Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to find out what options a used Model X has?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

I guess I have a two-fold question. I'm looking at used 2016 and 2017 Model Xs.

Is there a way to find out what options were available for a 2017 Model X and what they cost? I found a site for 2016 options and pricing, but not one for the 2017 Model X.

Two, if a non-Tesla dealer has a Model X for sale and doesn't have the original window sticker, is there a way for a potential buyer to know what options were installed at the factory? I'm looking at one Model X at a dealer, and he has no clue about Teslas nor how to determine what was factory installed on the car.

I called and asked Tesla if they would tell me if I gave them the VIN#, but they basically blew me off.

Thanks.

There are no model years with Teslas. They make changes all the time and this effects the price of the car. For example a couple of months ago they made the $5,000 performance package standard and upped the price by $3,000. So only way to see what was standard and optional, and the associated prices at the time the car was purchased is to see the original invoice.

You might just list what the car has and let people tell you what the options were running at the the time.

Hello-

I guess I have a two-fold question. I'm looking at used 2016 and 2017 Model Xs.

Is there a way to find out what options were available for a 2017 Model X and what they cost? I found a site for 2016 options and pricing, but not one for the 2017 Model X.

Two, if a non-Tesla dealer has a Model X for sale and doesn't have the original window sticker, is there a way for a potential buyer to know what options were installed at the factory? I'm looking at one Model X at a dealer, and he has no clue about Teslas nor how to determine what was factory installed on the car.

I called and asked Tesla if they would tell me if I gave them the VIN#, but they basically blew me off.

Thanks.

EV-CPO has a lookup tool if it has ever been listed by Tesla for sale ...if u post a link im sure there are enough clues to determine what it has

Reactions: EV-CPO
If you can post the last 6 digits of the VINs you're interested in, I can see if we have any of the options data available.

If not, let us know what options are important to you, and we can try to give you clues on how to see if they are installed.

Do you have physical access to these cars, or good photos?

Reactions: P85_DA
Is there a way to find out what options were available for a 2017 Model X and what they cost?
I'm surprised original cost matters in used car sale. Every time we've sold a house, buyers cared about comparable properties in the neighborhood. Not our purchase price or cost of renovations. In business, that's "sunk cost." It matters when you calculate profit.

Assuming you have the used car's VIN, a site like VIN Decoder | TeslaTap will be able to tell you the options installed. As mentioned above, it's tricky because Tesla frequently changes option packaging. When our S100D was produced in July 2017, Sub-Zero and Ultra High Fidelity sound were distinct options. Later in 2017, they were bundled with Premium Upgrade Package. Similarly, Smart Air Suspension was a distinct option on S and X until late 2017, when it became standard.

I wouldn't expect someone to pay more for my mid-2017 car vs. Dec 2017 model with same equipment and mileage simply because my car's window sticker has price tags for options that were bundled in the Dec 2017 car. They would pay slightly less because my car has AutoPilot 2.0 and December 2017 has 2.5.

Once you know the equipment, you can compare the cars you're considering to CPO and showroom/inventory cars on Tesla and ev-cpo sites. Remember to factor in Federal and State tax credits for Inventory and new cars.

If you can post the last 6 digits of the VINs you're interested in, I can see if we have any of the options data available.

If not, let us know what options are important to you, and we can try to give you clues on how to see if they are installed.

Do you have physical access to these cars, or good photos?

2017 Used Tesla Model X at Porsche West Broward Serving South Florida, Hollywood & Fort Lauderdale, FL, IID 18031115

VIN 5YJXCDE27HF025840

All through NickFie.......thanks for your comments.

I am using the EV-CPO site, too. It's a great site. I found a X there last week and it was perfect. However, I didn't realize these inventory cars were turning in less than 24 hours and we lost it.

I posted an example car that we are looking at. I also pasted the VIN. When I called the dealer, he had NO CLUE as to what was on the car other than "my boss thinks it has an autopilot."

I own a Tesla Model S, and my wife now wants an X, white exterior/white interior. She doesn't care about anything else really. However, if the car has other options, I have to have an idea what their original cost was so I can figure out what the cost of the car was before depreciation, tax credits, etc.

So here are some questions:

How do I know if the car has the Premium Ugrades package? Didn't they get rid of this package at some point and add it to the base price of the car?

How can I tell a dealer to check if the X has autopilot software? How do I know what level of autopilot the car has as there are two levels, correct?

How do I know if a car has Ultra High Fidelity Sound installed?

How do I know if the subzero winter package is installed?

How do I know if it has the High Amperage charger upgrade?

Things were much simpler when I got my Model S back in 2013 : )

Last edited:
Your totally right about this question. I see them all the time at the auction and it’s impossible to see what options it has unless you know at that specific time of build what came with what and how.

Eg. how on earth would you ever tell if the car has fsd??? It goes with the car forever and you literally couldn’t find it ever w/out the window sticker. Just one example but even ap at the auction is hard to judge since they all come standard with the same hardware.

2017 Used Tesla Model X at Porsche West Broward Serving South Florida, Hollywood & Fort Lauderdale, FL, IID 18031115

VIN 5YJXCDE27HF025840

All through NickFie.......thanks for your comments.

I am using the EV-CPO site, too. It's a great site. I found a X there last week and it was perfect. However, I didn't realize these inventory cars were turning in less than 24 hours and we lost it.

I posted an example car that we are looking at. I also pasted the VIN. When I called the dealer, he had NO CLUE as to what was on the car other than "my boss thinks it has an autopilot."

I own a Tesla Model S, and my wife now wants an X, white exterior/white interior. She doesn't care about anything else really. However, if the car has other options, I have to have an idea what their original cost was so I can figure out what the cost of the car was before depreciation, tax credits, etc.

So here are some questions:

How do I know if the car has the Premium Ugrades package? Didn't they get rid of this package at some point and add it to the base price of the car?

How can I tell a dealer to check if the X has autopilot software? How do I know what level of autopilot the car has as there are two levels, correct?

How do I know if a car has Ultra High Fidelity Sound installed?

How do I know if the subzero winter package is installed?

How do I know if it has the High Amperage charger upgrade?

Things were much simpler when I got my Model S back in 2013 : )

That’s a tough one. I think you’d need to spend some time with the car to answer those questions unless EV CPO has the details. Specifically:
- PUP package: Ventilated seats may suggest it has PUP, but I would check to see if it has self-presenting opening of doors as an option or bioweapon defense mode as an option for the AC mode. Those would confirm. The BWD may be easiest to check (caveat: some ppl have been able to add it as a separate add on).
- AP software: needs a quick test drive I think to see if AP option lights up on the road. No way I can think of to test If it has FSD though
- UFHS: could check for audio from lift gate as I think standard system doesn’t have it, or just crank up bass to see if there’s a subwoofer
- subzero package: see if there are options to heat rear seat, or cold weather options in settings?
- high amperage charger: not sure either how to check

If you can find the exact build date, that might help. Around July 2017 things got bundled together Tesla updates Model S/X options ahead of Model 3 launch: lighting upgrades now standard, “Premium upgrade package” $5/6k

• Informative
It says page unavailable but it shows the car.
VIN 5YJXCDE26GF027707
VIN 5YJXCDE27HF025840

Unfortunately I don't have any info on either of those VINs. Sorry.

Assuming you have the used car's VIN, a site like VIN Decoder | TeslaTap will be able to tell you the options installed.

Sites like that that do Tesla VIN decoding do not provide the options on the car, not even the color. They do indicate the model, drive unit (single/dual) and restraint system, battery type/performance on some VINs, but that's about it.

If you really want the best access, please subscribe and set up a saved configuration (or several). As soon as any cars are listed (or price changes) that match your criteria, you'll get an email alert. Most new listings and price changes happen around 10pm PT.

However, if the car has other options, I have to have an idea what their original cost was so I can figure out what the cost of the car was before depreciation, tax credits, etc.
I'm surprised original cost matters in used car sale. Every time we've sold a house, buyers cared about comparable properties in the neighborhood. Not our purchase price or cost of renovations. In business, that's "sunk cost." It matters when you calculate profit.
Once you know the equipment, you can compare the cars you're considering to CPO and showroom/inventory cars on Tesla and ev-cpo sites. Remember to factor in Federal and State tax credits for Inventory and new cars.

I totally agree with @NickFie here. Trying to reverse engineer the options and costs to back into the original total cost of the car isn't going to help you much, and I believe it will give you a false sense of what a used car is worth. That is, you might end up paying more for a car because you think the value is greater based on options... when in reality, the actual options on Teslas are a very minor factor in the price. The major factors are model (i.e. Performance or not), overall condition, AP (at least EAP), year, remaining factory warranty, extended warranty, mileage. Everything else almost doesn't matter price wise. Even looking at EV-CPO data, you'll find highly optioned cars sold for less than cars with no options for really no discernable reason.

The options on a car are great for deciding between several different cars, like is Cold Weather important to you, or is Hi-Fi sound more important? Do you need the Premium Upgrade Package? That's where knowing the options really can help swing you towards one car over another. Likewise, people in cold climates might put a high value on the CWP, while others might want the towing package and others might need the 7 seat config.

Good luck!

• Informative
Hi Ualdriver,

One other option you might consider depending upon your location
would be the "D" dual motor option.
In the Midwest with usually nasty winters, I would not drive in the winter without the dual motor option...

Another option to evaluate is the number of seats...
Not so much for seating capacity, but again for climate - The 6 and 7 seat models have the
additional air conditioning equipment for more robust A/C performance...

Shawn

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Hi Ualdriver,

One other option you might consider depending upon your location
would be the "D" dual motor option.
In the Midwest with usually nasty winters, I would not drive in the winter without the dual motor option...

Another option to evaluate is the number of seats...
Not so much for seating capacity, but again for climate - The 6 and 7 seat models have the
additional air conditioning equipment for more robust A/C performance...

Shawn

Yeah, I'm in the midwest like you, so I'm definitely looking for all wheel drive. Most of the ones I have seen seem to fall into that category.