Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to sell my 2018 P100D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like I'll be moving to a new city and into a Condo where I won't have the ability to home charge. To make it worse, my commute will be about 75 minutes each way daily. So, I'll need to charge every other day or so. There are no supercharging stations nearby.

IF I decide to sell my Model S, how best to do that without getting slaughtered? I've only owned this car for about 8 months now, have 7000 miles on it, I've been to a couple of ICE dealers (MB, BMW, etc.) and they've shown no interest in the Tesla as a trade without me taking a 40%+ beating on an 8 month old car.

Thoughts?

It looks like I'll be moving to a new city and into a Condo where I won't have the ability to home charge. To make it worse, my commute will be about 75 minutes each way daily. So, I'll need to charge every other day or so. There are no supercharging stations nearby.

IF I decide to sell my Model S, how best to do that without getting slaughtered? I've only owned this car for about 8 months now, have 7000 miles on it, I've been to a couple of ICE dealers (MB, BMW, etc.) and they've shown no interest in the Tesla as a trade without me taking a 40%+ beating on an 8 month old car.

Thoughts?
You haven't moved yet, so check with the new place if they are willing to accommodate an EV, if not, restart your search, this time looking for EV friendly places. EVs are gaining momentum in the market, so not a bad idea especially if you are buying (better resale value). Your car has depreciated the lion share of the first 2 years depreciation, so unless you find a really motivated private party buyer, no way around it. P100D costs Tesla probably about $80K to build brand new, so they aren't likely to be keen on paying you even that amount, unless you are buying a new Tesla (in which case they still make money on the transaction even if they give you above market value on your trade-in).

Contact work - perhaps company or other employees want to get charger or outlets for EVs.
might consider negotiation with company, you'll kickin a couple hundred toward plug - get company on Tesla list for some destination chargers at your workplace. Would company be interested in potential PR angle.

good luck

Lots of good suggestions here. You’re gonna get massively hosed on the car, and if you’re not cool with that you should probably start entertaining other housing or charging options.

Besides, as someone who commutes an hour each way, what better possible car than a model S to spend that much time in?

Reactions: whitex
We often think of "losing" the money at the time of sale but actually the market value of the car is already settled, we have already lost that money. Hard to accept, for sure.
It's a bit more complex than that. If you buy a house at $100K, then it goes up to $200K but you are not selling, did you gain any money? Your property taxes just doubled, so are you actually losing money then? Or, how about stocks, you buy it for $10, it goes up to $30 but down to $5 by the time you sell it, so should you say you made $20 and then lost $25? If yes, than anyone who owns any stocks or funds makes or loses money every second while the markets are open. So, instead some choose to realize the loses when the sell whatever it is they acquired. It all comes down to how you want do your accounting. :)

Thoughts?

You've been given great advice! The best option is to not sell the car and figure out a charging solution.

If you must sell, you will likely lose about 25-20% of what you paid for the car. If you do decide to sell, you should sell sooner rather than later as you are still in that period of time where your car is depreciating over $2,000/month.

If I were in OP's shoes, I would propose to install four charging stations and electrical work for free to the Condo HOA (or the owner), at my expense and promise to give the facility to the Condo for free. That would save depreciation and make Condo HOA happy, while allowing wider EV adoption.
Great idea, offer 4 Tesla HPWC chargers so they can attract Tesla owners to the condo. Have them share circuits if needed (2x100A or even 1x100A).

Reactions: hiroshiy
Great idea, offer 4 Tesla HPWC chargers so they can attract Tesla owners to the condo. Have them share circuits if needed (2x100A or even 1x100A).
If your condo installs chargers, consider installing them at less-desirable parking spots to reduce ICEing and resentment.

Could even use ChargePoint or GreenLots to cover electricity cost. Would further reduce ICE resentment.

Reactions: hiroshiy