Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to remove scuff from fender?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

My wife scuffed the fender on our X. What would be the best way to remove this scuff? There should be a picture attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190428_180249.jpg
    20190428_180249.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 125
pick up some automotive clay, any detail spray and then mist the scuff and rub the clay on it. you can find plenty of options on amazon. if you want to watch some good how to videos look at adamspolishes.com or on youtube. its really easy to do, and you won't do any damage to your car, only help it.

Reactions: mswlogo
Don't think clay will be the magic.
Try a dual action random orbital device and buff away like crazy
The easiest solution is to take to a detailer and spend a few hundred

he should try clay first, always try the least aggressive method first. its a brown / black scuff, still appears to be on top of the clear coat. guessing if he had a DA polisher he wouldn't be asking for help here

I do have a random orbital waxer that I use on my RV to wax it only. But I've never used it to repair damage, so would need specific advice on how to do that, what type of pad to buy for it, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-0724...d=1556509164&s=gateway&sr=8-6&th=1&pldnSite=1

So if I wanted to try clay first, I'd try something like the link above? Looks like you use the detailer spray like a lubricant, and then knead the clay and rub it over the scuffed area to remove the scuffs?

I’ve tried to fix scuffs like that with rubbing compound and wax and they look great until the wax weathers a bit and it looks all dull and worse than when I started.

I have a dual orbital that I use on my fiberglass boat and that comes out great.

But I never know quite what to use on paint scuffs like OP.

Besides getting a professional, here is the process I recommend
1) Use 50/50 mix of IPA + water to wipe down the area with a microfiber to see if you can remove as much paint transfer/dirt as possible
2) Use clay + clay lubricant to clay as much residue as possible, with clay speed is more important than downwards pressure
if still noticeable:
3) Use a clean microfiber and a product like Meguiar's ultimate compound to hand buff those areas remembering to tape off gray plastic trim
4) If gone, follow up process with a finer polish like Meg's ultimate polish and hand buff with a microfiber
5) highly recommend following up with a wax or sealant

If the surface is rough after those steps, you may need to machine polish or wet sand (or event repaint).

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
Besides getting a professional, here is the process I recommend
1) Use 50/50 mix of IPA + water to wipe down the area with a microfiber to see if you can remove as much paint transfer/dirt as possible
2) Use clay + clay lubricant to clay as much residue as possible, with clay speed is more important than downwards pressure
if still noticeable:
3) Use a clean microfiber and a product like Meguiar's ultimate compound to hand buff those areas remembering to tape off gray plastic trim
4) If gone, follow up process with a finer polish like Meg's ultimate polish and hand buff with a microfiber
5) highly recommend following up with a wax or sealant

If the surface is rough after those steps, you may need to machine polish or wet sand (or event repaint).

Good luck!

Thanks very much ice. Will follow your steps