Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best wheel for handling on M3 2021 LR (18 vs 19" vs 19" aftermarket)

which wheels to get?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.

I have a M3 2021 LR with the 18" Aeros on order which will probably get delivered in the next 2-3 weeks (bay area) and debating to switch to the 19" sport wheels. I normally would've ordered the 19" ones but the new design just seems kinda ugly, so I went with the 18".

I previously owned a BMW 4-series with M-Sport package and really care about the handling of the car (like cornering, grip etc.) and generally drive "spirited" but not crazy.

I'm still debating between the following options:
1. Stay with the 18" Aeros and hope the handling isn't too bad
2. Update order to 19" ones ($1500) and live with the so-so design, but get better handling out of the box
3. Stay with the 18"-ones, sell them immediately and buy aftermarket 19" wheels + tires from tsportline (probably these ones) Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TST Tesla Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories - (~$3000)

Has anyone debated this as well and has an opinion on this?
Also has anyone experience how the 19" tesla OEM wheels handle compared to 19" tsportline wheels?

If you care about cornering/grip, the tires are 100x more important.

Save the $1500 and spend those toward a good tire/wheel package.
Tsportlines are pretty overpriced, IMO. If you're paying for new wheels, I'd go wider. Somewhere in the 9-9.5 range, so that you can fit a wider tire for more grip.

Or just put some Michelin PS4S on OEM 18" and call it good.

Yeah, no.

Tsportlines are overpriced, and are heavy.

If you have more money to spend then aftermarket wheels, but if you want to stay fairly reasonable. PS4S tires + sway bars and it will feel like a different car. Coilovers are another story.

I've had all the Tesla wheels tires three sets of aftermarket wheels. I've had the LR RWD and the P3D. I prefer the aero's for efficiency. You can still get the best 0-60 on just the aeros. I would stick with the aeros for sure. You can still drive it pretty aggressively. RE: sway bars, it's better to have more independent suspension. The OEM sway bars are pretty good. I have full aftermarket Tesla suspension, but I regret swapping out the OEM sway bars.

Hi folks.

I have a M3 2021 LR with the 18" Aeros on order which will probably get delivered in the next 2-3 weeks (bay area) and debating to switch to the 19" sport wheels. I normally would've ordered the 19" ones but the new design just seems kinda ugly, so I went with the 18".

I previously owned a BMW 4-series with M-Sport package and really care about the handling of the car (like cornering, grip etc.) and generally drive "spirited" but not crazy.

2. Update order to 19" ones ($1500) and live with the so-so design, but get better handling out of the box
3. Stay with the 18"-ones, sell them immediately and buy aftermarket 19" wheels + tires from tsportline (probably these ones) Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TST Tesla Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories - (~$3000)

Also has anyone experience how the 19" tesla OEM wheels handle compared to 19" tsportline wheels?

Can I suggest none of the above? If you care about handling you want the best possible tire for the car. I'm assuming you're not going to track the car and if that's true then the best tire for the car is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. You can get those in either 19 or 18 inch sizes although in the 18 I think you have to get a 245/ 45 if I'm remembering that correctly. Second suggestion is get a lightweight forged wheel not a cast one. The weight you save will pay dividends for the rest of the time you're driving the car. Quicker acceleration, better ride, and if you go up a half inch in wheel width you will have a little bit better stability in your contact patch particularly if you decide at some point to go with 265 / 35 - 19 tires. I've gotten so called rotary forged wheels and been disappointed both in terms of their durability and in terms of their weight. Save your money and get a set of forged alloys. If you can't do this all at once then I would get the tire first and then the lightweight wheel down the road.

Hi folks.

18 will handle better. Why buy those t sport lines when you can get similar designs cheaper, and actually forged instead of spin cast wheels (that’s all flow formed are, they are not forged)

yep. That’s probably why most people that drive alit prefer 18”, and why most people that track their cars hard, also prefer 18”.
Nope. You're conflating two issues. First of all you can get to 300 + series tires in an 18in wheel size which to my knowledge is not available in a 19-inch wheel size that fits the car. Those tires are completely impossible for driving on the street (and won't even fit in the wheel wells with out a lot of negative camber) but invaluable on the track. In terms of Street handling the shorter side wall does improve transient response although probably not ultimate lateral acceleration which is more of a function of tread width and wheel width. So from a subjective standpoint XLR is right. And a fair number of guys are actually tracking the car with 19-inch Wheel sets but folks who are trying to set lap records are pretty much exclusively running 18s.

• Informative
Reactions: geekflyer and Apone
People track on the smallest diameter wheels that clear their brakes since tires in those sizes tend to be cheaper. Track rats trying for lap records spend a lot of time/$$ at the track, so the difference between 19" and 18" in terms of running costs adds up fast.

For the same brand/model of street tire of about the same diameter, 19" will have shorter sidewall and feel a bit more responsive. OP's question on OEM options involves different tires though. Out of those two, the 19" option will handle marginally better.

But changing the tires on OEM 18" to MP4S will handle better than OEM 19" wheel/tire combo. And will cost less than $1500, factoring in the sale of OEM 18" tire take-offs.

Nope. You're conflating two issues. First of all you can get to 300 + series tires in an 18in wheel size which to my knowledge is not available in a 19-inch wheel size that fits the car. Those tires are completely impossible for driving on the street (and won't even fit in the wheel wells with out a lot of negative camber) but invaluable on the track. In terms of Street handling the shorter side wall does improve transient response although probably not ultimate lateral acceleration which is more of a function of tread width and wheel width. So from a subjective standpoint XLR is right. And a fair number of guys are actually tracking the car with 19-inch Wheel sets but folks who are trying to set lap records are pretty much exclusively running 18s.

so you’re saying in a very long post, that people tracking their cars prefer 18”wheels?

so you’re saying in a very long post, that people tracking their cars prefer 18”wheels?

Yes, most people track cars with smaller diameter wheels for better acceleration (lower weight) and lower tire replacement costs. I'd just stick with the standard 18" aero wheels and upgrade the tires first if you want better handling. If that's not good enough, work on the suspension.

ok, thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will keep my order with the 18" Aeros, drive them a bit and see how it feels, and if I don't like 'em enough swap the tires for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 T0. Will probably not go for 4S, since they seem to be not available as Tesla T0 spec in 18" size, which means they'd lack the acoustic foam, whereas the PS4's are available as T0.

ok, thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will keep my order with the 18" Aeros, drive them a bit and see how it feels, and if I don't like 'em enough swap the tires for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 T0. Will probably not go for 4S, since they seem to be not available as Tesla T0 spec in 18" size, which means they'd lack the acoustic foam, whereas the PS4's are available as T0.

the ps4s in 235/45/18 T0 spec is available.

Go for aftermarket, but don't buy tsportlines. Their logo is embossed on the side, and it's not a name brand.

You can buy whatever you want aftermarket, here's the specs for the rims:

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/7t97pl/model_3_stock_aftermarket_wheel_info/

Here's what I got for my car. flowforged 19" in hyper silver. same weight as the aero 18" rims. I asked for a bit more offset. The mfg cuts rims to whatever spec you ask for. If I had to do it again I'd move it out another 10mm

ps: If you want tire options, try this page: Best Tesla Model 3 compatible tires compared using Tire Rack and Tyre Reviews

signal-attachment-2019-11-22-203147_002.jpeg

Reactions: MC_EV and mdsco
I normally would've ordered the 19" ones but the new design just seems kinda ugly, so I went with the 18".
I'm on your same boat. My wife wants a 2021 gray/white with 18s, but I told her I'd get it for her but with 19s. After seeing them, no freaking way, so if Tesla doesn't insult me with the trade, I'd get her what she wants. Well, she also prefers another gas car, so I have a way out if the trade offer is ridiculous, since we need to trade (600 miles away). Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to remove the aero covers, like on the previous version, if you get tired of them. By the way, what brand and model of tire comes with the 18s and 19s? Thx.