Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to listen to audio books and/or podcasts in MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last car, a Cadillac CTS was an "Audible Ready" device, which quite surprised me when I discovered it. There was a process to transfer the Audible licence to the car via USB, but it was very cool to have it integrated into the car.

I've tried streaming podcasts via TuneIn in the car, but have gone back to my iPhone. The TuneIn interface is frustrating and often I will lose my place in a longer podcast if I pause it or lose connectivity. The only way to get Audible audiobooks in the car (for me) is also via my iPhone. The phone can manage all the DRM stuff and stream it via Bluetooth to the car.

I do wish Tesla would implement iPod controls into the 17" screen interface because it sure seems old school to have to pick up the phone (which is technically illegal where I live) to control my books and podcasts. Even the cheapest of cars these days have integrated iPod controls in their media systems.

So I'm probably pretty old school. I listen to some Podcasts on my iPad through iTunes and I listen to books on CD in my current car.

What is the best way on the MS to do one or both of these?

Transfer them to your computer and stitch the tracks together because Tesla STILL doesn't have gapless playback. :sigh: Then put them on USB stick.

I have to say that the Audiobook playback in the Model S is the most disappointing part of the whole experience so far. I know, I know, it's a car and it's brilliant but have chosen past cars based on this feature. My last two (Audi and Merc) did it seamlessly via USB/SD Card. They ALWAYS remembered the position, even if you switched to radio and back etc.
I listen to at least a book a week. I normally have one on the phone for when doing DIY or Gym etc. and one in the car for commuting but the lack of a decent playback function means I have to just stick to one on the phone and play that it the car. This means fiddling about with selecting the Audio source and launching the app on the phone and pressing play every time I get in the car, which is many times a day. This really needs to be sorted.
I'm also very surprised that there is no option to have the volume adjust with speed like in almost every other medium spec car. The MS may be quiet but the wind and road are not so it's a pain having to adjust the volume with speed manually (got to be an easy update).
I can't get the artwork to go correctly on to the car either, via phone or USB (I edit the MP3 rtags myself and make sure it's all there.
I have literally many hundreds of audiobooks on my PC at home so I'm not tied to audible etc. but I'm almost giving up and listening to music which says a lot for me.
Here's hoping.
PS I use the 'Akimbo' app with Android and have done for many years having tried them all.
Can

So I've been using podcast addict from the Google Play store and have been very happy.

If you haven't used this app before it has a zillion settings and the best one that I've found with Model S is "automatically play the next new episode".

So here's how it goes:

1. Download podcast addict
2. Pick podcasts and download them over wifi to your phone
3. Select the option of "automatically play the next new episode"
4. Pair the phone with bluetooth of course
5. Select Media on the 17" and select the phone to play media
6. Start the newest podcast playing
7. When I get out of the car, I'll pause it manually so I don't miss anything
8. When I get in the car it starts playing automatically

This seems perfect for me.

Did a reset five days ago (holding down both scroll wheels for a few seconds) and since then the system has remembered the exact place of the audiobook on my USB to the second. It doesn't start playing till I press play either, which is much better. Result!

Did a reset five days ago (holding down both scroll wheels for a few seconds) and since then the system has remembered the exact place of the audiobook on my USB to the second. It doesn't start playing till I press play either, which is much better. Result!

Interesting.

I'm very interested, (for my wife, who listens to lots of audio books on her daily commute of an hour each way) in TuneIn Premium. For now, apparently, it doesn't work in the Model S. I am hoping at some point a change that Tune-In makes will allow it to. (I'm not optimistic enough to hope for Tesla to be the one to make the change.) I write to TuneIn support every few weeks to ask about this. Below is the answer I received last night:

--
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your support and for trying out our premium service. As of this time, we do not have any time frames yet for premium content access for other platforms aside from iOS, Android and Web. We are actively working on it and would appreciate your patience.

Thank you so much for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Enrique
TuneIn

Has anyone gone the route of keeping a small hard drive in the car? We have the biggest ipod classic (no bluetooth) with all kinds of content and I don't think the memory sticks will hold anywhere near the amount of content we'd like to have available....

The largest iPod classic ever made was 160gb. I already use a 128GB USB drive that is smaller than a stack of three nickels. You can get a MUCH larger drive than that iPod could have ever stored in your car. People already report being able to use 2TB (2000gb) drives in their car without issue, and 1TB thumb drives already exist.