Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to reattach chrome trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
The chrome trim at the rear quarter panel on my car keeps coming loose behind the rear passenger door window and I'm not sure what the best way to reattach it is - any suggestions please?

I have tried using double sided tape which seems to hold for a few days but then gets loose again. I'm reluctant to use superglue or similar in case it might react badly with the trim. It looks like some kind of black silicon type adhesive was used originally.

My car is a 2015 MS and is out of warranty. I had the SC look at this when they were doing another job recently (airbag recall and a door handle) and their suggestion was to to simply remove and replace with a new piece of 'brightwork' for £637 for parts plus £150 labour. Er, no thanks.

Are you using a tape meant for moulding? Is there enough panel for the tape to adhere to? I'd be surprised if moulding tape was pulling off a properly prepped surface. Once applied it is strong enough to potentially pull the paint off of the panel. I think the quarter glass trim is held in with an adhesive. Do you happen to have pictures of what you are dealing with?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03615-Sco...1?keywords=3m+body+tape&qid=1583469849&sr=8-1

Thanks for the suggestion and link - that type of tape looks ideal so I'll try it out.

I'm not sure what the tape I used was for originally - only used as a temporary measure as I had hoped Tesla would have have sorted it out for me. No such luck.

The trim is loose from the lowest point (the end) through to about the back of the corner, or just a little way beyond. It does feel like it will easily come away if I give it a tug but I haven't done so just yet. There appears to be a fairly thick layer of black mastic or silicon of some sort behind it which I suspect would pull away. At this point I have left it and just tried the double sided tape with limited success.

Attachments

• 27D63DD7-967D-4150-99D2-CDF9D115BDE9.jpeg
    27D63DD7-967D-4150-99D2-CDF9D115BDE9.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 1,017
Thanks for the suggestion and link - that type of tape looks ideal so I'll try it out.

I'm not sure what the tape I used was for originally - only used as a temporary measure as I had hoped Tesla would have have sorted it out for me. No such luck.

The trim is loose from the lowest point (the end) through to about the back of the corner, or just a little way beyond. It does feel like it will easily come away if I give it a tug but I haven't done so just yet. There appears to be a fairly thick layer of black mastic or silicon of some sort behind it which I suspect would pull away. At this point I have left it and just tried the double sided tape with limited success.

That definitely is an adhesive and not tape. The tape may work, but you'd have to clean all of that up first. Don't use super glue, it won't help. I would try Tesla and see what they say, or see if you can get a body shop to re-adhere it. Nothing looks damaged, I wouldn't think it would cost too much to get it reattached if they don't volunteer to cover it.

That definitely is an adhesive and not tape. The tape may work, but you'd have to clean all of that up first. Don't use super glue, it won't help. I would try Tesla and see what they say, or see if you can get a body shop to re-adhere it. Nothing looks damaged, I wouldn't think it would cost too much to get it reattached if they don't volunteer to cover it.

Thanks for that - Tesla have already seen it and offered only to replace the whole strip at £637 for the brightwork and £150 labour - plus 20% vat too, of course.

There is a bodyshop nearby who's done some work on a previous car for me, so I'll take it there.

what you need is something like 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive
Correct, windshield urethane is what's used at the factory. Try to clean the molding surface along with quarter window bonding surface as well as you can & use urethane. Dow is the better stuff if you can get your hands on it. And remember to use something to put pressure on it while the urethane is curing. You can also use adhesion promoter on the surfaces to get the urethane to adhere better also.
Good luck.

Thanks for that - Tesla have already seen it and offered only to replace the whole strip at £637 for the brightwork and £150 labour - plus 20% vat too, of course.

There is a bodyshop nearby who's done some work on a previous car for me, so I'll take it there.
Hi, have you solved it? I have the exact same problems with 3 years old MS, but on both rear windows. The SC is trying to charge me ~$2,600 for fixing it. I think I will try to do it myself. Just wondering if it has worked out for you. Thanks.