Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best year model 3 long range

imjuststeven

Oct 13, 2021
USA
So i’m looking to get into a model 3 long range, I’m specifically gunning for the ≈350 mile range version.
I know the 2021 has the better range, but what about 2020? 2019?
and how can i determine which battery a car has without going there in person and checking the range?
and the premium sound system, almost every car i’ve looked at has the extra speakers but i can’t tell if they’re working from their online listings.
any info on battery specs for each year (2019/2020/2021) would be appreciated. i’m finding confusing and conflicting info about it.
also any information on discrepancies between years would be great, also if anyone knows any more specific info about the performance numbers between the “base” performance model 3 and the model 3 long range with the performance upgrade/addon that would be high appreciated as well.

only reason i ask is, it’s my best interest to save money if i can with a slightly older used model 3 that has the 350 mile range vs the 2021 which i know has it. thank you

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
So i’m looking to get into a model 3 long range, I’m specifically gunning for the ≈350 mile range version.

Then you are looking to buy new, with 18 inch tires. Also, since you are a new member here, an EVs "EPA range" number does not have a lot to do with how far it will actually go. There will be almost no operational difference between an EV with 300 miles range and 350 miles range in day to day usage, unless you drive your car professionally or something and drive the entire range of the car every single day.

If the next statement is "I dont have home charging, so I am looking at getting more range so I can charge less on the road", I say again that there will be almost no operational difference between 300 miles range and 350 miles range in how long you will be able to "go between charges".

For "why", you can see the post I made in the model 3 section on what I feel the biggest mistake new or potential owners make regarding range, in this thread. Link to direct post I made below:

Finally, the used car market is nuts right now, and you will likely pay the exact same thing for a new one as you would for a used one... sometimes less for a new one vs used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC