Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to keep heat from coming through the sunroof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second, I highly recommend that you get the windows tinted using a high-quality ceramic tint. I personally chose Xpel Prime XR Plus and it definitely keeps the cabin much cooler. The AC turns on less often to keep the cabin comfortable. And with ceramic tint, you don't necessarily have to go super dark to get heat rejection. I chose a very light 55% tint, as I want to keep the inside light and bright. Even with that light tint, the ceramic tint still rejects a lot of heat.
Agreed. Tint the car NOW. I can't own a vehicle without tint - especially in S. FL and Vegas.

Upvote 0
I live in Florida and just got my new Model 3. It’s winter and already the heat coming through the sunroof is oppressive. What is the best way to keep that cooler. Does the Tesla sun shade work?
I took delivery on a Model 3 a few days ago. Yesterday parked in the sun, the interior temperature went up to 108 degrees. It was in the low 60s outside. I had reservations about the glass roof when I looked at the car. What is the best solution to interior overheating? Thanks.

Upvote 0
What heats the cabin up in the sun is not the heavily tinted glass roof, but the massive windshield and side windows. You can test this by feeling the seats after the car has been parked in the sun for a few minutes. I’m in Phoenix, AZ right now. The sun is starting to get intense, and I’m impressed with how much the factory roof tint manages to block.

That said, what the roof absorbs with its heavy tint gets turned into heat. When you’re driving, the moving air over the roof helps cool it, but when parked, the roof glass gets almost too hot to touch. It then becomes a radiator, and if you’re like me without hair, you’ll feel the heat from the hot glass gently radiating onto your scalp.

So, I installed the Tesla roof sunscreens. They definitely help reduce that radiant effect of the hot glass, and they also diffuse what’s left of the pin-point glare of the sun above. There are aftermarket versions available on Amazon that include a silver blackout shade for even more heat rejection. No idea how well those fit/work compared to what I went with.

For the windshield, I’m using a custom-cut folding insulated reflective sun shade. It works very well, especially if leaving the climate control running while doing errands… keeps the sun blasting through the windshield from making the black seats sizzling hot.

I’m thinking between the roof sunscreens and window reflector, I should be able to battle the summer sun without having to tint (not a fan of aftermarket tints).

Upvote 0
I find the Tesla brand sun shade for the two folks up front insufficient. When I park my car in the parking lot at work here in Northern Virginia, I am losing 4-5% battery power during the day for cooling. I know some of that is for cooing the battery, but some is for cooling the cabin. I plan to put a personally cut piece of cardboard that's white on the out-facing side above the Tesla brand sun shade. That will block the sun for sure.

Upvote 0
I find the Tesla brand sun shade for the two folks up front insufficient. When I park my car in the parking lot at work here in Northern Virginia, I am losing 4-5% battery power during the day for cooling. I know some of that is for cooing the battery, but some is for cooling the cabin. I plan to put a personally cut piece of cardboard that's white on the out-facing side above the Tesla brand sun shade. That will block the sun for sure.

This is much better than cutting cardboard.

Upvote 0
I suspect the synthetic composition of the mesh fabric might already reflect some IR light, but I wonder if applying a light coat of silver spray paint to the sky-facing side would reject more radiant heat. I'm kind of surprised it isn't already coated like that, but then thinking about it, having it light colored on the sky-facing side may cause a distracting reflection and moiré effect through the holes.

I doubt the shade will significantly reduce cabin temperature when parked. The shade itself is going to heat up, and any IR it manages to emit back towards the glass is going to just heat up the glass. Cabin overheat protection with or without A/C combined with a quality windshield sunshade are probably the most effective (even better is to find shade parking).

I was interested to read about nano-tech such as SkyCool Systems. Wouldn't that be fantastic technology on our roofs!

Let us know how your cardboard insert comes out. Even better if you have an IR thermometer and do a half install and test the seat temperatures.

Upvote 0
So far, so good. Have not lost any appreciable % of battery since I installed the cardboard above the Tesla sun shade. It's in the parking lot again today with all day full sun, so today will be a good test. The Tesla sun shade by itself simply isn't sufficient.
Really? I live in Texas where the sun beats down ferociously and the Tesla Sun Shade does a fantastic job

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
I posted a thread on this last year, will see if I can find it so you can see what I got.

Here you go, this is for the model Y but I also have the same one for the model 3c this is a 2 layer method where the silver liner faces up and helps repel sun rays, the black side goes inside. This makes a big difference out in the Sun, San Diego or Las Vegas heat.

2021 Tesla Model 3 Accessories Glass Roof Sunshade Sunroof Rear Window Sunshade Compatible for Tesla Model 3 Sunshade 2021 with Skylight Reflective Covers Set of 4(4 of Set) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VB8RW...abc_19WARHJP8EYD04BG93HD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Will see if I can find my pictures:

Post in thread 'Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade'
Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

Model 3 shade pics

Fred

Attachments

• F27568F9-D58C-4337-ABC1-C22403C405E8.jpeg
    F27568F9-D58C-4337-ABC1-C22403C405E8.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sunshade works but only to certain degree. We have 4 Model 3 between our coworkers. 3 of us decided to test how good sunshades work. We got in all around the same time and park in the same area under the SoCal sun.

Coworker1 (me): no tint on roof, no sunshade
Coworker2: tint on roof, no sunshade
Coworker3: no tint anywhere, have sunshades (the silver reflective kind) on roof and windshield

Then every hour, we compare the cars' internal temperatures on our apps. Coworker3 stays the coolest, Coworker2 was second, and I got the hottest interior. But then when it get to 105/107 ish... the cabin overheat protection kicks in for everyone. So it really doesn't matter LOL.

Upvote 0
Really? I live in Texas where the sun beats down ferociously and the Tesla Sun Shade does a fantastic job
The Tesla sun shade made for the X is not complete sun block. It's like a net. Millions of little holes, so I can't block the sun completely. The cardboard blocks 100% of the sun coming through the roof, and it's saving me energy on my battery. And because of the tinting of the roof glass, you can't even see the cardboard from the outside of the car. From the inside, it just appears solid black, so it looks good inside too. I highly recommend putting custom cut cardboard in between the Tesla brand sun shade and the glass roof. It helps me save the loss of 2-3% battery per day on a sunny day.

Upvote 0
ressurection here.....

besides that FUGLY heatshield brand linked about, is there any shade out there that is insulated and doesnt look like crap?

never understood why glass that absorbs so much heat was used on these cars......its literally the one of one 2 things on these cars i despise design wise.

Upvote 0
ressurection here.....

besides that FUGLY heatshield brand linked about, is there any shade out there that is insulated and doesnt look like crap?

never understood why glass that absorbs so much heat was used on these cars......its literally the one of one 2 things on these cars i despise design wise.

all glass absorbs the same - the energy either goes through the glass and into the cabin or it heats up the glass (i.e. if its heavily IR/UV/visible light tinted) and then radiates into the cabin from there.

Heatshield has this reflective layer so thats probably the best bet. I mean... what do you want lookswise? It needs to either be silver or golden for insulation and/or reflection?

If it is a price question - aliexpress now sells unbranded heatshields....

I actually leave my heatshield in sometimes in summer for the roof - the white actually looks pretty good?

Upvote 0