Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best wheels for X P90D for ride comfort and range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, can anyone help me decide what are the best wheels to replace the stock 22s on a P90D X? Goal is ride comfort, range, and grip. No track usage, no towing. Looks don't matter. Southern California.

1) Tesla stock 20s (9-inch in front, 9.5-inch rear).

2) Tesla stock 20s (9-inch all around).

3) Martian Wheels 20s. Forged. Each wheel is 10 pounds lighter than stock 20s.

4) Martian Wheels 19s. Forged. Each wheel is 12 pounds lighter than stock 20s.

I'm leaning toward #2, although I'll lose some grip. Maybe won't matter with no rear passengers and no towing. Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

For your RANGE and COMFORT, I say Model 'S' takeoff 19" Tempest rims. 19" = have to use tire with a taller aspect ratio, so more sidewall between you and the road. Will be smoother than existing 22s because of that. And also get a range increase with a narrower, taller tire. Then the Tempest has the aero plastic cover so less openings for better range. Lots of people will say 19s, ugly and aero cover, ugly. Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't think they look bad.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
For your RANGE and COMFORT, I say Model 'S' takeoff 19" Tempest rims. 19" = have to use tire with a taller aspect ratio, so more sidewall between you and the road. Will be smoother than existing 22s because of that. And also get a range increase with a narrower, taller tire. Then the Tempest has the aero plastic cover so less openings for better range. Lots of people will say 19s, ugly and aero cover, ugly. Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't think they look bad.
Interesting idea, and likely affordable. Looks like the Model X 19 cyclones Tesla sells for winter have identical specs to the Model S Tempest wheel 19s, so they would work.

Thinking about it longer, these Tempest 19s may be too narrow for an X P90D ludicrous, only 8.5 inches wide.

Maybe one of these two options is best:
Stock Model X 20s, with 9-inch width on all 4 wheels, so tire rotations will be easier.
or
Martian Wheel 19s, with 8.5 inch width in front, and 9.5-inch width in rear. Will try to paste a link here:

I don't know much about wheels/tires, just learning. I do know that I need to replace the 22s, for comfort and range reasons.

Interesting idea, and likely affordable. Looks like the Model X 19 cyclones Tesla sells for winter have identical specs to the Model S Tempest wheel 19s, so they would work.

Thinking about it longer, these Tempest 19s may be too narrow for an X P90D ludicrous, only 8.5 inches wide.

Maybe one of these two options is best:
Stock Model X 20s, with 9-inch width on all 4 wheels, so tire rotations will be easier.
or
Martian Wheel 19s, with 8.5 inch width in front, and 9.5-inch width in rear. Will try to paste a link here:

I don't know much about wheels/tires, just learning. I do know that I need to replace the 22s, for comfort and range reasons.

you won't be able to rotate stock 20s unless you have a spacer

• Informative
you won't be able to rotate stock 20s unless you have a spacer
After looking at other threads, it seems that there are no spacers required if using square setup with 9-inch wheels (not 9.5-inch).
Installed on front : 20x9" stock X front wheels, 265/45R20
Installed on rear : 20x9" stock X *front* wheels, 265/45R20
Not used : The stock rear wheels, which are 20x9.5"

Stock Model X front wheels installed on all 4 wheels seems like the best way to go, since they are so cheap on the marketplace forums. Then I can rotate tires freely between all 4 wheels. I hope this works :)

After looking at other threads, it seems that there are no spacers required if using square setup with 9-inch wheels (not 9.5-inch).
Installed on front : 20x9" stock X front wheels, 265/45R20
Installed on rear : 20x9" stock X *front* wheels, 265/45R20
Not used : The stock rear wheels, which are 20x9.5"

Stock Model X front wheels installed on all 4 wheels seems like the best way to go, since they are so cheap on the marketplace forums. Then I can rotate tires freely between all 4 wheels. I hope this works :)

i guess that's technically correct, but the rear is going to look silly being sucked in

OP here. In the end, I bought a used set of 20-inch black sonic carbon wheels locally, all 4 wheels total cost about the same as a single new Martian wheel. So now I have 20x9s (front) and 20x9.5 (rear). So I guess my next decision is:
1) Install new directional tires and be unable to rotate tires, ever.
2) Install new non-directional tires and rotate tires side to side only.
3) Buy two more 20x9 (front) wheels, put them on the rear, and freely rotate tires whenever I want. With the Low/Medium ride height issues and uneven wear and shudder problems, I really want to be able to rotate tires.
i guess that's technically correct, but the rear is going to look silly being sucked in (with 20x9 on rear)
Ngng : I doubt it. The difference between 9.5 and 9 inch width is only 0.25 inches on the outside/visible part. Don't think a quarter of an inch width will be noticeable. But I don't really know, and I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks to all who read and gave feedback.

OP here. In the end, I bought a used set of 20-inch black sonic carbon wheels locally, all 4 wheels total cost about the same as a single new Martian wheel. So now I have 20x9s (front) and 20x9.5 (rear). So I guess my next decision is:
3) Buy two more 20x9 (front) wheels, put them on the rear, and freely rotate tires whenever I want. With the Low/Medium ride height issues and uneven wear and shudder problems, I really want to be able to rotate tires.

Ngng : I doubt it. The difference between 9.5 and 9 inch width is only 0.25 inches on the outside/visible part. Don't think a quarter of an inch width will be noticeable. But I don't really know, and I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks to all who read and gave feedback.

yeah fair point, i'm pretty picky about wheel fitment though :)

i do have some 9s i could throw on and test

My experience with side to side rotate is tires don't wear on one side and not the other if all is right in the car. Front to rear, oh yeah, wear differences galore. Do directional, as not going to rotate side to side anyway. Or, get a second 9" front set and front to rear rotate. Your choice.

Lots of good technical info and rationale. I have one doubt which perhaps someone can clarify- Tesla must have a reason that they put a 275mm tire in the rear and a 265mm tire in the front for a MX as stock tires? My Mercedes had wider rear tires, but that is RWD vehicle and i can understand that traction comes from the rear wheel , hence more surface area and more surface area contact/traction. What is the rationale for Tesla choosing 265 and 275 size tires? Is it because in the 7 seat configuration, with full load , the weight distribution gets loaded more on the rear wheel?

Lots of good technical info and rationale. I have one doubt which perhaps someone can clarify- Tesla must have a reason that they put a 275mm tire in the rear and a 265mm tire in the front for a MX as stock tires? My Mercedes had wider rear tires, but that is RWD vehicle and i can understand that traction comes from the rear wheel , hence more surface area and more surface area contact/traction. What is the rationale for Tesla choosing 265 and 275 size tires? Is it because in the 7 seat configuration, with full load , the weight distribution gets loaded more on the rear wheel?

Probably a combination of a few things...

For the rear = more power/launch/rabbit starts and weight bias would ideally require more surface area (the best you can do for the given space/diameter that the X was designed for)...

For the fronts = there's a lot of stuff that can be rubbed against during turning, so, need to have the right sized wheel to fit in there..

You can go squared (I've done that now - 275/45r20s, not using the Tesla 20 wheels) and don't need to be staggered...

Probably a combination of a few things...

For the rear = more power/launch/rabbit starts and weight bias would ideally require more surface area (the best you can do for the given space/diameter that the X was designed for)...

For the fronts = there's a lot of stuff that can be rubbed against during turning, so, need to have the right sized wheel to fit in there..

You can go squared (I've done that now - 275/45r20s, not using the Tesla 20 wheels) and don't need to be staggered...
Thanks for your clarification and insight