Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to precondition / Charge for retired people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading about preconditioning and it's usually for people who goes to work regularly or plan for long trips. I'm retired and I drive at different times of the day or don't drive at all, so what's the best way to precondition to maximize battery life? I live in Reno, NV and winter weather varies quite a bit from 30F to 60F during the day. Most of the time it's mid 30s to mid 40s but the purpose of creating this thread is maximizing battery life. Summer weather can be mid 90s to mid 100s.

So far, the charger is plugged in every night and remains plugged until I drive and plug in again at night. I plug in to charge once a day instead of multiple chargings per day.

Should I even bother preconditioning at all since my driving schedule is very erratic? Is always leaving the charger plugged in just as good as preconditioning?

Thanks,
Peter

In those temperatures (e.g. not cold enough) I would not even worry about preconditioning at all. Get in and drive. If you think about it, condition the cabin a few minutes before departure so you are comfortable. The battery will always be over freezing, there's nothing to worry about.
If you want to be overly cautious, you can limit your accelerations while the battery warms up but I believe that's unnecessary since the car already limits available power when the battery's cold.

EDIT: Your battery life will suffer more of the high temperatures, calendar aging, than from the cold. And you cannot "precondition" for that.

Preconditioning will improve your efficiency (Wh/Mi), your charging speed and pre-heat/cool your cabin before you start to drive. Won't do much (if anything) for battery life. It's not really required and can be a negative if your doing short drives. The power used to precondition the battery could be more than the battery used to just make the drive.

Reactions: android04
I typically schedule a pre-conditioning whenever I know I'll be leaving at a certain time. The main benefit is having a warm interior. I just wish I could select it for a one-time even rather than picking either weekdays or weekends, as I sometimes forget to turn it off after my one-time event so it comes on again the next day. No big deal, and I think I will just turn on cabin heat a few minutes before getting in the car. The first few miles of any drive is mostly downhill or level on rural roads so car isn't working too hard.

I've been reading about preconditioning and it's usually for people who goes to work regularly or plan for long trips. I'm retired and I drive at different times of the day or don't drive at all, so what's the best way to precondition to maximize battery life? I live in Reno, NV and winter weather varies quite a bit from 30F to 60F during the day. Most of the time it's mid 30s to mid 40s but the purpose of creating this thread is maximizing battery life. Summer weather can be mid 90s to mid 100s.

So far, the charger is plugged in every night and remains plugged until I drive and plug in again at night. I plug in to charge once a day instead of multiple chargings per day.

Should I even bother preconditioning at all since my driving schedule is very erratic? Is always leaving the charger plugged in just as good as preconditioning?

Thanks,
Peter
Not sure preconditioning has much to do with maximizing battery life. I live in Maine, I'm retired, and I rarely precondition, and my car sits outdoors. My battery is still in its top buffer, and though it showed a couple miles down from its EPA rating a couple weeks ago, it seems to have rebounded, and I'm now back to EPA rating after 4+yrs and 45k miles.
IMG_6832.jpeg

I was only referring to preconditioning the batteries, not necessarily warming up the cabin area. It doesn't take long to warm up the cabin area after entering inside the car.

Peter
The battery is not heated when preconditioning if the cell temp is high enough. I have my car parked in a 10C ( 50F) garage and there is no battery heating for a planned departure.
The two winters before, when I used planned departure with battery preconditioning the battery was only heated to about 6.5C (44F).
This winter I havent checked if the software has changed the preconditioning target, as I changed job I do not have these daily trips.

If you charge shortly before the departure the battery will be hetated from the charge, in general to a higher level than with preconditioning.
I get temps around 22-28C (70-80F) from charging with the Wall Connector at 11kW. This is really good for the consumption/range when driving in cold if the car has the heat pump/octovalve as the battery heat is used to heat the cabin (instead of battery electric energy).

For the battery life, cell temp during cycling is not very important. The car will actively heat the battery quite quickly if needed during the drive to reach safe levels.

This chart is from a research report testing Panasonic NCA cells (18650).

We can see that when cycling at low SOC (45-20% cycles) there is not a very big difference in the cyclic aging.
The same for medium SOC ( 68-43%).
For high SOC range there is a difference but it is not big.

In context, if you charge as most people do you probably will have a cyclic aging of somewhere around 1% annually but the calendar aging might be (at least) 5-6% the first year, 2.5% the second year, 2% the third year and 1.5% the forth year. It probably takes some 8-12 years to have such low calendar aging that the cyclic aging is equal to the calendar aging.

So. Cyclic aging will be small anyway. Calandar aging will be much higher.
461E53E1-AD98-4CF6-BA36-81120F693AF0.jpeg

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...erative-Braking.pdf?origin=publication_detail

so what's the best way to precondition to maximize battery life?
—> Charge shortly before the drive, that will heat the battery. But The cyclic aging, that already is very low will only reduce by little.

If you really like to do something that reduce the degradation you should start charging to a lower SOC and using cycles that is lower in SOC.
As seen in the graph above, cyclic aging is much lower at low SOC.
Also, calendar aging is much lower so the end result might be cutting the total degradation in half.
You can search the TMC forum for my nick + calendar aging, I have written some posts about this.
I use that approach.

Since my car was new as I know Supercharging is not as bad as most people think I do this when needed without worrying (some 45 supercharges or about 17% of the total charged energy). I also have done more full charges than many other as I know it does not kill the battery (Abouts 25-30 full charges so far).
After slightly more than two years I have about 493-497km range of 507 km new range, and a battery capacity of about 78.5-79kWh when most other with the same model ( M3P 2021) have 470km or so, despite the miles driven.

Is always leaving the charger plugged in just as good as preconditioning?

Leaving the car plugged in does not really do anything ”magic”.

The car use energy it need from the WC/charger instead of the battery. Thats it. It will not heat the battery unless you plan a departure or start the cabin heating.

I had my car outside yesterday, due to other activities in the garage.
It was about -7C outside.

After the car was parked outside for about 4 hours I did set the planned departure 30 minutes ahead.
When I got to the car after 30 minutes, the battery was only 5.5C ( 42F), cell temp mid in the picture).
At normal preconditioning for supercharging the cell temp increases about 1C / minute. There was 30 minutes available so the car should have had the time needed to precondition the battery.
I think there was no battery heating going on, despite a planned departure with ”preheat the battery selected”.

I normally have all data logged but yesterday somehow there was no data and I did have to restart the raspberry pie that do this. So no logged temperature data that time.
A15E43E1-874C-473B-945E-DA462E3D7469.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
So in layman's term, definition of preconditioning is basically heating the cabin area to warm up the battery pack underneath? I didn't think heating the cabin area was enough to warm up the battery quickly enough because I would expect good enough insulation between battery pack and cabin area. Note, I'm pretty sure my very early 2020 SR+ (bought in December 2019) doesn’t have heat pump.

I have no driving schedule so I cannot predict the next time I need to drive and cannot always easily precondition the battery 30 minutes ahead of time.

But the weather where I live isn't that cold all the time in the winter so I should be fine. Like others said, just drive it and enjoy it.

Peter

Last edited:
The car use energy it need from the WC/charger instead of the battery. Thats it. It will not heat the battery unless you plan a departure or start the cabin heating.
The above statement seems to suggest that cabin heating will heat the battery. My understanding from your earlier post was that the battery won't be heated (either when scheduling Precondition or just turning on Climate) unless the battery temperature is very low (below 44F?), or unless you time the charging to be completed immediately before the planned departure time, in which case the charging process will have heated the battery. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Rocky_H
So in layman's term, definition of preconditioning is basically heating the cabin area to warm up the battery pack underneath? I didn't think heating the cabin area was enough to warm up the battery quickly enough because I would expect good enough insulation between battery pack and cabin area. Note, I'm pretty sure my very early 2020 SR+ (bought in December 2019) doesn’t have heat pump.

I have no driving schedule so I cannot predict the next time I need to drive and cannot always easily precondition the battery 30 minutes ahead of time.

But the weather where I live isn't that cold all the time in the winter so I should be fine. Like others said, just drive it and enjoy it.

Peter
No, the battery isn't warmed from heating up the cabin. However, the only way to precondition the battery at will (from the app or by schedule) is to turn on the cabin HVAC and the car will warm the battery pack up through a separate mechanism at the same time if it is very cold. So unless you need the cabin to be heated, you are just wasting energy by preconditioning your battery pack and it is not needed for battery longevity. Just forget about battery preconditioning and enjoy your car when you need it.

The above statement seems to suggest that cabin heating will heat the battery.
Nope.

The original question I answered was:
Is always leaving the charger plugged in just as good as preconditioning?
And as I have seen more posts (wrongly) suggesting that the car heats the battery anytime connected I tried to be clear with that the battery is not heated if the car is not used, preheating is on or a planned departure is set.

So in layman's term, definition of preconditioning is basically heating the cabin area to warm up the battery pack underneath?
No. Preconitioning is = heating (or cooling) the cabin to the set temperature. And heat the battery if needed.

In Swedish,
Förkonditionera = Precondition

Next row means: Set the climate and preaheat battery.

823FCB4D-AF08-4192-AE14-412D40A16567.jpeg

I'm pretty sure my very early 2020 SR+ (bought in December 2019) doesn’t have heat pump.
It does not, and then most of the idea of planning to heat the battery will not change anything noticably for you.
Tesla will heat the battery automatically, at latest when you start to drive and even if you just start the AC/heater to precondition on the ”fan button” in the app shortly before the drive.
The battery does not cool very fast but it will heat up quite quickly so 30 minutes will be good enough at more or less *any* time.
But the weather where I live isn't that cold all the time in the winter so I should be fine.
Yep.