Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best X bicycle transport option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a 2016 model X, bought used from Tesla and has no towing capability as far as I know. Unfortunately the 2nd row of seats doesn't come down, so only way to fit bikes inside is taking both wheels off.

Since I have no tow hitch, and what aftermarket options are there, if any? Only need to carry two bikes.

thanks in advance.

J

First look under the rear of the car for the panel described in this article
I don't believe you need the "tow option" to attach a tow hitch receiver. You do need the tow hitch receiver itself of course. If you didn't get one with your car well you can buy it separately ($300 on ebay?). Putting a bike rack in the square receiver is not "towing" and you don't need to unlock the tow package software feature to do it.

As for brands, people generally see no special value in buying tesla's official solution, it's basically a rebadged Yakima. Kuat is a popular alternative here.

If this is something you are going to be doing a lot yes maybe you could just trade your current X for a five seater with fold flat seats.