash and then a dust. Even though I have been happy with the CA duster, it has worn out and started to streak. So I thought I would spend $30 and try something new.

I'll let ya know.
Have you had a chance to use this duster yet?

I don't know how you guys do it. General wisdom regarding car detailing indicates that even dragging a microfiber cloth over the paint after washing should be avoided - many people use a blotting technique, or avoid using towels altogether by blowing water off the car, to avoid scratching. And again, this is on freshly-washed paint. Dusting a car seems like a sure way to end up with scratches. I would avoid.

Absolutely agree. Dusting a car between washes will surely introduce micro scratches in your paint...if you have clear bra, that's a difference story. The film can take that abuse.

Your best bet is to apply a nano coating, even if it's a simple nano spray sealant like CarPro Reload. This will prevent dust from attracting to the paint, nor completely, but enough where you can rinse with DI water and a pressure washer, and you're clean again.

CA duster, detail spray wipe downs, etc. are a guarantee ticket to an expensive paint correction.

IMHO, wiping a dirty car down is like using a baby wipe instead of a shower. They each may get the job done, but only one is actually CLEAN.

Absolutely agree. Dusting a car between washes will surely introduce micro scratches in your paint...if you have clear bra, that's a difference story. The film can take that abuse.

Your best bet is to apply a nano coating, even if it's a simple nano spray sealant like CarPro Reload. This will prevent dust from attracting to the paint, nor completely, but enough where you can rinse with DI water and a pressure washer, and you're clean again.

CA duster, detail spray wipe downs, etc. are a guarantee ticket to an expensive paint correction.

IMHO, wiping a dirty car down is like using a baby wipe instead of a shower. They each may get the job done, but only one is actually CLEAN.

if you like CarPro products and Reload then you probably would like CarPro Ultima Waterless Wash Plus

Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate 16 oz. Bundle w/Bottle and Sprayer - www.CarPro-US.com

I wouldn't dare dry dust a car between washes. It's scratching the paint like mild sandpaper. Yikes.

^^^this.

^^^this.

^^^this.

Update on this duster: I am finding some very fine scratches after trying this out. Fortunately I caught it early enough. It is so dense that it's pretty much impossible to very lightly wipe it across the paint, like the CA duster. So I'll be going back to the tried and true.

51pAvTZFiIL._SX180_.jpg

Ultimate Car Duster 2 Piece Car Cleaning Kit - Interior Duster & Exterior Duster - Lint Free

From Amazon. I haven't tried it yet because the car is too dirty to use it. I have used CA dusters for years, but I thought I would try it. It is microfibre and unbelievably plush. The reviews were excellent. I'll report out when I have time to do a wash and then a dust. Even though I have been happy with the CA duster, it has worn out and started to streak. So I thought I would spend $30 and try something new.

I'll let ya know.

Update:

When I requested a refund, the seller instantly refunded my money and said that I could keep the item "rather than the inconvenience of returning it". Now THAT is great customer service!

Update on this duster: I am finding some very fine scratches after trying this out. Fortunately I caught it early enough. It is so dense that it's pretty much impossible to very lightly wipe it across the paint, like the CA duster. So I'll be going back to the tried and true.

51pAvTZFiIL._SX180_.jpg

I'll let ya know.