Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to record myself and others when driving Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI all!

I will be taking delivery of my Model 3 in a couple of days and since it will be a watershed moment for me (as it will be the first non-used car I will be buying) I wanted to record my genuine reaction and stream of consciousness the first time I drive it off the lot.

I dont believe the Model 3 has a camera facing inside the cabin of the car, and I do not have a GoPro, so Im thinking the only option I have of recording myself is to get a windshield mount to hold my iphone, and record myself that way.

Am I correct in thinking that?

Cheers!

I dont believe the Model 3 has a camera facing inside the cabin of the car.....
Page 22

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 5.53.15 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
HI all!

I will be taking delivery of my Model 3 in a couple of days and since it will be a watershed moment for me (as it will be the first non-used car I will be buying) I wanted to record my genuine reaction and stream of consciousness the first time I drive it off the lot.

I dont believe the Model 3 has a camera facing inside the cabin of the car, and I do not have a GoPro, so Im thinking the only option I have of recording myself is to get a windshield mount to hold my iphone, and record myself that way.

Am I correct in thinking that?

Cheers!
Yep, that'll probably be the easiest way, unless you have an old dash cam from another car that uses USB or cigarette lighter.

Oh cool! I didnt know they had a cabin camera.

However upon searching Youtube I wasnt able to find a video showing a guide on how to set it up, or even a video of someone using it to record the inside of their model 3.

There were a couple of videos of using it as a dashcam, but it seems like the video quality is rather grainy, and Im not even sure it would record sound as well (since a lot of my reactions and friends' reaction will be gasping and cursing lol).

Perhaps it looks like Ill have to stick with placing my iphone on the windshield and recording the cabin that way?

Oh cool! I didnt know they had a cabin camera.

However upon searching Youtube I wasnt able to find a video showing a guide on how to set it up, or even a video of someone using it to record the inside of their model 3.....
Before searching YouTube you should READ the manual or JUST read the picture of the manual I posted. HINT 2ed sentence.

If you believe your Model 3 Cabin Camera is not currently active, then you probably also believe your smartphone conversations are not being recorded either, and all this mass data collection is being recorded to keep you safe.... Yikes!

The windshield mount for your phone is probably the easiest solution, assuming you don’t live in a state where mounting things to the windshield is illegal.

(If you do, there are a number of ways to mount things to the dashboard instead, only mildly more annoying and expensive.)