Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better panel gaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just put a deposit on a MYSR, however I just watched Sandy’s interview with Musk who says they’ve impressed fit and finished as of late December when pressed about the door panel gaps. Has anyone noticed a definitive improvement in this area?

Took delivery of my SR over the weekend and I dont have any panel gap issues vin 107xxx

I was looking over my Dad’s almost 1 year old MY last weekend, as I have a M3 on order. His panel gaps were better than those on my Mom’s new Ford Edge, by a wide margin.

I think the whole panel gaps thing is totally overblown these days, same with the “low quality paint” issues. No out of control rock chips on his MY either.

Not saying these were never problems with Tesla, but they have largely been remediated but remain urban legend at this point.

From everything I’ve seen, Tesla is on par with other car manufacturers at this stage. No one makes a perfect car, look for problems and you’ll find them.

Tim

Last edited:
I was looking over my Dad’s almost 1 year old MY last weekend, as I have a M3 on order. His panel gaps were better than that of my Mom’s new Ford Edge, by a wide margin.

I think the whole panel gaps thing is totally out of control these days, same with the “low quality paint” issues. No rock chips either.

Not saying these were never problems with Tesla, but they have largely been remediated but remain urban legend at this point.

From everything I’ve seen, Tesla is on par with other car manufacturers at this stage, no one makes a perfect car.

Tim

my exact sentiments

i have rejected a delivery last Dec. on a LR MY Vin 9xxxx. The passenger door and window was not aligned correctly. It was pretty bad, window cannot seal to the rubber.

I walked around and checked on other MY on the lot, at least 10 of them, they were all perfect.

My point is: I believe tesla has improved the quality overtime, and there are many example of good MY out there. But there are still few bad apples out there, you just don’t see them.

Is other car manufacturers better?? Probably not. The difference is when their car are delivered to the Bmw or porsche dealership, the dealership will prep the car and correct them and make them acceptable.

Instead, tesla will push the car to the customer and called them “within spec “

I like Teslas very much and enjoy driving them but I disagree with most of the comments above about Tesla being equal with other manufacturers on fit and finish. I rejected two Model Y’s at year end because they were very bad in terms of both paint and alignment and I give them quite a bit or slack. We own a dealership and we have our own body guys so I have my guys repair paint and panel alignment defects ourselves because it is easier than dealing with Tesla. With all due respect if someone thinks that Tesla cars are up to industry standards of fit and finish they are confused.

Reactions: xgman and laughMan
Thanks everyone. I just finished all the rest of the paperwork. it says the estimated range is February 14 through march 14. any idea within that range when it could be? Im up here in Washington state
It’s quite normal...in a few days they will match you with a VIN number and then the delivery estimate will be more accurate...
Basically...if the vehicle you asked for exists as inventory somewhere out there then you will get your car closer to Feb 14th...if they have to wait for one to be built then the delivery will be closer to March 14th...
I ordered my SR MY Jan 27 and I have a delivery date of Feb 11...I ordered a white one with Black rims and white interior...they matched me with a VIN within 2 days of ordering it...my SR said the one I got assigned was just leaving the Freemont factory enroute to Florida...which is where I live...

No body panel issues on my 88xxx MY LR. I lurked at my SC for several weeks, late Nov-Dec. The QC average wasn't 100%, but much higher than I expected, based on all the negative posts here.

The hood? I think Tesla made a very poor design choice with the "inset" hood design. The slightest deviation in either the hood stamping or the front fascia molding is the first thing anyone notices, looking at the car straight on. Mine isn't perfect from most angles, but sometimes the angle of the sun makes it look less than perfect.

I just got matched with a vin. Now it’s saying Feb 8-14... that was quick
Don’t be too concerned...it is my understanding that Tesla is pumping out truck loads of Model Ys in anticipation for a higher demand...
I am willing to bet your MY was NOT a reject...
To give you an example...my original MY was supposed to be delivered on Feb 3rd...which was too soon for me...I wasn’t ready to accept it...so they just unmatched me from that vehicle and got matched to a different one arriving later...so if anyone in my area ordered the same car they would have had one ready for delivery right away...

Seems like Tesla is making progress with quality as their experience grows. Elon mentioned that he noticed that initial prototype and early production is pretty good. It is when they are ramping up production and putting pressure on the factories to increase speed, it takes some time to sort out the bottlenecks. This is when issues appear. By the time production is at full speed they usually have most of the issues taken care of.

Seems like most of the current production is pretty good, but some clinkers still can get through.

Thoughts are that the new Mega Castings will enable a much higher basis to make the "perfect build". Makes sense that the more precise the base the better the finished products.

That worries me that this may then be a return when it comes so fast.

@xgman note that @21M3SR is in Seattle, so the vehicle doesn't have far to travel from Fremont. I don't think this is necessarily a return. (And in fact, you can't return Teslas any more once you accept them, so technically it would be a reject if anything.)

EDIT: just noticed I must have had this tab open for a while and now my reply here seems repetitive. Sorry about that.

Normal. They routinely go radio silence while getting your car ready for delivery.

Once all your paperwork is in, insurance, payment, etc, they will reach out to let you know when they expect your car to be ready for pickup.

Sometimes things go wrong and delivery can even be delayed at the last moment if something comes up.

i have rejected a delivery last Dec. on a LR MY Vin 9xxxx. The passenger door and window was not aligned correctly. It was pretty bad, window cannot seal to the rubber.

I walked around and checked on other MY on the lot, at least 10 of them, they were all perfect.

My point is: I believe tesla has improved the quality overtime, and there are many example of good MY out there. But there are still few bad apples out there, you just don’t see them.

Is other car manufacturers better?? Probably not. The difference is when their car are delivered to the Bmw or porsche dealership, the dealership will prep the car and correct them and make them acceptable.

Instead, tesla will push the car to the customer and called them “within spec “
The problem is that a few cars get delivered that should be flagged at the factory.