Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Wheel Size for looks and Commuting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
Just recently got my first Tesla. A used 2016 Model S 90D. I was searching for a while for the perfect Model S and unlimited free supercharging was my main search parameter.

Anyway, It is grey sitting on 19" silver slipstream wheels. So basic AF. These wheels have GOT to go.

Plans are to chrome delete. Tint the windows, and go with Matte Bronze wheels!

I was originally looking at Vorsteiner VF 103 in charcoal but sadly Vorsteiner stopped making these in a 21" staggered setup.

Then I went down the rabbit hole of Matte bronze. Leaning towards either Avante Garde 21" M590s or 20" M580s

Here is my dilemma and I keep going back and forth.

20" or 21" ??

EVERYone says 21" will destroy tires when hitting potholes. Thing is, I have lived in LA all of my life and know how to avoid obstacles, other cars, texting drivers, Ubers, AND potholes.

And 21" rims look SO clean on the Model S.

But then I have seen some sick looking 20" configurations.

I don't plan to lower the car and want as close to a stock wheel diameter as I can get. But don't want an immense wheel gap. Definitely want staggered larger rear wheels, for that concave rim look!

Maybe I am asking too much. Anyone have photos of their Grey model s with chrome delete and matte bronze wheels?

@MeanModulS Congrats on joining the Tesla family!

I recommend 20's staggered. Cheaper rubber, all season vs 21's in Z rated that don't last long and are pricier.

This is the closest to stock you can get with the 20 inch slipstream wheels from a Model X. I'm mentioning this specific wheel simply for the offsets and size that has no rubbing except in tight reverse turns you will get some minor rubbing in the front.

Model X 20 inch wheels
Bolt pattern: 5x120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Front wheels: 20 x 9.0 +35 mm offset.
Rear wheels: 20 x 9.5 +35mm offset.

255/35/20 front and 295/30/20 rear

Reactions: akng126
@MeanModulS Congrats on joining the Tesla family!

I recommend 20's staggered. Cheaper rubber, all season vs 21's in Z rated that don't last long and are pricier.

This is the closest to stock you can get with the 20 inch slipstream wheels from a Model X. I'm mentioning this specific wheel simply for the offsets and size that has no rubbing except in tight reverse turns you will get some minor rubbing in the front.

Model X 20 inch wheels
Bolt pattern: 5x120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Front wheels: 20 x 9.0 +35 mm offset.
Rear wheels: 20 x 9.5 +35mm offset.

255/35/20 front and 295/30/20 rear
Thanks! Do you have any photos of your model X with this configuration?

Thanks! Do you have any photos of your model X with this configuration?
791A3346-C133-4123-93B1-AE05DF500806.jpeg
998D8CF7-25CF-437F-90B4-559AC128407A.jpeg
B95D02E0-EA67-4B1E-953A-BBB2CB372E2D.jpeg

That looks really good. Do you know:
A) what tire size that member is running and
B) if he’s lowered the model S?
I have a feeling if I go with 20” rims (even staggered) and don’t lower the car, the wheel gap will drive me nuts.
Thanks for the pictures though. Really clean.
I'm pretty sure he's running 245/285

Car is on the low setting with the OEM air suspension

FYI, the wheel gap from 19/20/21 is all the same. the diameter of the wheel/tire combo, if you do it right, wont affect anything height wise. So even if you go with 21" wheels without a drop it would look the same as a 19 with just more tire. I run a 20" staggered setup but I'm lowered.

And how is your ride quality lowered? I'm scared to get into too many suspension mods, as i don't want to bottom out or affect ride quality. Also, I don't have adjustable air suspension with my model S. Just one ride height.

But thank you, I am learning a ton from this forum.

There are so many good looking rims it is so hard to choose!

20” is the best compromise IMO, but 21” def looks better. Just a lot more $$ for tire replacements.
My 20” Misano setup. Stock low SAS setting.
That is a super clean set up. I see you did the partial chrome delete.

I am having the toughest time trying to talk myself out of matte bronze wheels at the moment. Like these bad 20" Avante Garde wheels. I think on my grey Model s with chrome delete, these would look incredible.

Tesla1full-1024x671.jpg

And how is your ride quality lowered? I'm scared to get into too many suspension mods, as i don't want to bottom out or affect ride quality. Also, I don't have adjustable air suspension with my model S. Just one ride height.

But thank you, I am learning a ton from this forum.

There are so many good looking rims it is so hard to choose!
I have the adjustable air suspension so I can't speak to the coil suspension. I don't typically ride in low due to the roads in Colorado being riddled with bumps and potholes but I'd say my lowered ride height at standard is about as low if not a little lower than the factory low and I usually use the low setting for more of a 'stanced' look while hard parking. My car with chrome delete & blacked out headlights sitting on 20" BC Forged RZ21 wheels in low setting
BK7C1643-XL.jpg

That is a super clean set up. I see you did the partial chrome delete.

I am having the toughest time trying to talk myself out of matte bronze wheels at the moment. Like these bad 20" Avante Garde wheels. I think on my grey Model s with chrome delete, these would look incredible.

Tesla1full-1024x671.jpg
Mostly chrome deleted vs partial. Since it was DIY, I did everything except for the mirrors because I knew I’d mess it up. I could’ve sprayed them with Plast-Dip, but just didn’t think the ROI was there.
As for bronze wheels, it depends if you want to make a statement everyday. I decided to see for myself so dipped my winter set. I personally wouldn’t run them daily. A couple weeks each year, sure. :)

Attachments

• CE5B8EB6-4117-468A-B9A3-AEF9950975DA.jpeg
    CE5B8EB6-4117-468A-B9A3-AEF9950975DA.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 8672CFE0-0510-4A90-94B2-E62851ABEA55.jpeg
    8672CFE0-0510-4A90-94B2-E62851ABEA55.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 109