Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better car/options for my $45K challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You give up easily.

I made that point on this forum.
The reason I did is because Tesla buyers spend more. Most of the Model S owners had previous vehicles under $60,000... and they were buying $80k sedans.
The same thing is going to happen for Model 3 buyers. Someone who would typically spend 30k on a car will spend 45k because it's a Tesla.

The other reason is simple math.
BMW only sells 70k 3-series each year in the USA, 70k C-Class, 30k A4.... All the other entry level luxury sales are in this area.
There are 400,000 USA reservations for the Model 3. I am going to assume that C-Class, 3series, and A4 sales won't fall to 0 next year.
The Model 3 reservations must be coming from somewhere else, the only logical place are from owners of Civic, Camry, Accord, etc which
sell millions every year.

So it seems reasonable to compare the classes of cars.
I almost pulled the trigger on a BMW 3-series but then the Model S came out. I was saving up for that and then the Model 3 was announced.

The other reason is simple math.
BMW only sells 70k 3-series each year in the USA, 70k C-Class, 30k A4.... All the other entry level luxury sales are in this area.
There are 400,000 USA reservations for the Model 3. I am going to assume that C-Class, 3series, and A4 sales won't fall to 0 next year.
The Model 3 reservations must be coming from somewhere else,

Huh? I think a logic train just whizzed past. Why are you considering only US sales in midrange sedan figures, but then pretending that all Model 3 reservations must be from the US? Because I can assure you, that's absolutely not the case.

There's a whole world out there. Not just the US.

Huh? I think a logic train just whizzed past. Why are you considering only US sales in midrange sedan figures, but then pretending that all Model 3 reservations must be from the US? Because I can assure you, that's absolutely not the case.

I did not say all reservations were in the US.
If there are now 500,000 reservations, I think it is safe to say 400,000 are in the USA.
Even if that number were 300,000 just in the USA, most of those buyers would still be coming from outside entry level luxury sedans.

now if entry level sedan sales across the board crashed by 80% next year, then I'll say hey I was wrong.

All I know is that polls of Tesla owners show that the vast majority spends up for the car. I see no reason why that same behaviour doesn't apply to Model 3 buyers.

Reactions: Big-T
I am leaning pretty hard towards the early model 3 with AP, non-black for $55K. With federal and California credit /rebate it should cost me $45K. That's more than I have ever spent on a car and more than I budgeted. I don't think there is anything close to consider instead, but I would be interested in other's suggestions of better equipped alternatives. I know that the model 3 does not have everything that other $45k vehicles have (ie I just drove my in-laws Lexus es350 with heated & air conditioned seats and thought hmmmm these are nice) . What creature comforts am I giving up that are not uncommon in this price range? I will start the list :
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Air conditioned seats
  • XM radio
  • ???
Please list at least 1 car you know it's included on in this price range

I too will be spending the most that I have ever spent on a new car. I'm 69 years old and at this stage of my life I feel that I damn straight deserve this car and am willing to pay up to $60k for it. I've been saving for over three years for this car and yes I didn't expect some of the higher option prices, but the M3 is still one hell of a car.

NO car will have everything that everyone wants. If you're one of the folks who only want a car to commute to and from work, then buy a Bolt, or Leaf, or some other less range, less expensive EV. If you are like me and are looking forward to road trips and the availability of the supercharger system, then Tesla is for you.

Stop whining about heated steering wheels!!! Go buy a steering wheel warmer that you can buy on Amazon. Air conditioned seats....REALLY. XM Radio, I am with you on this one because it is valuable on road trips where there is no cell service, which is unbelievably more often than people think.

I short, the Tesla Model 3 as it is being sold is an outstanding car for an outstanding price!

Oh wait I remember you. You were the one who kept insisting that urban parallel parking resident just need to "Ask" the city to get a charger installed in a public sidewalk.
Something that I kept reiterating is currently prohibited by zoning laws.
heh logic

I did not say all reservations were in the US.
If there are now 500,000 reservations, I think it is safe to say 400,000 are in the USA.

1) There are not, and 2) That's a stupid assumption.

Even if that number were 300,000 just in the USA

That's still an unreasonable assumption.

The world's largest EV market is China. The world's second largest EV market is the EU + Norway. The US is only in third place.

Oh wait I remember you. You were the one who kept insisting that urban parallel parking resident just need to "Ask" the city to get a charger installed in a public sidewalk.

Oh wait, I remember you. You're the one who kept refusing to ask whether there were any options for them to charge anywhere near them / whether options could be added anywhere near them (incl. if they paid), including at work and other places they visit frequently - and just kept insisting there was no hope, without ever doing the slightest bit of legwork.

Last edited:
I'm confused. In your spreadsheet I see a bunch of fields full of Us with umlauts and carats (red, yellow or green, sometimes with plusses and minuses), rather than yes/no/optional /pricing like I'd expect.
Yeah, there's a problem with the wingdings... it seems to work in Win. Chrome but doesn't in Firefox or mobile Chrome (I kind of expected Excel online to serve up webfonts rather than relying on local fonts, but that didn't pan out). Anyway, it's supposed to be a set of color coded checks and x-marks noting features included in specific approximately comparable vehicle configurations in order to compare how close the Model 3 is to ICE price parity. A quick glance at how the chart is supposed to look via the video will make even the messed up spreadsheet make sense.

Like I said, for better or worse, the spreadsheet was built to provide visuals for the video.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Yeah, there's a problem with the wingdings... it seems to work in Win. Chrome but doesn't in Firefox or mobile Chrome (I kind of expected Excel online to serve up webfonts rather than relying on local fonts, but that didn't pan out). Anyway, it's supposed to be a set of color coded checks and x-marks noting features included in specific approximately comparable vehicle configurations in order to compare how close the Model 3 is to ICE price parity. A quick glance at how the chart is supposed to look via the video will make even the messed up spreadsheet make sense.

Like I said, for better or worse, the spreadsheet was built to provide visuals for the video.

That's a shame, I was thinking about trying to use the spreadsheet to figure out "approximately comparable featuresets" between the vehicles that could be defensibly argued (aka, trying to get the others as close to M3's standard features and, separately, M3's PUP features, wherein the things that they don't have ) - and then what it costs for each version. I then was hoping to use that to plot price vs. performance in various metrics.

I was thinking about doing several versions too - one with just MSRP, one with comparable versions, one taking into account operating costs / depreciation / maintenance, and a final one also accounting for tax incentives. Making some nice scatterplots that will be easy to read that could be shared. :)

That's a shame, I was thinking about trying to use the spreadsheet to figure out "approximately comparable featuresets" between the vehicles that could be defensibly argued (aka, trying to get the others as close to M3's standard features and, separately, M3's PUP features, wherein the things that they don't have ) - and then what it costs for each version.
That's pretty much what the spreadsheet is... First tab is base configuration of comparable models vs. Model 3 Standard, second tab is configuring to match PUP, and the third tab is to match Model 3 Standard + PUP + EAP (approximately). There are even notes on specific cells regarding rationale for the chosen mark (scale was as follows: x [red], ✓-- [yellow], ✓- [yellow], ✓ [green], or ✓+ [green]). The display error is just because wingdings was used to make the marks, but the color coding and +/- indicators should mean that it's still readable. If I have some time, I'll see what I can do about using something other than wingdings.

That's pretty much what the spreadsheet is... First tab is base configuration of comparable models vs. Model 3 Standard, second tab is configuring to match PUP, and the third tab is to match Model 3 Standard + PUP + EAP (approximately). There are even notes on specific cells regarding rationale for the chosen mark (scale was as follows: x [red], ✓-- [yellow], ✓- [yellow], ✓ [green], or ✓+ [green]). The display error is just because wingdings was used to make the marks, but the color coding and +/- indicators should mean that it's still readable. If I have some time, I'll see what I can do about using something other than wingdings.

If I'm not mistaken, the first page seems to have all vehicles in their base config, not with the other vehicles configured to roughly match M3 base config. Because there's lots of greens on the M3 column and lots of reds in the others. I think you may be missing a tab - it's good to have a tab that shows everything its base config, but you also need one with the competitors configured to match M3-base. No?

It'd also be nice to have it clearer what packages you're adding on with each and what they cost. And maybe show what packages are still available. For example if one comes with a performance package I might want to add that in as an independent variable.

Last edited:
I made a video last week comparing options and pricing to a few other cars in the premium sedan segment... gathering the information for the video was awful and a huge time suck...

Video:

Spreadsheet built for the video (not perfect, still waiting for official confirmation on a few things): Model 3 Feature Comparison - Share.xlsx

Keep in mind that the pricing is all MSRP and the average discount from a dealer ranges between around 5% and 12% based on the information I could find (the discount appears regionally dependent).
people expected a model s mini at 35k..lol..never gonna happen....sure model s isnt worth 70-140k...but it is what it is.