Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to use mini split heating heat pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pictures attached showing the unit open with connector used circled, and innards of prototype #2. Looking for a small white enclosure (box) for mounting on the side or under the unit. The parts are also small enough they could just go inside the unit but I want access without having to open the unit back up.

I use these boxes for small projects like yours.

https://anchor-electronics.com/product/lmb-heeger-p101-plastic-enclosure/

Manufacturer's web site has a lot of sizes and colors to choose from.

LMB Heeger Inc.

• Informative
Reactions: solarAddict
Thanks for the tip @power.saver. It's interesting how difficult to find white enclosures have been, at least for the size I want.

The LMB color grey is actually white. They make grey (white), almond and black.

Here is a picture of a P-101 in grey mounted on a white wall. It's an AQI monitor. The cutout on the right is for a mini-USB port.

P-101 box in grey.png

Keep us informed on your testing status. What have you developed and how does it work. So far my mini split heads seem to work great and keep the house at the temp I set at.

First two prototypes are done (3 to go). I gave up on finding a case I liked and built them out of Lego instead. Contained within is a Raspberry Pi 0w that serves to interface with the Mitsubishi heatpump and provides a web-based JSON API for polling and controlling much like the TEG.

As there are multiple heads, a separate web server allows control over all units. The server also monitors powerwalls and grid status. If the grid goes down for longer than 10 minutes in winter, the heatpumps are automatically turned off.

The clear brick is so you can see the green status light on the Pi. A red LED was also added and it comes on when the grid is out; if Internet is down along with the grid, there is no notification from the Tesla app or the server via email/SMS, so just looking over at the minisplit will let me know.

The two active units also have a button that turns the Pi on or off; this can be done through the web but I wanted something on the device itself as well. Another feature that was prototyped but not added to these two is a small OLED (display) that comes on for a few minutes with a motion sensor to show current settings, grid status, and weather; however, I'll probably implement a touchscreen at some point instead allowing for more displayed data and interactive control.

below.jpg side.jpg web.jpg

I have Sensibo on my four head Mitsubishi mini split. It works as well as standing there with a remote, however there’s a few things I wish it did better.

1) Know the limitations of the system - the system can’t have some heads in cool and some in warm but Sensibo can command/ask for this without letting you know it won’t actually worm, in auto you don’t control the fan speed but you can select one in the app, there’s an econ cool which Sensibo doesn’t know/use, etc.

2) Make an econo heat mode, which would allow a gradual heating of a room over a longer time (say three hours). We have a downstairs area that doesn’t really need heat for 12 hours of the day, I don’t really want to kick on the heat at high power and low efficiency if the room has a few hours with nobody in it to gradually come up to temp.

Last edited: