Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

best way to keep overheat protection on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to park my M3 in the sun for days at a time. I'm dismayed to discover that the overheat protection only stays on for 12 hours. The car interior can reach absolutely ludicrous temperatures even with reflective sunshades in all the windows - And I don't even live in a particularly hot climate.
I don't mind the battery running down to 20% as I'll know the day before if I'm going to need more than that and I'll make sure it's charged overnight.

So what's the best way to keep the overheat protection on?
Do I really have to go and open the car door every morning? - That seems ridiculous.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
It is on according to the app.
Turning it off and on didn't do anything.
Then I remotely vented the windows, unlocked and locked it and turned the full climate on for a while, shortly after I got a notification about overheat protection being activated - so one of those actions re-enabled it but hard to tell which.

Reactions: Lindenwood
It is on according to the app.
Turning it off and on didn't do anything.
Then I remotely vented the windows, unlocked and locked it and turned the full climate on for a while, shortly after I got a notification about overheat protection being activated - so one of those actions re-enabled it but hard to tell which.
Did you wait 12 hours before trying to turn it back on using the app?

To not worry about the temperature in the car when you are not in it? Get a window sunshade, and put it in the window (like you likely did for every other car you have had) and dont worry about it.

These cars are not faberge' eggs. Every car gets super hot on the inside. The only difference between this car and others, is in THIS car you are told how hot it is via an app on your phone. This is why there are all those public service announcements about leaving pets / kids in cars "even for a little bit" to run into the store.

The inside of cars gets HOT (all cars), and the car will not melt because of it.

Unless you ran AC in your previous cars for days at a time (you likely didnt), dont worry about doing it in this one either.

I park my car outdoors, next to the house. It's in the sun from about 9AM until 7PM in the summertime. I've seen the inside temp go as high as 127 degrees. I've yet to use cabin overheat protection and am now going into my second summer with my 2020 M3. Instead, I just vent the windows about 20 minutes before getting in the car. That will lower the cabin temp to 85 to 90 degrees. Then, the AC takes care of the rest in a matter of minutes. I'm more concerned with conserving my car's battery, keeping my home electric bill lower, and using less fossil fuels than I am with a few minutes of heat inside the cabin. If I had solar panels to charge the car that would be a different story.

I have to park my M3 in the sun for days at a time. I'm dismayed to discover that the overheat protection only stays on for 12 hours. The car interior can reach absolutely ludicrous temperatures even with reflective sunshades in all the windows - And I don't even live in a particularly hot climate.
I don't mind the battery running down to 20% as I'll know the day before if I'm going to need more than that and I'll make sure it's charged overnight.

Do I really have to go and open the car door every morning? - That seems ridiculous.

These sun shades are great. I have the full set in gold/black.