Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bets on When 6.0 Update will be Released...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well there was rumor of Spotify as well, of which I have a subscription to so it would be GREAT if I could get that in the car itself and not have to leverage bluetooth. I would be beside myself with joy.

It's things like this that should be left to third party devs (SDK!) and leave Tesla devs to bigger and better things... just my 2 cents.

I don't think there should be a "big 6.0" release. They should incrementally add the features one at a time to 5.12, 5.13, 5.14 ....

For major changes, developers usually prefer the major release number. At some point, incremental updates won't work, and a major change must occur. We may well see a 5.12 and 5.13 with "maintenance updates" before 6.0, if they find bugs that need to be fixed immediately. How "big" 6.0 is of a release depends on how much new functionality they are adding.

Additionally, there are marketing reasons for deploying a major release number. Not a lot of news outlets will pick up version 5.10 to 5.11, but a number of EV news sites will definitely write stories on 6.0. It's possible there are features that have been "ready" for some months, and are being held to deploy in a big bundle with 6.0, to have better marketing.

Additionally, there are marketing reasons for deploying a major release number. Not a lot of news outlets will pick up version 5.10 to 5.11, but a number of EV news sites will definitely write stories on 6.0. It's possible there are features that have been "ready" for some months, and are being held to deploy in a big bundle with 6.0, to have better marketing.
A good point, for sure. It's pretty likely Tesla wants a big bunch of fancy features all together to further tout in news articles that it's "the only car that gets better the longer you own it," which they like to push as a major selling point.

I don't begrudge them that, but I do wish 6.0 would roll out already... we all know Tesla's time estimates are optimistic, but this one seems like it's been exceptionally wrong.

For the history of releases and timing I did some analysis here:
Cruising in the Tesla Model S | Tesla Living

In Tesla's annual shareholder meeting Elon mentioned 6.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAeetyfnHfk&list=WL&index=6

Software/HW features aroud 13:07-15:49

He said it would be rolling out “fairly soon”, but by now most know these kinds of statements are not really true by the way most people would define soon. Then again he's planning Mars trips and the like so its all relative :p

If I was Elon, I would release it on the Saturday of TMC Connect just for entertainment value.

This.

It would be nice to demo and start pushing out in front of the Tesla faithful, but somehow I don't think so...

Tesla is notably absent from the list of manufacturers supporting either iOS' Carplay or Android Auto as shown below, so I wonder if they're planning on releasing around September when iOS 8.0 releases (mid-September presumably). Although I'd personally be happy with CarPlay support only, I'm sure there are many of you who use Android who would be upset if the Tesla platform was iOS only; I'd be upset if it was Android only. I'm sure Tesla knows the proportion of owners who are using iOS versus Android and they may be figuring out & negotiating (licensing issues) how to support both on their platform. I'd think they'd want to be platform-agnostic for smartphone support.

862684carplayvsandroidauto.jpg

. While some of what you mention would be cool, I think TM is going for better function first, as they should. They have done some incredible upgrades that can be downloaded at home while you sleep. I also think that it would be smart to concentrate on 2-3 major changes in firmware with each release and getting it right versus flooding us with lots of changes that cause major issues. Just one person's opinion

I also think that it would be smart to concentrate on 2-3 major changes in firmware with each release and getting it right versus flooding us with lots of changes that cause major issues. Just one person's opinion

Agree. (Not surprising considering us mods would have to deal with the flood of posts following a flood of updates. :smile:)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, it's been long since discussed that v6.0 should include some real time traffic calculations etc. That stuff has got to be complicated to program and if the algorithms (or whatever) aren't spot on there'll be plenty of owners complaining.

BTW, it's been long since discussed that v6.0 should include some real time traffic calculations etc. That stuff has got to be complicated to program and if the algorithms (or whatever) aren't spot on there'll be plenty of owners complaining.

Navigon has this functionality built in (but not enabled in the Model S) and with Google Maps already integrated it shouldn't be too difficult to shoot over that traffic data. Also, I thought that it was already confirmed that this will be one of the main features introduced in 6.0 along with a full featured trip planner.