Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Widest tires for M3 18" OEM Aero rims (2017-2020 version), and LA rim rash repair (255/40 18?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is super important and the answer will help many people. I've spent over an hour researching how tire sizes work and how to answer the question in the thread title. The following is what I believe to be the case from my research. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Stock tires on the M3 18" OEM Aero rims (2017-2020 version) are 235/45 18, meaning 235 wide, 45 aspect ratio, and made for 18" rims. however, with this width, the Aero rims stick out beyond the side of the tire leading to rim rash. The time has come for me to replace my OEM tires and I would like to replace them with tires that stick out beyond the rims (like most cars have) in order to protect the rims. From what I can tell a 255 tread width is the widest the M3 18" OEM Aero rims (2017-2020 version) can take. because the tread width is wider the aspect ratio (45 on OEM) has to be reduced one size smaller so that the overall tire diameter remains roughly the same.

Therefore it seems that tire size 255/40 18 tires are the best option for M3 18" OEM Aero rims (2017-2020 version) for the purpose of a tire compatible with said rim but with a maximum width. There are so many Model 3s with OEM Aero rims from 2017-2020 but I can't find good answers to the questions below.

Questions:

1.) Is the above true?

2.) Has anyone tried this? Which specific model of tire?

3.) Has anyone gone to a rim repair place in or around Los Angeles that they are happy with? How much did they charge?

Thanks for your help with this.

Use 245/45R18. That's what I have on my 18x8.5" wheels. 245 on 8.5" wide is what my other Tesla came with from the factory, and what my last ICE car came with as well.

No the tire doesn't stick out like balloon truck tires, but it's just wide enough that you can - for example - rest the wheel+tire (with tire mounted and aired up) on the ground without scratching the rim.

If you want real protection from curbing, get some kind of wheel guard / hubcap, or park more carefully.

Reactions: texastodd
D74887BD-737E-44E0-85D5-2F239BBE536D.jpeg
This is a 255/40/18 Michelin PS4S on a 18x8.5 (TSportline) wheel

This is super important and the answer will help many people. I've spent over an hour researching how tire sizes work and how to answer the question in the thread title. The following is what I believe to be the case from my research. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Stock tires on the M3 18" OEM Aero rims (2017-2020 version) are 235/45 18, meaning 235 wide, 45 aspect ratio, and made for 18" rims. however, with this width, the Aero rims stick out beyond the side of the tire leading to rim rash. The time has come for me to replace my OEM tires and I would like to replace them with tires that stick out beyond the rims (like most cars have) in order to protect the rims. From what I can tell a 255 tread width is the widest the M3 18" OEM Aero rims (2017-2020 version) can take. because the tread width is wider the aspect ratio (45 on OEM) has to be reduced one size smaller so that the overall tire diameter remains roughly the same.

Therefore it seems that tire size 255/40 18 tires are the best option for M3 18" OEM Aero rims (2017-2020 version) for the purpose of a tire compatible with said rim but with a maximum width. There are so many Model 3s with OEM Aero rims from 2017-2020 but I can't find good answers to the questions below.

Questions:

1.) Is the above true?

2.) Has anyone tried this? Which specific model of tire?

3.) Has anyone gone to a rim repair place in or around Los Angeles that they are happy with? How much did they charge?

Thanks for your help with this.
1. They’re the widest option. Not sure about best.
2. See above
3. I used a mobile rim repair service based out of Tustin, CA roughly $100 per wheel when I had these heavier rims

I put some Continental ExtremeContact 255/40-18's on mine to improve rim protection.
Pros:
1. Better traction
2. Excellent rim protection
3. I like the "beefier" look of the tires on the rims.
Cons:
1. I lost a LOT of range - shortly after purchase, I measured a 15% increase in consumption compared with the stock MXM4's.
2. The speedo now reads about 3 mph fast at highway speeds. Not a big deal; but it causes problems with AP on surface streets. During rush hour here in Phoenix, traffic moves at about 10 mph over the speed limit on surface streets; AP already limits you to only 5 mph over, then the tire size issue takes another 2 mph off that, so I really annoy other drivers when I enable AP. Next time, I'll get a tire with a slightly larger diameter so the speedo reads 3 mph SLOW at highway speeds to help resolve that issue.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I put some Continental ExtremeContact 255/40-18's on mine to improve rim protection.
Pros:
1. Better traction
2. Excellent rim protection
3. I like the "beefier" look of the tires on the rims.
Cons:
1. I lost a LOT of range - shortly after purchase, I measured a 15% increase in consumption compared with the stock MXM4's.
2. The speedo now reads about 3 mph fast at highway speeds. Not a big deal; but it causes problems with AP on surface streets. During rush hour here in Phoenix, traffic moves at about 10 mph over the speed limit on surface streets; AP already limits you to only 5 mph over, then the tire size issue takes another 2 mph off that, so I really annoy other drivers when I enable AP. Next time, I'll get a tire with a slightly larger diameter so the speedo reads 3 mph SLOW at highway speeds to help resolve that issue.

Good luck to you.
It should be 265/40r18 for identical diameter, and rev/mile compare to stock 235/45r18.

View attachment 799962This is a 255/40/18 Michelin PS4S on a 18x8.5 (TSportline) wheel

1. They’re the widest option. Not sure about best.
2. See above
3. I used a mobile rim repair service based out of Tustin, CA roughly $100 per wheel when I had these heavier rims
I just got a new M3 and want to buy new tires before I mess up my new rims. Why do you say these are the widest? is this modal of tire known for extra sidewall rubber to protect rims?