Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best winter/ snow tires in the Colorado Rocky Mountains for Tesla model Y long range performance 20 inch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are numerous threads re winter tires for the Long Range Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels.

Winter tires for the 20” Induction Wheels?

Online retail stores including TireRack,com and Discount Tire can provide information on available winter tires that will fit, work with the Tesla Model Y.

The Original Equipment tires are Extra Load (XL) rated size 255/40-20 with a load index number of 101 and a speed rating of Y.

You can learn about tire specifications here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Upvote 0
The Bridgestone Blizzak LM-005 tire should be able to be fitted to the Long Range Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels.

The OE tire spec is 255/40R-20, XL 101Y, the closest available size for the Blizzak LM-005 performance winter/snow tire is 255/45R-20, XL 105V.

The OE tire outer diameter is 28", the LM-005 is 29". The speedometer readout would read lower than the actual speed by less than 3 MPH, just so you are aware.

You can compare tire sizes here: Tire Size Comparison

• Informative
Reactions: JonB65
Upvote 0
Look at the Conti VikingContact 7. I couldn't find Hakka 19" last winter. Conti's rated well, overall close to or better than R3's in some regards. Have had great experience with the Hakka's and Blizzak's on other cars. Just different. Conti's wear pretty well for dedicated snows, less squirm on dry pavement and in standing water. Maybe not as aggressive feeling in snow, but one of the ratings gave it better marks for braking in snow and ice. Considerations, Tesla tires are wider, and torque/regen braking can quickly overwhelm traction. Use Off-road assist if it's icy/snow packed otherwise you will feel the primarily rear-wheel biased Model Y break traction before the front wheels activate. It's not necessarily unsafe, but the car will fishtail more frequently. Using "winter" settings (Off-Road, Chill, Low Regen) makes a huge difference. I live in the Front Range and drive up and down a long, steep, windy road and learned from trial and error what works.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Look at the Conti VikingContact 7. I couldn't find Hakka 19" last winter. Conti's rated well, overall close to or better than R3's in some regards. Have had great experience with the Hakka's and Blizzak's on other cars. Just different. Conti's wear pretty well for dedicated snows, less squirm on dry pavement and in standing water. Maybe not as aggressive feeling in snow, but one of the ratings gave it better marks for braking in snow and ice. Considerations, Tesla tires are wider, and torque/regen braking can quickly overwhelm traction. Use Off-road assist if it's icy/snow packed otherwise you will feel the primarily rear-wheel biased Model Y break traction before the front wheels activate. It's not necessarily unsafe, but the car will fishtail more frequently. Using "winter" settings (Off-Road, Chill, Low Regen) makes a huge difference. I live in the Front Range and drive up and down a long, steep, windy road and learned from trial and error what works.
How do you set those settings? I just got a y and last week drove in the snow for the first time. Was t a good experience because of the regen and not having winter tires yet. Also on the front range. Looking for winter tires now.

Upvote 0

These showed up overnight from Sparks, NV. Should have them mounted and on the car later this week. I'm interested how they'll ride compared to my 21s. Hoping to test them in Tahoe shortly!

IMG_2506.jpg
IMG_2507.jpg

Upvote 0