Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better headlights after June 2018 build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Darn it. I got a May build. So what actually changed? Anyone have a compare contrast?

IIHS: New Tesla Model 3 Reflector Headlights Improve Car's Safety
No idea but i love the headlights. Wife's new xc60 had better lights though. Any issues with yours? For all we know they made them less bright to get a higher rating!

It looks like they made the reflector throw their the beam a bit wider and reduced glare reading the iihs page.

2018 Tesla Model 3

I don't think your missing out on much, it looks like the tweaks redirected light on the right hand sidesid get a higher iihs score, but sacrifice s little in the left. better balance more but it does not look beer significant looking at the charts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
FWIW a tech mentioned to me the new lights resolved an issue with (a small set?) of 'eyebrow' lights going out.. mine fine still but he said I had the old ones

The difference IIHS is talking about would be due to a change in the reflector design to gather and project the light more efficiently and wouldn't have anything to do with faulty accent lights.

My car was built in June. But I bought it In July... does that count? I feel that the lights give out a nice wide view at night assuming I have the gen one light assembly. It would be great to see a YouTube blogger post the differences with a side by side comparison.

Reactions: preilly44
I have a May and Sept build Model 3. I cannot tell the difference. I tried both back to back last night. Even in front of the garage so I could see if the beam shape was different or brighter.

Both are better than other cars I have had in the past.

It's also possible that IIHS is simply wrong and that whatever revision to the reflector design took place happened sooner than May production.

How do you find build date of your car?

Mine shows on my receipt from when I bought the car. There are also various other stickers that I kept when from when the car was new.

The one I most refer to is that giant paper that was taped to the inside of the rear seat window. ( there is a name for it ) that all new cars get that has the mileage on it. That shows my build month.

Reactions: iMoe