Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to keep heat from coming through the sunroof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Florida and just got my new Model 3. It’s winter and already the heat coming through the sunroof is oppressive. What is the best way to keep that cooler. Does the Tesla sun shade work?

I live in sunny California. I have used two effective options. First, yes, the Tesla roof shades do work. I bought both the rear window shade and the smaller one for directly above the driver. I have found the one for the driver alone to be sufficient. Second, I highly recommend that you get the windows tinted using a high-quality ceramic tint. I personally chose Xpel Prime XR Plus and it definitely keeps the cabin much cooler. The AC turns on less often to keep the cabin comfortable. And with ceramic tint, you don't necessarily have to go super dark to get heat rejection. I chose a very light 55% tint, as I want to keep the inside light and bright. Even with that light tint, the ceramic tint still rejects a lot of heat.

Upvote 0
Yup, same here, it gets super hot where I live, and "summer" is about April to November. I got the rear glass dark tinted with whatever their best heat rejecting film was, and also bought the Tesla sunshade for the top glass which I leave in 99% of the time. I love the sun, but I don't care if I see it while driving. The sun shade works very well and is very easy to install and remove

Upvote 0
I'm in Florida also. I installed one of the sunshades sold on Amazon that comes with a silver faced opaque fabric liner that goes between the shade and the glass. It blocks 100% of the light. I've only had it installed for two weeks but it seems very effective.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CMMP29M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I read a couple of reviews about this item were they say it doesn't fit right the 2021 Model 3, specially the smaller one over the front seat. Do you have a 2021 model 3?

Upvote 0
I have the Tesla sun shade and while it makes a big difference, it still allows some sun in. When the sun is really bright I still find it bothersome even with the sun shade installed. So I would either look to add some tinting or look for a sunshade that completely blocks the sun out.

Some aftermarket ones come with a reflective cover you can add to the shade to completely block out the light and heat. And they cost a lot less than Tesla's. Quality and fit is good too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you really don't want any freaking sun and/or heat coming into the car, you need this: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Sedan Windshield Sun Shades, Car Window Shades and Car Window Covers by HeatShield - The Original Windshield Sunshade . And no, the suction cups are absolutely invisible from above, even if you try to look for them.
You need the 'TOP WINDOW', which includes BOTH roof panels, so it's a relative bargain at $44. I ordered them since day 1, and will never come off. They're in the aircraft insulation business, and are the best sunshields by far. Not the cheapest, but they'll last the life of the car. I ordered the windshield, top window, and rear side windows. Should have ordered the front windows too, in case we ever use the car to travel in summer. Waiting for the car to charge in 100+ heat under the sun doesn't sound like fun, even with tinted windows (which I need to do). And no, I'm not affiliated in any way with them; just a satisfied customer. Hope this helps, gang.

Upvote 0
I live in Florida and just got my new Model 3. It’s winter and already the heat coming through the sunroof is oppressive. What is the best way to keep that cooler. Does the Tesla sun shade work?

You must sit with your head closer to the roof than me. I live in south FL and don't feel any heat coming through the roof of either our Model 3 or Model S.

Upvote 0
I'm also in FL and I don't feel any heat at all through the roof of my 2021. In fact, it's so dark that I really don't even realize the car has a glass roof: it doesn't feel "open" and even on a sunny day, you have to look pretty hard to see the sky/clouds through the super dark roof. Is this normal... or do you think maybe the delivery center put tint on it?

Mike

Upvote 0
I'm also in FL and I don't feel any heat at all through the roof of my 2021. In fact, it's so dark that I really don't even realize the car has a glass roof: it doesn't feel "open" and even on a sunny day, you have to look pretty hard to see the sky/clouds through the super dark roof. Is this normal... or do you think maybe the delivery center put tint on it?

Mike

Same for me, so it's normal.

Upvote 0
I have high quality 35% ceramic tint on all windows and sunroof, and air70 on the windshield. With that I havent found a need to also use a sun shade.
Great. Thank you. I think that will be my experience as we heat up for summer. I guess I’m just more sensitive to that sun on my head than some other people that replied. I had a Camry with a moon roof and I never opened it.

Upvote 0

Also second air70 on the windshield. If nothing else helps with glare and UV exposure on your skin. I have that and tint on the sides and am happy enough not to tint the roof/back.
Sunshade is prob best. Darker tint helps with Inferred Radiation but sunshade helps with IR and creates an air gap/thermal area to also keep your head cool. Otherwise I still feel the glass roof radiating its own heat onto my head even if the car is cooler inside.

Upvote 0