Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Beta Navigation] Lane Change Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to start off by saying I just got beta yesterday (10/24/21) so my experience is very limited. But I have some questions (observations?) about the navigation on autopilot.

1. When on back roads, or roads that are not marked at all, is it supposed to drive in the middle of the road? Is that where the current logic is? Because it REALLY scares the crap out of other drivers. I want to help present data in this area, but its just not safe to use as people think you're driving head on into them
  2. Yellow unprotected left turns: seems that it (for the time being) does not make these turns? I've seen youtube videos where it does, but for me it just sits there waiting and does nothing, even with 0 traffic
  3. Lane Changing: this navigation seems weak so far but need to test a lot more. 1 or 2 lane roads it does well, but on the image below it just can not do this route at the moment.
    1. 1.PNG this route involves a left and right hand turn at stop lights, from a 2 lane road to a 3 lane road, to a 3 lane road
    2. at the first left turn, it gets into the turn lane very well, makes a turn onto the 3 lane road into the left lane, no issues here
    3. once on the 3 lane road is when the main issue starts, it will stay in the left lane until the road that is listed as "4 min" then try to get over for the right hand turn last minute but only makes it one lane over before hitting the next stop light
    4. if I get the car over to the correct lane, it will make the right hand turn onto the 3 lane road fine, but without manual intervention (I've tried this route 4 times already) it just will not get over to make the turn
Are these new issues for 10.3? Or just some things that are currently how beta works? I've never seen any videos on it navigation across 2 or 3 lanes to make a turn besides on the highway. Which I absolutely love how it can do. I know we're having a lot of new issues with 10.3 so curious if this is something to expect moving forward or just current issues.

Sorry if this has been discussed! Haven't seen threads on #3 yet but could just be missing them

Attachments

• 23.PNG
    23.PNG
    956.2 KB · Views: 47
...When on back roads, or roads that are not marked at all, is it supposed to drive in the middle of the road? Is that where the current logic is?...
That's how is currently designed. It works as designed: Whenever there's a lane, whether big or small, it would center itself.

That does not mean it is correct nor optimal as you pointed out.

...Because it REALLY scares the crap out of other drivers...
Correct.
... I want to help present data in this area, but its just not safe to use as people think you're driving head on into them...
Please drive safely. You are not paid by Tesla to risk an accident in order to prove how bad/good the system works.

...Yellow unprotected left turns: seems that it (for the time being) does not make these turns? I've seen youtube videos where it does, but for me it just sits there waiting and does nothing, even with 0 traffic...
I am not sure about a yellow light. It would move for a green light.
...Lane Changing: this navigation seems weak so far but need to test a lot more. 1 or 2 lane roads it does well, but on the image below it just can not do this route at the moment...
I am not surprised if you've found some deficiencies. It's still very infancy in development.
  1. View attachment 725447 this route involves a left and right hand turn at stop lights, from a 2 lane road to a 3 lane road, to a 3 lane road
  2. at the first left turn, it gets into the turn lane very well, makes a turn onto the 3 lane road into the left lane, no issues here
  3. once on the 3 lane road is when the main issue starts, it will stay in the left lane until the road that is listed as "4 min" then try to get over for the right hand turn last minute but only makes it one lane over before hitting the next stop light
  4. if I get the car over to the correct lane, it will make the right hand turn onto the 3 lane road fine, but without manual intervention (I've tried this route 4 times already) it just will not get over to make the turn
Your criticisms are valid but you might be expecting too much from an infant.

An infant gets better when growing into a toddler, preschooler, teenager, then adult. If you are asking for a task: talking, crawling, standing, walking, running... before each developmental stage, there's no way the task could be achieved.

Are these new issues for 10.3?
No. That's how it is designed. It works as designed. That doesn't mean it's good but that's its capability for now.

...Or just some things that are currently how beta works?...
Yes.
...I've never seen any videos on it navigation across 2 or 3 lanes to make a turn besides on the highway...
That is what I expect that it should be able to do because Tesla predicted that there would be a million robotaxis on the street with no drivers by 2020.

However, the expectation is different from reality.

When turning left off a side street onto a main street with the middle lane, the rule is to turn left onto the middle lane, stop there, wait for clear right lane, then merge. Tesla FSD 10..3 and 10.4 simply want to skip stopping in the middle lane. Is this everyone's experience?

FSD 10.3 and 10.4 simply want to skip stopping in the middle lane
It's actually illegal to turn into the middle center turn lane in some states, so I believe FSD Beta avoids that maneuver right now until Tesla decides to add state-specific behaviors. Although it's also illegal to travel in the center turn lane over a certain distance that depends on each state, and I've definitely seen FSD Beta accidentally get in too early.