Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to sell my old car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
Not sure where to put this, so Off Topic it is.

I literally have not sold a used car since before the internet. Well, not a useful internet as it was 1993. Googling "selling a used car" gives me an overload of options: craig's list, ebay motors, all sorts of ways to get a quote online to sell to a broker (prices don't look good for that though).

So, I'm looking for recommendations. Is Craigslist the way to go in any urban area (I'm in Portland, OR)? Ebay motors looks decent, but then it looks like I might need to deal with shipping it to somewhere. I used Autotrader back in '93 and they have an online presence, but no idea what their audience share is these days.

Thoughts?

I've always posted my cars on both Craigslist and AutoTrader. In my experience, all of my sales have come from Craigslist and all of my spammy used car dealer calls came from Autotrader. I say start with CL and se where that gets you, I've had success with it. Obviously, beware of scammers.

I sold my old car to my next door neighbor! TODAY! and getting my S tomorrow!! :love:
He had his eyes on it since the day I bought it - 2008 Rav4X4 limited V6 (48k miles)
I got it smogged today for sale (only time you need it here) and gave the tech a Tesla S brochure. Told him that was replacing the car he smogged and he said 'Enjoy your Tesla!"
I said hell ya and smiled as I walked away. No more smog for me!

I was pretty lucky selling mine :smile: