Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to schedule home charging with the TMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to effectively schedule a start and stop time using the TMC? We have time of use rates here in SoCal and I don't want it charging between 4:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

This was easily accomplished on the charge point wall unit and I can still use that but I don't want to use the adapter every night.

Tesla's charging scheduler seems counter-intuitive and I mostly work from home so I'm not leaving the house at the same time every day.

Also our cheapest rate goes from 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. the next day and since we have solar I'd like to charge when the Sun is up.

Thanks,

Is there a way to effectively schedule a start and stop time using the TMC? We have time of use rates here in SoCal and I don't want it charging between 4:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

This was easily accomplished on the charge point wall unit and I can still use that but I don't want to use the adapter every night.

Tesla's charging scheduler seems counter-intuitive and I mostly work from home so I'm not leaving the house at the same time every day.

Also our cheapest rate goes from 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. the next day and since we have solar I'd like to charge when the Sun is up.

Thanks,

On Teslas, you can either set the time to start charging ("scheduled charging", been this way since the beginning) or the the time to end charging ("departure", which was added a few years ago). Seems to me you might want to just have the car start charging at some point after 9PM. You didn't say what kind of charging circuit you have or how much you drive in a day routinely, but by time you get to 4PM the next day, that's 17 hours of charging...would the be good enough for you?

Bruce.

Reactions: Falcon73
Thanks, Bruce. I set it for 9pm yesterday and it worked. I drive about 80 miles per day when I take my wife to work.

My next question is if I need to override this somehow when public charging? Or will it wait to 9pm regardless of location? Only at home do I want 9pm and later?

Best,

Reactions: bmah