Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to remove Tow hitch from MY existing order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I placed an order for a MYLR with TOW about 3-4 weeks ago. I just found out that it has a 160lb tongue weight limit which isn't strong enough for my rack and bikes. When i originally googled the tongue weight, it said 350lbs but apparently that's false. My SA is terrible and hasn't emailed me ever since the test drive. What's the recommendation here to change my order? Do you think my wait for a car is going to have to reset (still no vin)?

How heavy are your rack and bikes?

The tongue weight for towing is higher. I have a Yakima tilt four, 2 cruisers, a comfort, and a kid bike. I'll be pushing the limit, but am not worried. There is some buffer, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Vertical weight is 160lbs
Towing weight is 350lbs on the tongue

What type, and how many bikes are you carrying? 160lbs (including the rack) should be sufficient for any 2-bike combo I can think of. Unless you’re planning on hauling motorcycles.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just end up keeping the tow. The price has already increased 1000 since I've ordered it.

I'm not 100% clear on the vertical weight vs towing tongue weight.

This is the bike rack i have: https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HR1400Z.html
The rack in a 4 Bike configuration is 91 lbs

I have 4 bikes, approximately 25+25+30+30+ = ~110lbs total.

Total would be about ~200 lbs which makes me nervous based on the Tesla's 160lbs number.

Right now, I'm considering swapping out the current rack for a platform style that's lighter.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just end up keeping the tow. The price has already increased 1000 since I've ordered it.

I'm not 100% clear on the vertical weight vs towing tongue weight.

This is the bike rack i have: https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HR1400Z.html
The rack in a 4 Bike configuration is 91 lbs

I have 4 bikes, approximately 25+25+30+30+ = ~110lbs total.

Total would be about ~200 lbs which makes me nervous based on the Tesla's 160lbs number.

Right now, I'm considering swapping out the current rack for a platform style that's lighter.
Vertical weight is supported only by the tow receiver, and the bike rack acts as a lever arm amplifying the weight. Think of it this way, if you grab the top of your bike rack and pull backwards away from the car you are adding zero weight to the tow receiver, but you are adding a lot of stress to it. With a trailer the weight is supported between your tow receiver and the wheels of the trailer. There is no "lever action" adding stress to the receiver when you are towing a trailer. If the 200 lb weight makes you nervous vs the 160 lb rating you can add support straps that go from the top of the bike rack to the top of the car... not sure how they attach since I have never had to use them myself.

Keith

Vertical weight is supported only by the tow receiver, and the bike rack acts as a lever arm amplifying the weight. Think of it this way, if you grab the top of your bike rack and pull backwards away from the car you are adding zero weight to the tow receiver, but you are adding a lot of stress to it. With a trailer the weight is supported between your tow receiver and the wheels of the trailer. There is no "lever action" adding stress to the receiver when you are towing a trailer. If the 200 lb weight makes you nervous vs the 160 lb rating you can add support straps that go from the top of the bike rack to the top of the car... not sure how they attach since I have never had to use them myself.

Keith
Plus every time you hit a bump it magnifies the lever. Must remember to avoid all bumps.

Keith
Thanks for the explanation.
I think we're planning to limit the model Y to 2 bikes and if we need 4, we'll use my wife's RX. Her hitch says it can go up to 500 tongue weight.