Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Wifi extender

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I purchased a standard wifi extender via Amazon but even tho from a distance it doesn't seem that far from the car, I worry that due to the fact that i live in a brick house it is why the signal is so weak to my Y in the driveway. Anyone know of a real good Wifi extender?

Another option you might want to explore is increasing the length of antennas used on your main wifi router, if they are changeable.

An extender doesn't have to be outside the house, by any means. I imagine most are not rated for outdoor use(except maybe in a covered porch environment)

Hello,

I purchased a standard wifi extender via Amazon but even tho from a distance it doesn't seem that far from the car, I worry that due to the fact that i live in a brick house it is why the signal is so weak to my Y in the driveway. Anyone know of a real good Wifi extender?
Another option it to get a powerline adapter and connect a router on repeater mode in your garage. That should give you the best signal strength. I personally hate wifi extenders.

Before you buy another piece of hardware, first make sure your router MY is connecting to a 2.4 GHz WiFi network, not a 5GHz. 2.4GHz will give you better range and a better chance of penetrating solid objects.

Other options could be moving your wireless router closer to a window and/or hard-wiring another wireless router from your existing router and setting it as an access point.

Hello,

Before you buy another piece of hardware, first make sure your router MY is connecting to a 2.4 GHz WiFi network, not a 5GHz. 2.4GHz will give you better range and a better chance of penetrating solid objects.

Other options could be moving your wireless router closer to a window and/or hard-wiring another wireless router from your existing router and setting it as an access point.

Listen to what @ajstan says, especially the 2.4 GHz part. A wireless repeater will not help.

Reactions: Sophias_dad
Thanks. Problem - no garage and no porch, so putting something outside isn't a great idea TBH.
In that case, I agree with the 2.4Ghz route and make sure you play around with the wifi channel. There's an app called WifiAnalyzer which tells you the best channels to use. Also make sure your router is not placed in proximity of bigger electronics like your tv. How big is your home and what router are you using?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H

Yeah the extender is at 2.4, I checked. Wifi core router (Xfinity) says indicates to me it is broadcasting at both.

In that case, I agree with the 2.4Ghz route and make sure you play around with the wifi channel. There's an app called WifiAnalyzer which tells you the best channels to use. Also make sure your router is not placed in proximity of bigger electronics like your tv. How big is your home and what router are you using?
Good point about the TV, it's not in use but may be plugged in. Worth seeing if that's an impact.

The main router is away from any electronics - it's in the same room as the washer and dryer. The wifi extender tho is in the kitchen.

I plugged my extender into an extension cord and hanged it over a window overlooking my drive so the signal goes through glass and not the thick exterior wall. It barely gets a signal to the car but it doesn’t need much

I plugged my extender into an extension cord and hanged it over a window overlooking my drive so the signal goes through glass and not the thick exterior wall. It barely gets a signal to the car but it doesn’t need much

This proved to be the answer.

I moved the extender away from the brick to an outlet near windows and the connection was quite strong. Software downloaded and will be installed overnight.

Thank you everyone!