Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to wipe bug guts off windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the Rain X window cleaner on all the exterior glass and bugs come right off. We have a LOT of bugs here and I haven't had a problem yet. I use the spray bottle, not the washer fluid.

We also get a lot of rain and I rarely have to use the wipers. I just wish there was a setting for the autopilot that the car has Rain X on it so it wouldn't keep turning them on. :D

pressure hose. or bug remover.

Also helps to apply rain X to the windshield.
Id stay away from sealant apart from afew bonded sealants (jetseal). Wipers will take sealant right off.
I thought the owners manual said to avoid rain X?

““Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.”

I thought the owners manual said to avoid rain X?

““Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.”
I saw that too and it was also in the manual for my Bolt. I used the fluid in the Bolt and never had an issue.

In the Tesla I haven't run out of the factory fluid yet, so I've been using the Rain X spray on cleaner and cleaning the windshield with it each week or so (driving near the ocean all the time leaves a residue). I haven't had an issue with streaking, smearing or squeaking, but I also rarely run the wipers. When I do, I haven't noticed any issues.

My windshield is polished and sealed with a rainx like product (Griots) but I never had trouble getting bugs off glass before I started doing that.

If I did have trouble I’d probably use a razor blade.

I use bug remover on the body.

Is Meguiars waterless wash and wax okay to use? Or do I need to buy something special? I also have windex.

Never taken good care of a car before so want to make sure I’m not damaging anything.

New owner - 1 week
I use the green optimum wash and wax but I've tried a few from other brands and they're all pretty similar. Bug guts usually come off the windshield easily but getting them off my front bumper requires some elbow grease or a claybar.

Can you wax your car even if PPF is installed?
Of course. People even ceramic coat on top of PPF to keep it clean for longer. PPF only protects the paint, wax/ceramic keeps it looking clean.