TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Beta testing the Tesla channel for Numerous

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by cwood, Feb 5, 2015.

1. cwood

cwood Member

#1 cwood, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Hi all-

I'm the proud owner of a P85D and also one of the cofounders of Numerous (Numerous: Follow and share life's most important numbers). I'm looking for beta testers for our new Tesla channel.

Numerous lets you track the most important numbers in your life--temperatures, stock prices, event countdowns, Nest thermostats and smoke/CO alarms, etc. It also lets you set up notifications on these (e.g., "Notify me when this number goes below this value"), see graphs of historical values, share your numbers and host comment threads about them, show them via AirPlay, and all sorts of other stuff.

Being a Tesla owner, some of my most important numbers include "Rated Range", "Battery Level", "Charge Rate", and "Time to Full Charge". I especially wanted to be able to set up alerts like "Notify me when Time to Full Charge goes below 10 minutes" so I could head back to the Supercharger, and "Notify me when Charge Rate goes below 1 mi/hr" so I can know if charging has stopped for some reason.

So I created a custom channel for Numerous that allows me to track those. It's not yet public, but it is ready for broader testing. So if you have an iOS 8 device, a Tesla, amd a willingness to help, please email me at [email protected].

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Tesla Motors in any way other than being a happy customer and investor. Like other third-party apps, the Tesla channel for Numerous is not sanctioned by Tesla and could stop working at any time if they decide to turn of API access.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Somewhat interested, but would like to know a bit more on how the integration works. Do we have to hand over credentials?

3. cwood

cwood Member

Yes, you do. Since Tesla doesn't yet provide any way for 3rd-party apps to talk to its API without (at least) a Bearer token, we first ask for your email and password, then generate a bearer token and use that to talk to Tesla on your behalf. Obviously this is far from ideal. I very much hope Tesla implements OAuth 2.0 or something similar so users can grant us access to their data (and revoke that access) without handing over login information.

That being said, we've been building commercial software for a long time. My cofounder John Scalo worked at Apple on OS X and iOS for 20 years. I was previously founder and CEO of Spanning Cloud Apps, which backs up sensitive data for some of the most technically sophisticated companies in the world (including Netflix). Numerous isn't a weekend project--it's a startup funded by some of the most prominent seed investors in the business. None of which guarantees anything, but hopefully can give some confidence that we'll treat your credentials securely.

4. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

This sounds interesting Charlie. I checked out the website and seems like a neat idea with lots of potential. Email sent.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#5 NigelM, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Sorry, but nobody should do this without understanding that they're not only giving access to their MyTesla account (e.g. in my case I've got $40k deposit on an X reservation I don't want anyone messing with) but that also their car is immediately locatable and can be started with the free to download Tesla app (i.e. without a key fob). BTW, once someone has those credentials and can monitor your car it's pretty easy to figure out where you live and work.

No reflection or judgement on the OP but TMC already gets a fair amount of spam (which doesn't make it to the public eye) from folks trying to sell "apps" and asking for login credentials; I say that just to make the point that there's a lot of people out there asking for this information.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Third-party application integration is clearly something owners want. Hopefully Tesla figures this out soon and provides some mechanism for official use of the APIs, otherwise at some point in the future one of these things is going to get caught storing credentials (user/pass, not token) and there's going to be some unflattering headlines about how a single hacker stole the ability to start thousands of Teslas without their keys.

cwood has stated they're not storing those and seems trustworthy, which is great, but as an owner there's absolutely no way to verify those claims. That's Tesla's responsibility, to be honest, and we need some kind of official authentication mechanism or owners are just going to keep handing over the (digital) keys to their vehicles.

7. cwood

cwood Member

You're absolutely right--and frankly I can understand why anyone would be reluctant to give anyone this info. But we've got a long public track record (here's my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charliewood) so you should at least be confident I'm not some scam artist. FWIW we don't issue any commands or write any data.

All that said, I really hope Tesla will provide a better way for third-party apps to integrate with their API. This is what OAuth 2.0 was made for.

Regards,
    Charlie

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

If Tesla doesn't do that (and so far they've kept their 3rd party app roadmap to themselves), then it would be smart of various vendors to be able to provide independent verification of their privacy and security protection / policies. There are plenty of recognized third parties who can provide that type of service (I've used White Hat in the past to probe security breaches for software we were acquiring.)

No judgment on OP or any other services, but before I handed out my credentials (as if), I'd want to see independent verification that my credentials were safe. Until then, I'd have to pass.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I agree with everything except that it's Tesla's responsibility. It's always the owners responsibility to keep their credentials to themselves or to determine who they do/don't trust.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Perhaps a misunderstanding. I mean I think it's Tesla's responsibility to not put its owners in a position where they have to literally give away the keys to the car to enable features the owners want. Certainly I have no way of creating the system necessary to support this access, that's on Tesla.

11. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Are you aware the Tesla iPhone app does similar notifications? It defaults to notifying if charging is interrupted, and can also be set to notify when charging starts and when charging completes. It also notifies you when a supercharger session is 80% complete. Waiting for a 100% charge at a supercharger isn't recommended unless you really need the range, as the last 20% can be painfully slow and usually isn't necessary.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Many members here have set up their own services... Perhaps you guys can code your product in such a way that we can provide a URL to hit which will then provide you with a token (which we'd get on our own via scripts).

13. cwood

cwood Member

Yep, an Android version is under development and should be out in a few weeks. Watch the Numerous Blog for the announcement.

Thanks,
    Charlie

14. Kofi

Kofi Member

Good luck with your app Charlie.

15. cwood

cwood Member

Thanks!

-c