Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better car/options for my $45K challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am leaning pretty hard towards the early model 3 with AP, non-black for $55K. With federal and California credit /rebate it should cost me $45K. That's more than I have ever spent on a car and more than I budgeted. I don't think there is anything close to consider instead, but I would be interested in other's suggestions of better equipped alternatives. I know that the model 3 does not have everything that other $45k vehicles have (ie I just drove my in-laws Lexus es350 with heated & air conditioned seats and thought hmmmm these are nice) . What creature comforts am I giving up that are not uncommon in this price range? I will start the list :
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Air conditioned seats
  • XM radio
  • ???
Please list at least 1 car you know it's included on in this price range

A fully loaded, every-option BMW i3 REX is about $57k before incentives ($4000 less for a BEV version), and lord knows dealers are hungry to move them. While Teslas have the advantage of some really great options (AP, only EV's with AWD at present), better styling, better aerodynamics, and more space, the i3 unfairly gets a lot of sh!t thrown at it. I recognize that the styling isn't for everyone, but they are great cars and they are the best driving EV's out there that aren't made by Tesla. They are very light (2800lbs BEV, a little over 3000lbs for the REX) and thus handle very well despite the skinny tires and are peppy to drive (0-60 times in the 7's is bogus, these are low 6-second 0-60 EVs). Also, they rival the Hyundai Ioniq for efficiency- the 114 miles of range from the EPA/BMW is very conservative, 130-140 (for the 33kwh versions) is more realistic, REX versions have a total range over 200 miles. Also, when you buy or lease one, you get two years of free charging* with BMW's Chargenow service (which is simply Chargepoint white-labeled but with access to NRG EVgo stations too). [*= 30min free CCS DC charging at NRG eVgo, 1hr free at Chargepoint/eVgo J1772 stations] Lastly, lease deals on these things are incredible value. I leased a 2015 BEV with a few options on it ($46k MSRP) in the low $300-per-month range. Pricier versions will be around/a little above $400 per month, but still great value and a lot of car for the money. Not quite a Tesla, but still a damn good car

Not to be repetitive, but I am really looking to understand any particular options that I am giving up to buy the Tesla that other cars might offer. Like heated steering wheel, XM, ac vented seats... I haven't heard about any options yet that really rank, but I just wanted to be fully informed....

Not to be repetitive, but I am really looking to understand any particular options that I am giving up to buy the Tesla that other cars might offer. Like heated steering wheel, XM, ac vented seats... I haven't heard about any options yet that really rank, but I just wanted to be fully informed....
I'm trying to help you out here
  • Petrol
  • Stealerships
  • Free Pass to 7-11
  • Lots and lots and lots of BUTTONS

I'm with same options than you but WA, so it's $47.5k.

If I didn't care for the AP, I'm almost certain I'd get the Ioniq. 22.5k after rebate. That's hell of a car for the price. For sure Tesla is not 2x better. But with my commute I'm dyeing to get AP to get some of the stress out from morning traffic.

I've considered something like this. But I wouldn't be able to road trip in it. Which means I'd have to rent a car, pay for its gas and stay at a motel multiple times per year. Easily $1k+/yr in additional expenses given my uses. There goes much of my savings over the lifetime of car ownership, which I hope to own for a long while.

Also, only the non-plug-in hybrid is available nationwide, which might not be what some people are looking for.

Getting same car as OP and I think this is an amazing deal at $45k. That said everyone in my surrounding believes it's still a lot of money hehe. I told them it will be like the iPhone and everyone will want one when they see it but nobody seems convinced

Does the sales tax on the car more than wipe out the tax credit?

Isn't it 7,5%? So if they're going for a $55k M3, then that would be $4125. For a $35k M3 that would only be $2625. But either way more than $2500.

Of course, all cars in CA have to pay sales tax.

ED: Just found this map:

Cheapest_States_to_Buy_a_Car.jpg

A Lexus ES 350 does not have autopilot, so you shouldn't be factoring that into your comparison. Leaving it off would make your Model 3 is $50k and thus $40k to you. Beyond purchase price, it'll save you ~$1k in fuel costs every year as well. The Lexus also has a 7,18s 0-60 time rather than 5,1 and a higher center of gravity (sloppier handling), and is not going to score as well on safety. It doesn't have a lot of other features. "Remote starting", which doesn't even make it comparable to the app, costs $1k. It has a "glass roof" but not nearly as unobstructed, and you have to buy the "ultra luxury package". The Lexus's standard wheels are 17", if you care about that. Standard safety features on the 3 like blind spot monitoring / collision avoidance are optional extras on the Lexus. Navigation on the Lexus adds another $1,5k to your bill. The ventilated seats that you want aren't standard, you have to buy the luxury ($1670) or ultra-luxury ($3500) packages. Indeed, you have to get at least the premium package to get the power steering wheel adjust. Ultra luxury adds the ambient lighting of the Model 3, and also gets an openable sunroof, which is one thing the M3 doesn't have. Premium audio is a separate package, $2590, and comes bundled with a "larger" screen, at 8", vs. the standard 15" Model 3 screen.

That's the thing about the Model 3... even if it weren't electric and qualified for rebates and saving money on fuel, it would be very aggressively priced for a car in its segment. That's what's so impressive about it. And if you're looking for comparable electrics... heh, forget about it. ;)
You forgot to mention driving a gas powered car is like driving a lawn tractor after the Tesla driving experience

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx